Water temperature in December

wlbox

That’s really subjective.  It won’t be cold but it won’t be like bath water either.  It also depends some on where you’re from.  I’m from the Houston area and when it gets below 45 I start to go into hibernation.  I get laughed at by some of my friends from up north.  

I am on my phone or I would attempt to Google  with "average water temperature Roatan". My guess is the dive community has such a thing. 

Another thing to consider is Dec is in the middle of rainy season. It may effect water temps and visibility. 

Much later from a different location with my laptop....

https://www.seatemperature.org/central-america/honduras/roatan-december.htm

I have heard people say they wear something called a rashguard for a bit of warmth. I have never found the sea to be cold mostly because I am moving.  I also wear a men's longsleeved shirt to wade off sunshine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 9:01 PM, wlbox said:

We want to snorkel during our port stop in Roatan.  Will the water temperature be warm?      

Define warm!

I always wear a shortie wetsuit. It provides some warmth, and protection from things in the water.

The water is not "warm" like it would be in southern Caribbean and it is the rainy season so cloudy days etc when water is cooler, maybe upper 70s. If you book tour ahead just be aware December weather can be very iffy so you might want to check with tour operator re policies. Some days it rains all day, some days part of the day, some days not at all. 

On 11/24/2018 at 11:29 PM, Host Carolyn said:

The water is not "warm" like it would be in southern Caribbean and it is the rainy season so cloudy days etc when water is cooler, maybe upper 70s. If you book tour ahead just be aware December weather can be very iffy so you might want to check with tour operator re policies. Some days it rains all day, some days part of the day, some days not at all. 

I agree.  We went in January and it poured most of the day.  We didn't really get to enjoy ourselves (we had little kids).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was just in Roatan last week.  I would be shocked if the water temp was above 72.  We live near Dallas and have a pool.  I don't go in it until the water hits at least 82.  My preferred temp is about 87 in the water!

The water last week was cold.  It reminded me of the pool we had in Northern Illinois.  We went into the water as kids no matter how cold it was.  I think our pool back then never got above 65 to 70.  

If you're from the far North, the water temp will feel great!  If you're from the South (we've lived in Texas for 30 years), you'll find the water a bit too cold for lots of swimming.