Ship to Replace Anthem in Bayonne

5 minutes ago, Sunfun68 said:

I just returned from a Bermuda cruise on the Anthem; at the Captain's corner, the captain said the Oasis will return to Bayonne the summer of 2020.  I don't know if they will take on a million gallons of balast, lower their stacks and sail only at low tide, but RCL appears intent on sailing the Oasis out of Bayonne.  Since the Oasis' listed height is 236' and the Verrazano allows ships up to 228' tall, this should be interesting.  I know one thing though, if you want to part in the parking garage when the Oasis comes to town, arrive early.  We arrived about 12:30 and parked in a spot only about ten feet from the edge of the roof on the 4th floor.

Captain Srecko also boasted that Symphony would be a stretched Oasis class ship.   

3 hours ago, Sunfun68 said:

I just returned from a Bermuda cruise on the Anthem; at the Captain's corner, the captain said the Oasis will return to Bayonne the summer of 2020.  I don't know if they will take on a million gallons of balast, lower their stacks and sail only at low tide, but RCL appears intent on sailing the Oasis out of Bayonne.  Since the Oasis' listed height is 236' and the Verrazano allows ships up to 228' tall, this should be interesting.  I know one thing though, if you want to part in the parking garage when the Oasis comes to town, arrive early.  We arrived about 12:30 and parked in a spot only about ten feet from the edge of the roof on the 4th floor.

How can it return if it’s never been there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

there is a point if a funnel retraction mechanism malfunctions up until a dry dock because the mechanism is broken then where would it go. so a whole new port just for the ship further from new york would have to be constructed  for an . the largest in this position is stamford. the ship would have to seasonally be based there because of weather.

The city of stamford would act like citavecchia in rome  for the oasis class if it royal caribbean wanted to bring her to the new york market both having extensive rail and both be where cruise ships access port cities away from the away from the major city. The investment in port would be be probably less than the cost of the ship.if royal caribbean bases her out of there for 20 years definely break even. the intineraries would include the follow ports with extended in (canada and new england): New London, Connecticut, Boston, Masssacheutts, Portland, Maine, Saint John, New Brunswick, Halifax, Nova Scotia. ports that would’ve been stopped at would be removed: Newport, Rhode Island and Bar Harbor, Maine. The piers would have to be extended  in all the places  including bermuda to accommodate remember like back in 2009  when caribbean ports had to do the same.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:21 PM, Yorkvillain said:

I agree with you that an Oasis class ship will not be coming to Cape Liberty any time soon if ever. They could fit under the Verrazano IF they lowered the funnels. They are not going to do that every week. No shot. 

I was just referring to the terminal itself. It could definitely handle an Oasis class ship even at max capacity. 

That’s exactly why they would build a whole new port outside the city in Perth Amboy or Stamford.

1 hour ago, piescruises said:

The city of stamford would act like citavecchia in rome  for the oasis class if it royal caribbean wanted to bring her to the new york market both having extensive rail and both be where cruise ships access port cities away from the away from the major city. The investment in port would be be probably less than the cost of the ship.if royal caribbean bases her out of there for 20 years definely break even. the intineraries would include the follow ports with extended in (canada and new england): New London, Connecticut, Boston, Masssacheutts, Portland, Maine, Saint John, New Brunswick, Halifax, Nova Scotia. ports that would’ve been stopped at would be removed: Newport, Rhode Island and Bar Harbor, Maine. The piers would have to be extended  in all the places  including bermuda to accommodate remember like back in 2009  when caribbean ports had to do the same.

Extending the piers is the least of their worries if they wanted to try your plan.  Oasis has a 30 ft draft.  Lets just start there.

I think $1 billion dollars might cover the  depthing of the harbor  and since the ship is so large I think they would break even. They could also use the extra depth for ferry service.

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Extending the piers is the least of their worries if they wanted to try your plan.  Oasis has a 30 ft draft.  Lets just start there.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, piescruises said:

I think $1 billion dollars might cover the  depthing of the harbor  and since the ship is so large I think they would break even. They could also use the extra depth for ferry service.

If they force a stop in new london I think the state would be onboard. harbors have been deepened before though the scale of this would be staggering. That’s a lot of money harbor deepening for a lot of tourist revune plus taxes collected for using the port. This only safe way I could see an oasis class ship coming in to New York. with other plans requiring the ship to lower the smoke stacks to bayonne and let’s say fails once what’s gonna happen there gonna have to move the ship where? the smoke stacks being retracted were built as a ONE time use, not a weekly use so who knows if it’s even safe for regular operation of the ship.

You are all forgetting one thing.  Oasis was not meant to cruise for extended periods of time in cold weather.  The reason Oasis class works with 6500 passengers is all the outdoor space, take that away during the cold weather and you’re going to be like sardines in a tin.

No way they are investing money to bring her to NY for a short summer season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You are all forgetting one thing.  Oasis was not meant to cruise for extended periods of time in cold weather.  The reason Oasis class works with 6500 passengers is all the outdoor space, take that away during the cold weather and you’re going to be like sardines in a tin.

This would be seasonal like adventure was seasonally in New York. You could probably keep her into fall but definetly not winter. Largest CSA  with largest ship is very likely to work economically. This is if Royal Caribbean wanted to bring oasis class to New York. If they don’t this ain’t gonna happen

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

By the way not every ship in alaska has an indoor pool. the ruby princess which I went on (not an alaska) doesn’t have an indoor pool, which the star I did go on did and I enjoyed it in the cold weather. Princess deeemed it not a necessity.

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

By the way not every ship in alaska has an indoor pool. the ruby princess which I went on (not an alaska) doesn’t have an indoor pool, which the star I did go on did and I enjoyed it in the cold weather. Princess deeemed it not a necessity.

6 minutes ago, piescruises said:

Indoor space, not indoor pools.  Boardwalk and Central Park are not made for cold weather ports.  The Aquatheater is not going to be a great venue to have in a cold weather port.  Anthem has the Seaplex which is completely enclosed.  It was built with a colder climate in mind.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Indoor space, not indoor pools.  Boardwalk and Central Park are not made for cold weather ports.  The Aquatheater is not going to be a great venue to have in a cold weather port.  Anthem has the Seaplex which is completely enclosed.  It was built with a colder climate in mind.

But it does have entertainment place and dazzles.

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

But it does have entertainment place and dazzles.