Dinner on the Edge only offered once per cruise?

WonderMan3

Just downloaded the Celebrity app and was scrolling through my Edge booking when I noticed on the Magic Carpet that it says Dinner on the Edge will only be offered once per cruise. I don’t recall hearing that being stated anywhere before. It certainly explains why they are waiting to book until you are onboard (along with being able to get a better idea of weather closer in). I wonder how the reservations will be handled though? Will priority be given to Zenith/Elite Plus or Suites first? I read that the MC can only accommodate 100 for dinner, so that means only 100 (or 200 if they do two seatings) people will get to experience Dinner on the Edge per cruise. That’s kind of a bummer, especially when the MC has been hyped so much.

6168E117-25E9-4803-B29B-3C9445447E6F.png

I believe that when it is stopped on deck 5 at “Raw on 5” guests will be able to eat on the MC as well. The schedule on my X App shows the MC will be on Raw on 5 from 12-1:30 pm for Lunch and 6-10 pm for dinner on day 1 of the Dec. 9 cruise.

Edited by C-Dragons

47 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I believe that when it is stopped on deck 5 at “Raw on 5” guests will be able to eat on the MC as well. The schedule on my X App shows the MC will be on Raw on 5 from 12-1:30 pm for Lunch and 6-10 pm for dinner on day 1 of the Dec. 9 cruise.

Yes, but I meant the Dinner on the Edge which will be up on 16 with a separate menu and should be a fantastic experience with amazing views which you won't get off of Deck 5. I'm not really interested in the Raw on 5 menu so was looking forward to doing the Dinner on the Edge. Hope I'll be able to get in!

9 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes, but I meant the Dinner on the Edge which will be up on 16 with a separate menu and should be a fantastic experience with amazing views which you won't get off of Deck 5. I'm not really interested in the Raw on 5 menu so was looking forward to doing the Dinner on the Edge. Hope I'll be able to get in!

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, at the moment dinner on the Edge is offered only once per cruise. We're not interested in it, but I wish you luck!

At one point Celebrity was advertising that if you booked a dinning package, it could be used for  Dinner on the Edge. I feel like with La Petit, that was only going to be offered once or twice per cruise but now will be offered twice per night, Dinner on the Edge will be offered more often. There is no way Celebrity is going to loose money, if people want to be have Dinner on the Edge, weather permitting.  

My guess is that, unless they offer Dinner on the Edge every night, it won't be offered as part of the dining package.  Ivana, the Edge Corporate Dining person had said that it wasn't included in the package early on. It could have changed if they also changed their minds and are going to do DOTE more than once/week.

I agree that Suites and higher CC levels may be more apt to get a table if it is only once a week. Higher level suites (30 of them on the Edge) will receive a call from the shore concierge prior to the cruise and maybe they will be able to book before the cruise? My guess is that, if it isn't extremely expensive, it will be so popular (and people will be very vocal if they can't do it) that they will eventually do it a few times each cruise.

I read somewhere that they may do other dining events on the MC on 16. There may be some other options.  I'll try to find that info again. :classic_smile:

30 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

My guess is that, unless they offer Dinner on the Edge every night, it won't be offered as part of the dining package.  Ivana, the Edge Corporate Dining person had said that it wasn't included in the package early on. It could have changed if they also changed their minds and are going to do DOTE more than once/week.

I agree that Suites and higher CC levels may be more apt to get a table if it is only once a week. Higher level suites (30 of them on the Edge) will receive a call from the shore concierge prior to the cruise and maybe they will be able to book before the cruise? My guess is that, if it isn't extremely expensive, it will be so popular (and people will be very vocal if they can't do it) that they will eventually do it a few times each cruise.

I read somewhere that they may do other dining events on the MC on 16. There may be some other options.  I'll try to find that info again. :classic_smile:

My Blue Chip level gets me shoreside concierge service so I will definitely be inquiring about booking the Dinner on the Edge through them when they contact me. It could be that they expect frequent windy days during cruising that wouldn’t allow them to offer the DOTE on many nights do better to say one night per cruise and set expectations low. Then onboard if they are able to offer it on more than one night all the better for guests.

33 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

My Blue Chip level gets me shoreside concierge service so I will definitely be inquiring about booking the Dinner on the Edge through them when they contact me. It could be that they expect frequent windy days during cruising that wouldn’t allow them to offer the DOTE on many nights do better to say one night per cruise and set expectations low. Then onboard if they are able to offer it on more than one night all the better for guests.

Hope the shore concierge is able to book it for you. You could be right about decreasing expectations because of the weather. I hope the stars align and I am able to book it for a perfect night! :classic_smile:

enhance

We’re sailing in a suite on one of the preview sailings.  I was contacted by the shoreside concierge today and got the follow up email.  Dinner on the Edge cannot be booked in advance even for suite guests.  Not sure if it will be first come first serve upon boarding or if there will be some slots set aside for premium guests.  I’ll know next month!

11 minutes ago, ATLgirl15 said:

We’re sailing in a suite on one of the preview sailings.  I was contacted by the shoreside concierge today and got the follow up email.  Dinner on the Edge cannot be booked in advance even for suite guests.  Not sure if it will be first come first serve upon boarding or if there will be some slots set aside for premium guests.  I’ll know next month!

Thanks for letting us know! :classic_smile:

On 11/2/2018 at 7:21 PM, vtcruising said:

I'm only in a Sky Suite, so probably won't get the shoreside call – but I hate alfresco dining under the best of circumstances, so you can have my slot :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have just posted this on a similar thread but thought that it would not do any harm to post here too. This is the reply we got from Celebrity when we asked about booked the MC:

Our Magic Carpet is not Pre Cruise bookable option due to its purposes on beautiful Edge – Our Magic Carpet will be used for tendering purposes, it will be a lounge by the pool, sometimes will be attached to our Raw on 5 Specialty Restaurant as an extension.. and unfortunately sometimes due to bad weather might not be operational.

Taking into consideration its complexity we have excluded it from our Pre Cruise Planner, but assure you that everyone will be given the same opportunity to make reservations for Magic Carpet once they board the ship. We would encourage you to make reservations in one of our Specialty Restaurants and if you do not want to dine there in the end, you can cancel your reservation.

There will be reservations desk onboard Edge or you can simply walk to Magic Carpet and make your reservation there with one of our Maitreds

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I have just posted this on a similar thread but thought that it would not do any harm to post here too. This is the reply we got from Celebrity when we asked about booked the MC:

Our Magic Carpet is not Pre Cruise bookable option due to its purposes on beautiful Edge – Our Magic Carpet will be used for tendering purposes, it will be a lounge by the pool, sometimes will be attached to our Raw on 5 Specialty Restaurant as an extension.. and unfortunately sometimes due to bad weather might not be operational.

Taking into consideration its complexity we have excluded it from our Pre Cruise Planner, but assure you that everyone will be given the same opportunity to make reservations for Magic Carpet once they board the ship. We would encourage you to make reservations in one of our Specialty Restaurants and if you do not want to dine there in the end, you can cancel your reservation.

There will be reservations desk onboard Edge or you can simply walk to Magic Carpet and make your reservation there with one of our Maitreds

Thanks for the info! I wonder if they will schedule the DOTE's during each cruise, at least in part, according to weather reports - in other words, evaluate the upcoming weather and pre-schedule and offer them once the dates with promising weather are known (as opposed to making it a pattern, such as every Monday or the second formal night, for example). It would make sense so that they would be less apt to be canceled due to weather.

Edited by vtcruising

8 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the info! I wonder if they will schedule the DOTE's during each cruise, at least in part, according to weather reports - in other words, evaluate the upcoming weather and pre-schedule and offer them once the dates with promising weather are known (as opposed to making it a pattern, such as every Monday or the second formal night, for example). It would make sense so that they would be less apt to be canceled due to weather.

We go in August and want to book the day we are in Sicily. It has generally been ok in the past but you only have to have a storm brewing in that part of Italy or particularly windy weather going through the straits and the MC is not usable. (Well imagine it won't be). I know that we will be away from Messina and going the other way (from Catania to Malta) but I think it still tends to be windy.

Edited by Presto2

On 11/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, Presto2 said:

We would encourage you to make reservations in one of our Specialty Restaurants and if you do not want to dine there in the end, you can cancel your reservation.

So are they telling us to book specialty restaurants now and cancel once onboard if you choose?  Do you get a full refund?

Also... does Celebrity really want people to reserve spots at specialties to only cancel once onboard?

Those are all serious questions. Thank you-

1 minute ago, floralscent said:

So are they telling us to book specialty restaurants now and cancel once onboard if you choose?  Do you get a full refund?

Also... does Celebrity really want people to reserve spots at specialties to only cancel once onboard?

You need to cancel 24 hrs ahead to get a full refund (or at least that has been my experience in the past). It happens all the time because there may be something else scheduled onboard that they want to do at that time. I have swapped my reservations or canceled for that reason. They don't blink an eye because they know that they will most likely sell the spot to someone else. :classic_smile:

11 hours ago, floralscent said:

I think what they meant in that particular email was to make reservations for DOTE in a specialty restaurant as soon as you can and cancel if you don't want it.

Dinner on Edge shows up on the Celebrity app for my sailing. Dinner is listed at $100 and Brunch at $50. This was for Day 2.

Edit - There is also a listing for dinner on Day 1, "Magic Carpet on Five", 6pm - 10pm

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

Looks like the pricing has changed for Dinner on the Edge, dropped from $100 to $75.

I inquired with the shoreside concierge to find out what evening(s) during our cruise that they will offer DOTE. She said they do not know that and the decision is not made until once we are onboard which is why reservations cannot be made in advance.

922D19D6-BF95-411C-AA39-7D14AD35072E.png

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Looks like the pricing has changed for Dinner on the Edge, dropped from $100 to $75.

I inquired with the shoreside concierge to find out what evening(s) during our cruise that they will offer DOTE. She said they do not know that and the decision is not made until once we are onboard which is why reservations cannot be made in advance.

922D19D6-BF95-411C-AA39-7D14AD35072E.png

Interesting how the prices are going up and down on things. I'm glad it is cheaper (now that I blew the OBC on the cabana 😉).  We'll see if I can get a reservation onboard - it will depend on the weather and demand, I guess.