Can I bring wine on board?

socal4me

You can also bring wine aboard at the various ports. So, if you can't handle your luggage plus your wine at embarkation, you are not out of luck. However, the 'free' bottle is embarkation only.

10 hours ago, socal4me said:

I just read a thread about the wine package that offered and I am not 4 stars. 

Can I bring wine onboard and pay a corkage fee? I thought that wasn't permitted.

10 hours ago, socal4me said:

Can I bring wine onboard and pay a corkage fee? I thought that wasn't permitted.

Yes you can, one per person

you can take extra but are charged corkage for the extra bottles 

we have only taken the bottels allowed 

even though they say they charge you in the restaurants, we had bought a few wine pageages, as they had a three or five wine package from memory.

our waiter did not charge us to take the bottle into the restaurant, but we had asked him as it as our anniversary and we took a really nice bottle for that dinner 

not sure if this happens all the time 

11 hours ago, socal4me said:

What you may want to look at is the actual retail cost of the bottles wine in the packages and add the $18 corkage fee to see which  way is cost effective. Most cruise lines including HAL mark up wines about 3-4 times retail, wines in the presold packages are a little less in average cost over buying individually.  My experience too is that the lower priced wines on the ship usually end up sold out after the first 2 or 3 days of the cruise. If you buy a wine package you are guaranteed that those wines will be available during your cruise.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

What you may want to look at is the actual retail cost of the bottles wine in the packages and add the $18 corkage fee to see which  way is cost effective. Most cruise lines including HAL mark up wines about 3-4 times retail, wines in the presold packages are a little less in average cost over buying individually.  My experience too is that the lower priced wines on the ship usually end up sold out after the first 2 or 3 days of the cruise. If you buy a wine package you are guaranteed that those wines will be available during your cruise.

Bolding is mine.

If you buy a wine package, you are not guaranteed those wines will be available.  If they run out, they run out.  But, what they will do is substitute the sold out wine for another, better one without a change in the price if you have the wine package.

At least, that is what has always happened on our cruises.

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

Bolding is mine.

If you buy a wine package, you are not guaranteed those wines will be available.  If they run out, they run out.  But, what they will do is substitute the sold out wine for another, better one without a change in the price if you have the wine package.

At least, that is what has always happened on our cruises.

You are correct, but if there is a particular wine in your package that you want more than one bottle available you can have the wine server hold them the first night in the MDR and they will be marked for your cabin number for drinking later in the cruise.

Just back from Koningsdam and there were lots of people appearing in the naughty room on embarkation day!  One guy had two bottles of J.D. wrapped in bubble wrap and Alu foil.  Tried to tell the security officer that he didn't know he couldn't bring it on board.  Got a bit upset when it went into storage for him!

So remember - wine only (750ml) and in carry on!

Edited by VMax1700