Newark airport to New York port for New England cruise?

phabric

I have never used Newark airport or cruised out of New York port.

I am planning a New England/Canada Cruise.  I will be flying from Toronto, Canada and Newark was suggested to fly to.

How far is the port from the Airport?

Are there shuttles from the airport to the port?

Is it better to use Princess transfer?

It depends on the route and traffic. Probably an hour drive. This is one time I would recommend the Princess transfer.

If you want to take a private car service the cost will probably over $100 + tolls. Taxi will probably be around the same. Uber maybe a little less. There is no easy public transportation.

The problem with the taxis is they are registered in either NY or NJ. Unless I am mistaken, they cannot pick up passengers in the other state. So a taxi from Brooklyn can drop you at Newark Airport, but would then have to return to NYC empty.

• Like 1

We did just that last year.  We flew into EWR (what a mess of an airport BTW) and then took a car service to/from the ship.  It was expensive - just let me warn you.  We used Dial 7 and Carmel but I don't remember which one was the one that tried to charge us double what our reservation quote said once we got to the port.  Thank God I had my print out confirming the rate.  I had to argue with the office manager a bit but she finally said she'd honor what they quoted. 
The other car service's driver kept falling asleep constantly while driving.  He kept eating Cheerios to try to keep himself awake.  It was a really scary drive back to the airport and I don't scare easily.   Also, remember that'll you'll have to pay tolls in addition to the rate you get quoted.
Next time, I think we'll fly into JFK.  It's easier IMO to get to the pier from there and the transfers are about 1/2 the cost.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
typo

For the New England/Canada cruise, Princess list the embarkment port as New York.  Coming from Toronto, Canada, we have a choice of airlines and airports to fly to, with many flights a day.

Which airport would be better to fly to, JFK or EWR or LGA?

36 minutes ago, phabric said:

For the New England/Canada cruise, Princess list the embarkment port as New York.  Coming from Toronto, Canada, we have a choice of airlines and airports to fly to, with many flights a day.

LGA is usually best.

2 hours ago, releck97 said:

LaGuardia is closest to Brooklyn and a cheap $35 Uber/Lyft ride. Westjet flies into LGA.

We're planning to fly in a couple of days ahead of our cruise next summer and stay at a friend's apartment in Brooklyn.  Will it be easy to get an Uber to the port from an apt near the Brooklyn promenade?  Or would it be better to just plan on calling a cab?

9 hours ago, pompeii said:

We're planning to fly in a couple of days ahead of our cruise next summer and stay at a friend's apartment in Brooklyn.  Will it be easy to get an Uber to the port from an apt near the Brooklyn promenade?  Or would it be better to just plan on calling a cab?

Uber is easy to get in Brooklyn.

17 hours ago, phabric said:

LGA or JFK are a toss up. LGA is a little closer, but not much in terms of time. EWR is in New Jersey and a longer more expensive transfer including high tolls. I would recommend a Princess transfer if you use EWR.

On 11/4/2018 at 12:01 PM, pompeii said:

We're booked on the Greenland cruise next August, and our personalizer shows they are now $39 to or from any of the airports.  New York is one of the ports where they are worth it. 

I agree that Princess transfers are probably worth it to/from Newark.  But it is easier and cheaper to get to LGA by other methods, especially if more than one person is traveling.

If I had a choice, I too would choose LGA rather than JFK or EWR for a Princess cruise departing from Brooklyn.

Edited by frugaltravel

Princess' transfers to JFK are more expensive than a private car service if there are 2 of you. 

Same with EWR but I still think it's better to use the Princess transfer for that airport due to our experiences noted above. 

Not sure about LGA other than it's closer but many report it being a pain to get into/out of.

3 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Princess' transfers to JFK are more expensive than a private car service if there are 2 of you. 

Same with EWR but I still think it's better to use the Princess transfer for that airport due to our experiences noted above. 

Not sure about LGA other than it's closer but many report it being a pain to get into/out of.

We used to take a car service all the time in NY.......was around $60-$70 per car up to 4, not anymore. They have gotten expensive now.

Princess transfer for 2 @ $34 pp. Not sure where you could get a private car service from JFK for less then $68.

Maybe Uber/Lyft.

The Princess transfer is $34 pp from JFK/EWR/LGA to Brooklyn.

3 hours ago, phabric said:

I booked New England/Canada on Tuesday.  I took the transfers from JFK, LGA, EWR it is $50.70 Canadian and $30.20 Canadian from port to the airport.

I would take the $30.20 Canadian.  😉

Just paid the $34 from LGA to the port last week. It was the same for all 3.

34 minutes ago, phabric said:

I booked New England/Canada on Tuesday.  I took the transfers from JFK, LGA, EWR it is $50.70 Canadian and $30.20 Canadian from port to the airport.

The prices are Princess transfers in Canadian as is my booking. It is the same price from the 3 Airports to the dock.

I wonder why it is more expensive going to the port from the airport since it would be the same  distance from port to the 3 Airports?

Edited by phabric

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We used to take a car service all the time in NY.......was around $60-$70 per car up to 4, not anymore. They have gotten expensive now.

Princess transfer for 2 @ $34 pp. Not sure where you could get a private car service from JFK for less then $68.

Maybe Uber/Lyft.

The Princess transfer is $34 pp from JFK/EWR/LGA to Brooklyn.

Dial7 has it for $49-$54 total depending on the coupon you use.  Even with a 20% tip, that's still cheaper than the cruise line transfers and you get a private vehicle all to yourself.  They move a lot faster than the cruise line buses and you get to leave the airport when YOU want to, not when the bus driver decides you do.

3 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Dial7 has it for $49-$54 total depending on the coupon you use.  Even with a 20% tip, that's still cheaper than the cruise line transfers and you get a private vehicle all to yourself.  They move a lot faster than the cruise line buses and you get to leave the airport when YOU want to, not when the bus driver decides you do.

Oh I have used all of them. 

Dial 7

Arecibo

Cadman.

Have used a coupon. Have never seen a coupon.  

But anyway last week I used the Princess transfer because my flight arrived at 1:25pm and needed assurance to get to the pier before sailing.

Traffic was really jacked up so o am glad I did.