Bliss: Folding Plastic Chairs

need2cruisesoon

The atrium i can understand to add extra seating when they have the events going on. They did this on my Escape cruise in May.In the future ship builds, they should really do something with hosting the events in the atrium either improve to the design to hold better seating or move the events to a different venue

The chairs at the buffet look out of place and strange. hopefully they replace it regular chairs soon

• Like 1

Like shof515, I saw this in the atrium on the Escape in October. I thought it was good they added temporary extra seating for events that would usually be standing room only. Though I do agree that the atrium is just a terrible venue in the first place. However, definitely did NOT see anything like that in the garden cafe. That is truly bizarre. I wonder what happened to the normal chairs.

We watched a couch being taken from the Haven restaurant, we were told the couches needed to be reupholstered weekly!!! Not sure if it's bad fabric choice or messy passengers - but that is probably why chairs are missing in the Garden Cafe, the regular ones are being repaired.

Maybe some have been moved to the Observation lounge

56 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Are those chairs rated to 250 lbs. max since, IMHO, a 300 lbs. capacity rating or limit would probably provide a safer margin ... keeping little fingers away from the hinged metal pieces, a challenge. 

You’re being to nice, after just leaving the Bliss this morning and spending 2 weeks onboard i’d Say closer to 350-375 lb capacity.

• Haha 1

4992 passengers on the ship.

The Main auditorium (used to be the theater) holds less than 900 paying guests.

Four premium shows for approx. 3,600 Pax means over 1k folks will not see

the "Big" show. Really? Nice. Freestyle or cheapystyle...Getting bigger does not

assume anything is better. Standing in line is for New York, not Jimmy Buffet

• folks who just want to unwind. It's always 5 o'clock on the ship. 😎🕔:classic_cool::classic_unsure:

1 hour ago, eddeb said:

4992 passengers on the ship. The Main auditorium (used to be the theater) holds less than 900 paying guests. Four premium shows for approx. 3,600 Pax means over 1k folks will not see the "Big" show. Really? Nice. Freestyle or cheapystyle...Getting bigger does not assume anything is better. Standing in line is for New York, not Jimmy Buffet

• folks who just want to unwind. It's always 5 o'clock on the ship. 😎🕔:classic_cool::classic_unsure:

yeah,,,, numbers-wise on the mega-ships that is true. But I have never seen the theater more than 3/4 full for most shows (and we have done 15 NCL mega-ship cruises including the Bliss). Many people aren't interested in the big shows. For shows that we like, we'll just walk in and see it multiple times on a cruise, no problem, lots of open seats.This is really not different that small ships which do early/late shows each night,,, there would numerically not be enough seats if every one showed up. 

And I know that you are trying to make a point, but with a guest capacity of 4002, there will never be a time that the ship is carrying the maximum of 4992 (which is every 3rd and 4th bunk being filled + every suite being filled to max capacity,,,, limited by lifeboat capacity).

Edited by BirdTravels

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

yeah,,,, numbers-wise on the mega-ships that is true. But I have never seen the theater more than 3/4 full for most shows (and we have done 15 NCL mega-ship cruises including the Bliss). Many people aren't interested in the big shows. For shows that we like, we'll just walk in and see it multiple times on a cruise, no problem, lots of open seats.

And I know that you are trying to make a point, but with a guest capacity of 4002, there will never be a time that the ship is carrying the maximum of 4992 (which is every 3rd and 4th bunk being filled + every suite being filled to max capacity,,,, limited by lifeboat capacity).

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

yeah,,,, numbers-wise on the mega-ships that is true. But I have never seen the theater more than 3/4 full for most shows (and we have done 15 NCL mega-ship cruises including the Bliss). Many people aren't interested in the big shows. For shows that we like, we'll just walk in and see it multiple times on a cruise, no problem, lots of open seats.

Birdtravels we love your posts.

I an not sure but have read on cc that they are averaging 45 to 47 hundred per

cruise. with 3 and 4th free I think that would be about right. Will check with NCL

tomorrow to research a little more.  The environmental permit allows for 4992  passengers and 1800 crew to pump treated sewage in Alaskan waters.

Safe journeys. Take care. :classic_cool:

Edited by eddeb
more content

Actually, we saw those folding chairs on the Escape earlier this month ... deployed in the atrium lobby for various live events/presentations/shows for extra seating capacity ... and, I thought, that's kind of odd & could be a safety/egress issue in the "highly" unlikely event of an emergency, folks could get tripped over.  Don't recall seeing them inside the buffet; or, on the Breakaway on our last sailing.  If the maritime authorities are fine with it, then it is what it is.  

On a somewhat encouraging note, I researched about the weight capacity limit of these folding metal chairs, they are apparently rated to 350 - 380 lbs, some at 400 lbs, sturdier ones have extra rating to 450 lbs per.  Many others were still standing for events like Halloween or Deal, No Deal, etc. 

On 11/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, mking8288 said:

Actually, we saw those folding chairs on the Escape earlier this month ... deployed in the atrium lobby for various live events/presentations/shows for extra seating capacity ... and, I thought, that's kind of odd & could be a safety/egress issue in the "highly" unlikely event of an emergency, folks could get tripped over.  Don't recall seeing them inside the buffet; or, on the Breakaway on our last sailing.  If the maritime authorities are fine with it, then it is what it is.  

On a somewhat encouraging note, I researched about the weight capacity limit of these folding metal chairs, they are apparently rated to 350 - 380 lbs, some at 400 lbs, sturdier ones have extra rating to 450 lbs per.  Many others were still standing for events like Halloween or Deal, No Deal, etc. 

I was on the Guy Harvey Cruise.  I understand why more "folding chairs" would be set up in the Atrium for his Presentation(s) to accommodate all, but yes, a nuisance/people tripping over each other/etc.  Fortunately no emergency evac had to be executed and all was good.   🙂

Still curious why Bliss had them in a dining venue...

Is there anyone who can confirm/deny folding chairs still exist on Bliss/dining venue?

Thanks! 🙂

I'm currently on the Bliss. So far I have only seen the folding plastic chairs at the very back end of Garden Cafe and sometimes when there is a large crowd in the Atrium. I do see a lot of new non folding black chair in the Garden Cafe. I guess they are replacing the folders

25 minutes ago, cdave said:

I'm currently on the Bliss. So far I have only seen the folding plastic chairs at the very back end of Garden Cafe and sometimes when there is a large crowd in the Atrium. I do see a lot of new non folding black chair in the Garden Cafe. I guess they are replacing the folders

The Pics I posted of the chairs in the Garden Cafe are all the way forward above the observation lounge. look there.