HAL Mariner Wine Packages Are No More?

Kynana

17 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Looking for updates on what current cruisers are experiencing.  We board Nov 11 for 21 days. Thx for any new info.

I really would prefer not to carry on wine, have no car in Fort Lauderdale to go shopping and taking it from NM is too hard and not worth it.  Was hoping to get a 4-bottle package with 4* discount, but will do without if necessary; we don't drink much at home because we are always on call for 911 response - rural volunteer EMS and Fire department - so a cruise is a nice time to have some wine.  I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.   m--

Where are you staying in Fort Lauderdale?  You may not need a car to go shopping.

If they drop the wine packages and 4 =  5* DISCOUNTS  we will just have another cocktail with dinner. Don't they know that their cruisers are aware of their games and can outsmart them We've been around the block  since we are older and wiser.

Got off the Zdam a few days ago, and saw HAL'S  new wine offerings.

They 4 or 6 or 8 bottles packages, and these can be had at three levels of price/quality.

The six bottles at level one is a tad more than the older 5 bottles package, wich is a better deal.

As a four star mariner I did receive the 50%  discount off the wine package.

Hope this will alleviate some worries on this thread 😊

3 hours ago, OceanTraveller4ever said:

Got off the Zdam a few days ago, and saw HAL'S  new wine offerings.

They 4 or 6 or 8 bottles packages, and these can be had at three levels of price/quality.

The six bottles at level one is a tad more than the older 5 bottles package, wich is a better deal.

As a four star mariner I did receive the 50%  discount off the wine package.

Hope this will alleviate some worries on this thread 😊

Good news that you got your discount on your wine package.

But, the 4, 6, 8 bottle packages are not new.  They were brought out a while ago.  The new one with the new affiliation is not out yet.

We are on the Rotterdam for 21 days. We purchased 2 wine packages and received credit for the 50% discount onboard after we asked for it. It appears that it's still in effect but there are new wine pkg brochures being distributed with a 25%  discount plus additional 15% gratuity. But the small print says Mariners receive additional off. It's not clear what the future holds but now all seems well on this cruise.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kynana said:

We are on the Rotterdam for 21 days. We purchased 2 wine packages and received credit for the 50% discount onboard after we asked for it. It appears that it's still in effect but there are new wine pkg brochures being distributed with a 25%  discount plus additional 15% gratuity. But the small print says Mariners receive additional off. It's not clear what the future holds but now all seems well on this cruise.  

I want to confirm what Kynana wrote. I am on the Oosterdam right now on a Europe and TA crossing.

This is a good news...unknown news situation (I don't think there is bad news).

First the good news. Remember that there are no "Mariner wine packages". There are the Sommelier Suite packages which have Cellar 1 Cellar 2 and Cellar 3. These were still available on this sailing and everyone seems to be getting their "favorite" wines from the packages. Most importantly.....4 and 5 star Mariner discounts are still in effect.

Now for the "cloudy future". The cellar master told me that a lot, in fact MOST of the regular wines on the wine list are depleted and not available. In late November and through December, the new "wine guru" will be unveiling his selections (and hopefully packages) for the future. It sounds like the plans are still hush hush and will be sprung on all of the fleet before the new year begins. Everyone I've talked to from the beverage staff seem convinced that there will be some sort of Mariner discount on some sort of packages. The exact details, and the wines in question are yet to be revealed to us mere mortals. HAL often does this. 

I hope this post helps. And now I'm back to my perfectly fine Cellar 1 package................

4 minutes ago, Takes Notes said:

I want to confirm what Kynana wrote. I am on the Oosterdam right now on a Europe and TA crossing.

This is a good news...unknown news situation (I don't think there is bad news).

First the good news. Remember that there are no "Mariner wine packages". There are the Sommelier Suite packages which have Cellar 1 Cellar 2 and Cellar 3. These were still available on this sailing and everyone seems to be getting their "favorite" wines from the packages. Most importantly.....4 and 5 star Mariner discounts are still in effect.

Now for the "cloudy future". The cellar master told me that a lot, in fact MOST of the regular wines on the wine list are depleted and not available. In late November and through December, the new "wine guru" will be unveiling his selections (and hopefully packages) for the future. It sounds like the plans are still hush hush and will be sprung on all of the fleet before the new year begins. Everyone I've talked to from the beverage staff seem convinced that there will be some sort of Mariner discount on some sort of packages. The exact details, and the wines in question are yet to be revealed to us mere mortals. HAL often does this. 

I hope this post helps. And now I'm back to my perfectly fine Cellar 1 package................

I like the Chilean Del Toro Cab and the Danzante Pinot Grigio

• 3 weeks later...

We are just off the Rotterdam. We had a wonderful 21 days. Nothing is perfect, of course. The entertainment quality has gone down, and there was no ship singers and dancers group.

A number of ocean view rooms have moisture inside the glass which makes viewing the outside clearly a problem. Our stateroom (1836 on Dolphin) had one cloudy window. If you have an ocean view room booked on the Rotterdam, you might want to check on that. 

I am attaching the wine package info that was in our room. On the back it says "3 Star and above Mariner Loyalty discounts apply." We received our 50% discount, but since we purchased the package before the cruise, we had to ask for it. Also note that it also says a 15% service charge is applied to all beverage purchases, so that price you see for each package will be 15% more. 

I have a feeling that changes are coming, but just what they are remains a mystery.  Any other questions, feel free to ask. 

IMG_8449.JPG

IMG_8450.jpg

Edited by Kynana

Well, as in the past I usually purchase a package or two prior to a cruise depending on the cruise length. I've already purchased some packages for scheduled 2019 cruises (28 Day June Prinsendam, 46 day October Rotterdam for example) and wondered if the good folks at HAL would honor the earlier purchases with the 50% discount (sort of 'grandfathering').

I purchased several cases prior to the 2018 WC (in which they we're changing over from the Admiral and Navigator packages to the Cellar Master 1,2,3 packages) and the beverage manager was quite amenable as to the change in selection of wines, and the 50% discount on the pre-purchases was reflected as OBC's on my account on Day 1 or 2 of the cruise.  

If they do not honor the discounts as they stand now would cancelling the pre-purchased packages on-board be an option? I would think it might be. I was just curious.

I always take aboard a hard copy of any pre-paid purchases and such and they all have the purchase dates.

It appears under the Terms & Conditions of the Mariner status amenities that all or part of the program can be discontinued without notice as per the Mariner Society benefit site:

". Terms and Conditions Holland America Line's Mariner Society Rewards Program (the "Program") is operated by Holland America Line ("HAL"). HAL reserves the right to modify or terminate the Program, or to change the Terms & Conditions of participation and benefits of the Program, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice. "

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/mariner-society.html 

May everyone have a wonderful Holiday season!

Be well.

Bob

On 10/23/2018 at 3:24 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

It wouldn't surprise me if HAL stopped the discounts. 

HAL starts all these new perks and then takes them away.

Please elaborate - other than (allegedly) cancelling the wine package discount, what other Mariner "perks" has HAL started and then taken away?

On 10/23/2018 at 12:50 PM, Kynana said:

... This is our first full cruise as a 4 star Mariner. The two benefits we worked to receive were the laundry and the wine package. If the wine package is no more, we're definitely looking into other cruise lines. Our loyalty will be a thing of the past. 

Kynana, are you serious or is this Post a joke? :classic_rolleyes::classic_unsure::classic_rolleyes::classic_huh:

This

1 hour ago, avian777 said:

Kynana, are you serious or is this Post a joke? :classic_rolleyes::classic_unsure::classic_rolleyes::classic_huh:

This post is from last month when the information from HAL was that the Mariner wine package benefit had been cancelled. Why are you asking if it is a joke?

Edited by Kynana

2 hours ago, avian777 said:

Please elaborate - other than (allegedly) cancelling the wine package discount, what other Mariner "perks" has HAL started and then taken away?

If you read the prior posts, HAL didn't "allegedly" cancel the wine package discount. They cancelled it and then reinstated it. I'm not going to argue the point any further, but I felt the need to point this out. 

5 hours ago, Kynana said:

If you read the prior posts, HAL didn't "allegedly" cancel the wine package discount. They cancelled it and then reinstated it. I'm not going to argue the point any further, but I felt the need to point this out. 

Kynana, Thanks for your "response" above, but my Post (#142) was addressed to Krazy Kruizers, so I'll wait for KK's reply.

6 hours ago, Kynana said:

This

This post is from last month when the information from HAL was that the Mariner wine package benefit had been cancelled. Why are you asking if it is a joke?

I'm asking because, quite frankly, I really can't imagine that anyone would "work" (as in purchasing multiple HAL cruises) to get "the laundry and the wine package" and (even more amazingly) would quit cruising on HAL "if the wine package is no more".  So if you were serious in making those comments, I apologize because I took them as a joke.

8 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I was surprised by the comment that there were no singers or dancers on the Rotterdam.  Was this a change in policy or just some emergency situation that prevented them from joining the cruise?

I don't know the answer to your question. I should have asked the Cruise Director. I hope someone who has sailed on another HAL ship lately will comment on the singers and dancers and the other entertainment. 

19 hours ago, Kynana said:

We are just off the Rotterdam. We had a wonderful 21 days. Nothing is perfect, of course.

I meant to add that we received the news onboard that HAL is leaving the Port of Tampa next year. We were told that cruises out of Florida will be sailing from Lauderdale after the Rotterdam sails out of Tampa in April.