Alaska cruise May 2019... Celebrity or Cunard?

Stuberto

Hi

My wife and i are looking to book a May Alaska cruise next year. Any advice on whether to go Cunard QE or Celebrity Eclipse.. has anyone been on both or either?

We are not first time cruisers back never been Cunard. Cunard is £200 less bu Celeb has the drinks package so about even given what we drink. 

Does anyone know how their excursion costs compare as Alaska wont be cheap!

Whats food like on Cunard and is entertainment low key or do they have the usual acts? We are mid 30s and enjoy the entertainment on P&O /RCL.... 

You go to AK for the AK experience.  Not for drinks, entertainment or food.  Check on the ports visited and the arrival and departure time in each port and make a decision based on that.  Visiting Glacier Bay should be a must.  If it also visits Hubbard Glacier, that it even better.  

DON

I haven't been on Celebrity nor on QE but I can give an observation from my Holland America cruise.

The midships Lido pool doesn't have a cover. On HAL's Amsterdam this area was a nice place to relax for breakfast more during the day, but only because they could close the retractable roof over the pool almost completely. I think it made a difference in being able to enjoy areas of the ship. I might give an edge to a ship that can enclose the midships pool area and uncover it on a nicer day (which may be scarce in May compared to August).

If you can accommodate the longer cruise I highly recommend HAL's 14 day round trip itinerary out of Seattle.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

You go to AK for the AK experience.  Not for drinks, entertainment or food.  Check on the ports visited and the arrival and departure time in each port and make a decision based on that.  Visiting Glacier Bay should be a must.  If it also visits Hubbard Glacier, that it even better.  

DON

I can agree 100% . Alaska is the draw . Compare itineraries not just drink packages and entertainment . There are other cruise lines like Princess and HAL with multiple ships & itineraries and have been doing Alaska cruises almost  forever .

Edited by MCC retired

Lots of good advice so far. You mentioned previous cruises with P&O, which is still fairly formal. Cunard is even more formal than P&O.

Having worked for P&O - UK as navigator, completing a couple of Alaska seasons on Princess Ships, I probably have more time in Alaska than most, so I suggest re-thinking your question. Alaska is not about the ship or cruise line, it is all about scenery and tours.

I would base my decision on which cruise gives the most time in port and goes to the best ports/glaciers. Only 2 ships per day get into Glacier Bay, which in my opinion is a must for a first time visitor. I would also suggest a cruise to or from Vancouver, as they have both R/T and 1-way options. Seattle cruises must be R/T so can't do Prince William Sound and also head out and up the Pacific Ocean, rather than the Inside Passage.

My recommendation is a 1-way N'bd or S'bd between Prince William Sound & Vancouver, with Glacier Bay a must.

While we no longer use Princess, in Alaska I still suggest Princess & HAL are the Alaska experts.

Alaska is all about the scenery.

You need to decide what ports you want to see.  Also check to see how long you are in the ports on the various ships.

You need to select a ship that goes to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

Princess and Holland American have been in the Alaskan cruise business the longest and know what they are doing.

I took the "Glacier Bay is a must" advice too much to heart, almost too long. Almost missed the HAL 14-day Seattle R/T and it really should be considered! Sitka, Anchorage, Kodiak, and some of the smaller ports made up for missing the train trip in Skagway. Hubbard was equally (but differently) as stunning as Glacier Bay. And we all enjoyed Butchart Gardens in Victoria, renting car instead of the ship's tour for maximum time there.

• Like 1