Deck 8 on Journey—noise problem?

MomC

We are looking at a cruise on the Journey and wanted to book a suite, but the only choice in our category is on deck 8 under the pool deck.  I have had this type of cabin on other cruise lines and I could hear the chairs and tables scraping above my cabin.  What experiences have you had on the Journey?  How about under the buffet restaurant on the same deck?

Any suggestions for a quiet suite on deck 8?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  CC is the absolute BEST source of information.

Mom C

If you go to the top of the Azamara threads page you will find a thread all about cabins. It has a green thumbtack symbol nest to it.  Start at the last page and work your way forward. Soon you will arrive at page 13 which has the latest link to the cabins spreadsheet.

You will need to be logged in to view the spreadsheet.

1 hour ago, MomC said:

We are looking at a cruise on the Journey and wanted to book a suite, but the only choice in our category is on deck 8 under the pool deck.  I have had this type of cabin on other cruise lines and I could hear the chairs and tables scraping above my cabin.  What experiences have you had on the Journey?  How about under the buffet restaurant on the same deck?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  CC is the absolute BEST source of information.

Mom C

Never had an issue in an N2 Club Continent suite.

2 hours ago, MomC said:

Mom C

We have had a few issues with noise on Deck 8 CC suites since the Patio was put in.  8055 and 8057 was the main problem suites and when we spoke with the officers they agreed the feedback on these two had often highlighted that.  

14 hours ago, MomC said:

Mom C

If you are concerned about noise from above then look carefully at the spreadsheet and thread that MNgardens pointed you to.  Some cabins are better than others (speaking from personal experience).

Phil

20 hours ago, uktog said:

We have had a few issues with noise on Deck 8 CC suites since the Patio was put in.  8055 and 8057 was the main problem suites and when we spoke with the officers they agreed the feedback on these two had often highlighted that.  

We are currently on Pursuit and in 8057 - there is no noise from above at any time. It maybe that Pursuit was given extra insulation which suppresses the noise.

I am hoping that might be the case as I think they know of the issue - there was also a noisy cart that trundled back and forward but I know they were going to replace it if they could

2 hours ago, Belfastman said:

We are currently on Pursuit and in 8057 - there is no noise from above at any time. It maybe that Pursuit was given extra insulation which suppresses the noise.

I was in 8025 on Pursuit which is under a quieter area than some and I heard noise from above, so I don't think they have put any additional soundproofing in.  

Phil 

How about those cabins under the Windows Casual dining on deck 9?  I believe that dining venue is carpeted and should be quieter.  Any opinions or experiences in this area on deck 8?.

Mom C

8 hours ago, MomC said:

How about those cabins under the Windows Casual dining on deck 9?  I believe that dining venue is carpeted and should be quieter.  Any opinions or experiences in this area on deck 8?.

Mom C

It may depend which ship you are talking about as Pursuit seems to have better soundproofing in some rooms - though we were in 8033 and heard noise above. 

Deck 8 is the problem the other decks have staterooms with generally quieter guests above. If you are above the kitchen area or service areas on Deck 8 inevitably it’s noisier. 

Of course it all also depends how sensitive your hearing is or is not and whether you typically sleep when others do or not. 

8 minutes ago, uktog said:

It may depend which ship you are talking about as Pursuit seems to have better soundproofing in some rooms

Do you think it does?  I must admit in 8025 I heard noise from above as clearly as on the other ships.  The walls in the new deck 4 window cabins have very thin walls too.  I did a sound test.  I will qualify this by saying I am one of those you mention above who are sensitive to noise.

Phil

I will start my onsite test in a couple of rooms soon Phil, I think there may be a difference in some places but that could well be offset by issues elsewhere - who knows!  

I suspect there is not a blanket "yes" or "no" answer whatever way you look.

Edited by uktog

On 10/28/2018 at 6:23 PM, mnocket said:

I'm actually writing this while sitting in cabin 8035 on Journey. Right under the pool deck. No issue with noise.

Update

There was considerable noise when the crew was setting up for White Night. Other than that we can sometimes hear minor noise from above. It hasn't bothered us, but if you are very sensitive to noise you may want to move down to deck 7.