Exchanging Money in Multiple Cuban Ports

DiamondDiva

On 12/17/2018 at 6:08 AM, Phxazzcruisers said:

there is absolutely no problem changing US$100.00.  In fact, that is really what they prefer.  Again however, they MUST be clean crisp bills, no writing or any marks on them

Thank you for this information.  We leave next month for our cruise on the Journey and will also need to exchange money for a private excursion.  I can get brand new bills at my bank right now and didn't know which was the best denomination to have.  So you do recommend $100 bills to exchange?  Was afraid that would be too large and they wouldn't want them.  Usually take a mix of bills but this would be easier.  I will get $100's and $50's then per your recommendation.

Susan

34 minutes ago, Hulagirl said:

Thank you for this information.  We leave next month for our cruise on the Journey and will also need to exchange money for a private excursion.  I can get brand new bills at my bank right now and didn't know which was the best denomination to have.  So you do recommend $100 bills to exchange?  Was afraid that would be too large and they wouldn't want them.  Usually take a mix of bills but this would be easier.  I will get $100's and $50's then per your recommendation.

Susan

Get Euros from home as a better rate in Cuba.$$ give the worse rate. Also use smaller bills as a little goes a long way. Only good rum to take home costs.

34 minutes ago, Hulagirl said:

Susan

1 hour ago, Hulagirl said:

Susan

They are more than happy with clean crisp US$100.00 or 50.00 or 20.00 bills.  We did not think we would find anything to buy, but actually found a lot to buy, from cigars, to beautiful wooden crafts, to t-shirts, etc.  We also ate out and had great Cuban food and listened to great music and bought their CD's,.  Being from Seattle, if you can get a good rate for CAD you will get a better exchange rate for CAD than USD.  For USD they immediately take an additional 10% commission.  Enjoy

Thank you for the reply's.  Would have to talk to the bank about Canadian currency, but I'm sure we would still have to pay the exchange rate and really not get a better rate.  But will definitely find out.  Euros would cost to buy from the bank and not a great rate right now.  Better than in the past though. 

Presuming we exchange US funds at least we know that $100 bills are accepted.  That was my biggest concern was the size of bills and what they would take or want.

Sounds like there are things to buy.  The wooden crafts caught my eye with what you wrote.  Appreciate that information.

Looking forward to the cruise.  We lost one day in Havana and will be going to  Key West.  Was disappointed in this, but at least we kept the rest of the cruise days in Cuba. 

Thank you!!!

Susan

On 1/18/2019 at 3:46 PM, manc said:

Most people talk about changing Euros or dollars. Is sterling acceptable???

Yes, you can change sterling - I checked the UKGov travel site for Cuba and it says so. It does say Scottish & Irish notes are NOT acceptable https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cuba/money

52 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, you can change sterling - I checked the UKGov travel site for Cuba and it says so. It does say Scottish & Irish notes are NOT acceptable https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cuba/money

But has anyone done so at the cruise terminal exchange booths?  

6 hours ago, uktog said:

But has anyone done so at the cruise terminal exchange booths?  

If the change bureaux are CADECA bureaux then I think you will be OK. Just found a Travelex website that says you can change pounds at CADECA bureaux.  https://www.travelex.co.uk/travelex-hub/travel-guides/cuba

I know that Thomson/Marella has cruises to Cuba, so their guests will probably have sterling too.

4 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

If the change bureaux are CADECA bureaux then I think you will be OK. Just found a Travelex website that says you can change pounds at CADECA bureaux.  https://www.travelex.co.uk/travelex-hub/travel-guides/cuba

I know that Thomson/Marella has cruises to Cuba, so their guests will probably have sterling too.

Thanks. In Cuba I understand there can be a difference between advertising and reality. Don’t doubt what websites say but want to hear actual experiences from cruisers - that’s where cruise Critic beats google hands down 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

If no-one can answer from experience, maybe you can come back and tell us after your cruise.

Cruise is a long way off (if at all still planning) so hopefully others can help as it is an important consideration in all our research.

Docked in Havana this morning and exchanged British Sterling for Cuban currency, no problem. Was off , through customs and brought the currency in less than 10 minutes. Now if only the weather could have co operated as well!!

1 minute ago, combine said:

Docked in Havana this morning and exchanged British Sterling for Cuban currency, no problem. Was off , through customs and brought the currency in less than 10 minutes. Now if only the weather could have co operated as well!!

Thank you so much for the update that is really helpful

Sorry to hear the weather is not behaving, I hope it does - and remember it has to be warmer than back home 🙂

5 hours ago, manc said:

Thank you for the helpful information.

We have friends on your cruise so sorry you aren't having good weather.

We sail on 25 March

Hey us Brits always have an umbrella and waterproofs dont we?!