Disembark Quickly

7 hours ago, RCThanksgiving2018 said:

We want to disembark the ship as quickly as we can (Port of Miami).  I know we need to take our luggage off ourselves.  What are the steps in the process and about how long does it take for an Oasis size ship?

Thank you

You get in the self-assist line with all your bags, and walk off the ship when directed.  You will get a letter in your stateroom with details.   If you are first in the self-assist line, you can be off the ship 5 minutes after they are cleared for disembarkation.

Like stated above if you want to get off early go down and get on line early.  When the Oasis first set sail we would go down around 6:15 or so and just walk right off.

Seems like those days are over.  I guess more and more folks use self assist.  Last couple of time on board the line to do self assist went out onto the deck at around 6:30.

Assuming everything goes well.  Weather, mechanical issues, medical emergencies...all can affect arrival times. 

We were once sitting in the entrance to the dining room on a cot, waiting for our early number to be called as we put our bags out the night before.  A horribly long line of self disembark passengers were snaked all around the centrum and down the hallways.  They had just started to disembark when the whole process came to a halt for medical emergency.  They have to stop the process when an ambulance is on the pier.  Those people waited another 45 minutes without the line moving, all of them having to stand next to their bags. They had already been standing there for over half an hour.  No one wanted to get out of line and no where to sit except the floor.  

Wow...could we hear the complaining going on!  That convinced me self disembark is not for me.   Works for some...but not for me.  

Funny thing is everyone wants to be the very first to board the ship, but then most want to get off the ship as soon as possible.  Strange.  

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Assuming everything goes well.  Weather, mechanical issues, medical emergencies...all can affect arrival times. 

We were once sitting in the entrance to the dining room on a cot, waiting for our early number to be called as we put our bags out the night before.  A horribly long line of self disembark passengers were snaked all around the centrum and down the hallways.  They had just started to disembark when the whole process came to a halt for medical emergency.  They have to stop the process when an ambulance is on the pier.  Those people waited another 45 minutes without the line moving, all of them having to stand next to their bags. They had already been standing there for over half an hour.  No one wanted to get out of line and no where to sit except the floor.  

Wow...could we hear the complaining going on!  That convinced me self disembark is not for me.   Works for some...but not for me.  

Funny thing is everyone wants to be the very first to board the ship, but then most want to get off the ship as soon as possible.  Strange.  

Actually it makes perfect sense to me, or at least to cruisers that have jobs and aren’t retired as we have flights to catch and got to get back to work to make more money for more cruises 🙂

i am am the complete opposite. I just cannot do the regular disembark since you’ve got to do all of that waiting to get your luggage when it comes down. Not for us, we are all  about doing it ourselves and getting it done faster unless there are circumstances such as those your listed above that might impede this but the majority of the time, unless you have priority disembarking, skiing it yourself is always so much faster. 

Either way you shouldn’t have an issue with your flight at noon I wouldn’t think but it’s been a couple years since I cruised so who knows. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, RCThanksgiving2018 said:

I could be overthinking this, but with a new ship (Symphony) and terminal I wanted to leave time for some chaos.  

I 100% am with you on that. I am always over planning things and arriving early and making sure I have plenty of time for everything. I will be doing the same thing probably when I do Symphony next year. 🙂 

30 minutes ago, sh2738 said:

Actually it makes perfect sense to me, or at least to cruisers that have jobs and aren’t retired as we have flights to catch and got to get back to work to make more money for more cruises 🙂

i am am the complete opposite. I just cannot do the regular disembark since you’ve got to do all of that waiting to get your luggage when it comes down. Not for us, we are all  about doing it ourselves and getting it done faster unless there are circumstances such as those your listed above that might impede this but the majority of the time, unless you have priority disembarking, skiing it yourself is always so much faster. 

Either way you shouldn’t have an issue with your flight at noon I wouldn’t think but it’s been a couple years since I cruised so who knows. Thanks. 

That's why I mentioned it was not for me...but works for others.  Choice is a good thing.  I cruised many times before I retired, and was always careful to not book an early flight.  A few hours later can make all the difference in the world.  Again...choice.  And there is a reason the airlines discount those early flights.  

In addition to getting in line quite early, my advice is to pack light. Having one wheeled carry-on and a backpack allows you to move faster and politely walk around those struggling with multiple bags.  Have your identification and flight documents in an easily - accessible place if you encounter delays to or at the airport and have to hurry.

We are light packers who have had very little trouble getting off the ship early to catch a flight or to drive home.

For us, vacation is over when the ship arrives the last morning so we don't linger. We are eager to get home and back to our comfy bed, larger bathrooms and my husband's excellent cooking.

Edited by Bookish Angel

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

You don't need to worry about rushing off for a noon flight. You don't even need to do self assist.

Agreed except it is Thanksgiving weekend and the airport might be a zoo. Getting off the ship by 7:30 should be good enough.