HAL Mariner Wine Packages Are No More?

Kynana

4 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Oceaneer (deliberate sp). does charge $25 for corkage IIRC and that was 5 years ago.  That's a lot more profit than HAL.

Your right in respect IF you take to restaurants! This is for cabin use only! We have the Prestige Package includes all of their fine wines . 

I guess Oceaneer is fitting😊

Denise😊

37 minutes ago, kazu said:

Really?  On what basis?

Fall out will happen.  ship choices are shrinking so there are lots of options out there where you can bring wine on without corkage.  Yes, those are premium + lines, but there are a lot of people that sail one ship (which is leaving) and it's price is not cheap so the jump isn't that high.

HAL will shoot themselves in the foot if they do this IMO, but what do I know?  I'm not in charge - I just know what I will do for certain cruises 😉

No basis, just a speculative guess on what'll do to boost profit growth.  Especially if the other lines are doing well enough and they can take a hit at HAL for a few months.

I'm trying a some-drinks-inclusive semi-luxury line for a 27 nighter next year.  Per diem costs are not bad, and comparable if not cheaper than HAL (especially for a ship with ~1/3 the pax of the Prinsendam) once you add in the cost of a drinks package and gratuities, let alone Club Orange.  And we already get complimentary laundry, an hour of internet per cruise per person, and excursion credit per cruise.

3 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

No basis, just a speculative guess on what'll do to boost profit growth.  Especially if the other lines are doing well enough and they can take a hit at HAL for a few months.

I'm trying a some-drinks-inclusive semi-luxury line for a 27 nighter next year.  Per diem costs are not bad, and comparable if not cheaper than HAL (especially for a ship with ~1/3 the pax of the Prinsendam) once you add in the cost of a drinks package and gratuities, let alone Club Orange.  And we already get complimentary laundry, an hour of internet per cruise per person, and excursion credit per cruise.

If no basis, then say it's speculative.

Club Orange is only on HAL's big ships, but I'm glad you are happy.

Have a great cruise. I've done the math many times.  I'm sure you found a deal 😉 congrats.

37 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Labour expense savings?  Not that they're paid that much.  If your have to order through the tabet (Celebrity does that as a feature with Qsine - though that's apparently going away), more confirmation.  HAL already cut down on MDR wine servers a few years ago so they're more rushed.

We dined in the Pinnacle Grill every night.  I do not, and should not, expect MDR service in the Grill.

1 hour ago, Kynana said:

Thanks. I feel vindicated. I didn't want to cause an unnecessary uproar, but when I was told by my TA and the Mariners' Desk and the Customer Service Rep, I thought others should be made aware. Thanks to all who contacted HAL. It will be interesting to see what the next surprise will be. 

I'm sure we all appreciate your bringing this to our attention!:classic_smile:  Without you, a lot of us might have had a nasty surprise when we got on board a 'dam ship...

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

In December I will stop by Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale before boarding. Their wine experts are amazing.  They are generous with their time and knowledge and are a pleasure to deal with.  That’s what I expect from a Sommelier on board, but if that’s not what I am going to get I will go elsewhere.

I'm working on my wine list for our cruise next month.  This will be a first time visit to Total Wine in Harbor Shops. 

How does one find these wine experts at Total Wine? 

33 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm working on my wine list for our cruise next month.  This will be a first time visit to Total Wine in Harbor Shops. 

They are all around and will usually find you to offer assistance.  If they are busy helping someone else you can give them a heads up to let them know you have some questions.  I wish I could remember the name of the man who helped us in March.  He was spot-on with his recommendations; even when I questioned one of his choices.  Maybe someone here will remember.  That’s who I’m heading to when I get in the store.

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

They are all around and will usually find you to offer assistance.  If they are busy helping someone else you can give them a heads up to let them know you have some questions.  I wish I could remember the name of the man who helped us in March.  He was spot-on with his recommendations; even when I questioned one of his choices.  Maybe someone here will remember.  That’s who I’m heading to when I get in the store.

Each section has an expert. So if you're in Rhone wines, you'll see little shelf tags that say something like "Gabriel's Favorite."  He's the guy that does the French wines.  Just look at the shelf tags.  There are almost always employees in the aisles to help. They're pretty easy to spot in their white Total Wine shirts. There's also a wine desk about halfway back in the first aisle where you can tell them what you are looking for and they'll hook you up with help.

DON'T FORGET:  Sign up for the TW mailing lists.  Odds are pretty good that you'll get a coupon for wine. The coupons that people on the mailing list get are usually better than the ones that the regular public receives.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

the first time I went there, I was like a kid in a candy store.  We just don't have those selections in our part in Canada, nor at those prices.

As soon as someone saw us browsing we were offered help, what do you prefer, etc. And the 'expert ' in that area came to help us.  Unbelievable.

I found the staff there congenial, not pushy & not superior - just wanting to help and share their knowledge.

Anytime we are in FLL, this is a "must" stop.  The staff are great and the selections are wonderful 🙂.  It gets 5*'s from Kazu.  You'll have a blast there.

It really is a great store. We're spoiled having it so close. If you are looking for an excellent value in a sparkling wine, try the Roederer Estate Brut. It's $21.97 and scored 93 points from Wine Spectator. That beats wines costing more than twice as much. It's our new everyday sparkling wine. This is a a California wine made by by the same house that makes Cristal 

Edited by POA1

Do you know... I think Gabriel was his name!  He insisted we try a Châteauneuf-du-Pape white which turned out to be amazing.... and I am a red wine person who doesn’t particularly like French wines.  Unfortunately they do not have it at the Total Wine where I live so I have my fingers crossed they still have it down there.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Do you know... I think Gabriel was his name!  He insisted we try a Châteauneuf-du-Pape white which turned out to be amazing.... and I am a red wine person who doesn’t particularly like French wines.  Unfortunately they do not have it at the Total Wine where I live so I have my fingers crossed they still have it down there.

Yes, Gabriel is the French wine guy. Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a Rhone wine. They're in aisle 1 on the left. The reds are mostly grenache, surah & mourvedre. 

9 hours ago, POA1 said:

Yes, Gabriel is the French wine guy. Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a Rhone wine. They're in aisle 1 on the left. The reds are mostly grenache, surah & mourvedre. 

We've enjoyed Rhone wines lately.  Last week we enjoyed a Gigondas which is often called the poor man's Châteauneuf-du-Pape.  Tonight we have a Châteauneuf-du-Pape planned with some beef short ribs.  Both of these wines were "Kirkland" labels found at Costco.  Fully intend to take either a  Châteauneuf-du-Pape or a Gigondas (or both) on the next cruise.

I'm tempted to try a  Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc as well.

Edited by RocketMan275

Wait a minute.  I think I may be off the mark.  I believe it was a Chardonnay — Au Château, Nuits-Saint-Georges from the Bourgogne region.  I took a pic with my phone but I have uploaded it to my laptop at my other place of residence.  I will be there next week so I shall look it up.

We are sailing in a few weeks.  Since it’s so convenient to stop by Total in FLL we will certainly do so.  Another option is the Publix Grocery store.  It works well if you are short on time or not near Total Wines.  It’s easy enough to carry wine for a 7 day cruise.  We’d rather buy the wine and pay the $18 to be sure we will enjoy what we are drinking with dinner.  It sounds like HAL is in between offerings so their stock may be a bit lacking at the moment.  I am always curious about the ship “sommeliers.”  Very few actually have a certificate and a badge.

6 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

We are sailing in a few weeks.  Since it’s so convenient to stop by Total in FLL we will certainly do so.  Another option is the Publix Grocery store.  It works well if you are short on time or not near Total Wines.  It’s easy enough to carry wine for a 7 day cruise.  We’d rather buy the wine and pay the $18 to be sure we will enjoy what we are drinking with dinner.  It sounds like HAL is in between offerings so their stock may be a bit lacking at the moment.  I am always curious about the ship “sommeliers.”  Very few actually have a certificate and a badge.

Those are the reasons we're taking our wine aboard ship next month.  Come on over to the thread on what wines to buy at total wine.

Looking for updates on what current cruisers are experiencing.  We board Nov 11 for 21 days. Thx for any new info.

I really would prefer not to carry on wine, have no car in Fort Lauderdale to go shopping and taking it from NM is too hard and not worth it.  Was hoping to get a 4-bottle package with 4* discount, but will do without if necessary; we don't drink much at home because we are always on call for 911 response - rural volunteer EMS and Fire department - so a cruise is a nice time to have some wine.  I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.   m--