Convince me to stay on the ship - Eastern Caribbean

WorkerBee74

We've got a 7 day Eastern Carribean coming up in early May on the Breeze out of Port Canaveral.

Our ports are as follows:

• Amber Cove
  • St Thomas
  • San Juan
  • Grand Turk

This is our second cruise, we've done the Carnival excursion thing with 'open bar beach break', mini-speedboats and a sail boat trip etc in Mexico at all of our ports, but this time we're going to take it easy and do our own thing and not do any Carnival excursions.  Planning to do our own walk around San Juan, our own taxi to Governor's Beach in Grand Turk, and a local sightseeing excursion in St Thomas.

Amber Cove, however, we are considering just staying on the ship (we MIGHT go over to the pool area on shore in the afternoon as I've heard this is a good plan too as you miss the crowds rushing to get off ship - we're in port from 9am-4pm).

I'm always reluctant to stay on the ship as I like to visit ports, but is there much we'd miss by skipping Amber Cove?   And what is the day like when you stay on ship?  We are also getting the Cheers package so to us paying to drink on a beach when we've already paid to drink on the ship kind of doesn't make sense anymore.  What are the food offerings like / are things open, is it totally dead etc?  We are staying in a Cloud 9 Balcony room too... so I'm feeling like extra time on board is going to be relaxing.

Would you stay on ship?  Or different still, would you go onshore at Amber Cove and stay on ship on another port on this itinerary?

Edited by WorkerBee74

2 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

We've got a 7 day Eastern Carribean coming up in early May on the Breeze out of Port Canaveral.

Our ports are as follows:

• Amber Cove
  • St Thomas
  • San Juan
  • Grand Turk

This is our second cruise, we've done the Carnival excursion thing with 'open bar beach break', mini-speedboats and a sail boat trip etc in Mexico at all of our ports, but this time we're going to take it easy and do our own thing and not do any Carnival excursions.  Planning to do our own walk around San Juan, our own taxi to Governor's Beach in Grand Turk, and a local sightseeing excursion in St Thomas.

Amber Cove, however, we are considering just staying on the ship (we MIGHT go over to the pool area on shore in the afternoon as I've heard this is a good plan too as you miss the crowds rushing to get off ship - we're in port from 9am-4pm).

I'm always reluctant to stay on the ship as I like to visit ports, but is there much we'd miss by skipping Amber Cove?   And what is the day like when you stay on ship?  We are also getting the Cheers package so to us paying to drink on a beach when we've already paid to drink on the ship kind of doesn't make sense anymore.  What are the food offerings like / are things open, is it totally dead etc?  We are staying in a Cloud 9 Balcony room too... so I'm feeling like extra time on board is going to be relaxing.

Would you stay on ship?  Or different still, would you go onshore at Amber Cove and stay on ship on another port on this itinerary?

Hi there,  well staying on the boat is quieter. 1 out of 4 probably will stay with you.  I have been to Amber Cove and i think i would also stay on the boat. Its all pretty and safe but mostly some shopping and the waterpark.  It is relaxing and you can do what you do to relax. My wife will sit and read, on lido  as for me i would go grab a coffee from the coffee bar.  Around noon they will start drifting back to the boat to eat.I find it more relaxing than a sea day.  Hot tubs are pretty much empty as is the pools on board.   If i did go ashore i would wait till after lunch, but i doubt i would.  And then there is that desert bar lol.  I dont know, for me, it is like sitting on the front porch watching the world spin around. Nothing i got to do,  no one i got to worry about, just be happy.  

• Like 2

Personally, I would not stay on the ship unless your ideal vacation can be achieved by staying on the boat or you have explored a port thoroughly. Especially on one where there is no shortage of sea days where you will already be spending plenty of time there.

If lines are a big concern, I'd stay away from getting on/off at peak times. Otherwise, at least visit the port for a little. Ports add a great variety to the vacation/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

San Juan is easy.  Get off the ship and take the free trolley up to Fort El Morro.  I think it's a $5 to get in.  It.s park of the National Park Service.  Very impressive.

DSC02198.JPG

Free Trolley?  where do you grab it at?   It would make great shopping coming back down that hill to the ship.  

St. Thomas take a cab to Red Hook and catch the ferry to St. Johns

San Juan great shopping and restaurants in the city but we had the best time taking the ferry ($1.50) over to the Bacardi Factory 

Amber Cove we grabbed a cab and had them take us around the city and lunch on the ocean

Grand Turk rented a golf cart and went all over the island on our own 

• Like 2

Go to Trolley stop #1.  From the ship, cross the street and go to your left.  It should be the first street on your right.  The trolley sign is posted on a sign in front of a Cambio & Cheques store.  The sign below shows #2 but just to get an idea of what kind of sing to look for.  The second pic is of the trolley.  Have fun!

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Go to Trolley stop #1.  From the ship, cross the street and go to your left.  It should be the first street on your right.  The trolley sign is posted on a sign in front of a Cambio & Cheques store.  The sign below shows #2 but just to get an idea of what kind of sing to look for.  The second pic is of the trolley.  Have fun!

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

fantastic,  I got a journey going there next june.  The wife will be pleased.

The trolley will stop at the end of the road that leads up to the Fort.  Stay on the trolley.  It will take you all the way up to the entrance.

• Thanks 1

oh in St Thomas if anyone is interested there is a tavern within a couple blocks by Cohens discount mall and i think it is called the shipwreck.  They have burgers there like you got before fast food. They set it in front of you and the first thing  you say is I cant eat all that.  

You are right.  If you remain in the port area in Amber Cove there is not much to do other than swim in a pool.

I recommend you look OUTSIDE of the cruise port area.  There is a National Park called Damajaua Falls.  You climb and jump into the water.  You need a helmet and all.  It is one of the most awesome cruise excursions I have ever done.  You need to be fit and adventurous.

Your cruise ship likely offers this as an excursion.  I suggest you look to an outside tour company.  They take fewer people and start higher up the falls for jumping.  That is where the higher jumps are.

I used Amber Cove Adventures.  Check out some of the videos on youtube. 

Also, just look at the video on their home page. 

https://www.ambercoveadventures.com/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

San Juan is easy.  Get off the ship and take the free trolley up to Fort El Morro.  I think it's a $5 to get in.  It.s park of the National Park Service.  Very impressive.

DSC02198.JPG

That $5 gets you in both forts and the walk between is beautiful.  

10 hours ago, Melissalcsw said:

We are taking an excursion into the Puerto Plata. The pool area held no interest for me.

We wanted to see and learn something about the area.

I am super excited for this port.

We walked out to the taxi stand and asked for an English speaking driver, they all do not, and he gave us a great tour of Puerto Plata, $50 for the day for both of us. He took us to a cigar factory, rum distillery, and a lunch stop. He drove us the poor and the rich neighborhoods, we had a great day.

Other than diving, we don't care for Grand Turk. The dive (private excursion)  is awesome on a beautiful wall. We left at 8 and were back aboard by noon. Staying on the ship is awesome. Serenity is empty, did the slides 8 times, no line, relaxing lunch and just chillin. 

Lived on and off in St.Thomas for years, so we see friends or go to Coki Beach, coolest beach on the island.

Again, been to San Juan so many times, El Yunque is a must and you do not need a excursion. Actually we never book Carnival excursions. You can rent a car for around $50, it's an easy drive.

I go to the pool/swim up bar area at Amber cove.. LOVE it.. Lots of fun.. going there again in February... I would suggest getting a carriage horse ride in San Juan.. It's relatively inexpensive and the drivers do a great tour around the entire city.. 

Thanks all for the great discussion, you've given me some good ideas!

@coldweather that waterfall excursion looks amazing, but I have a bum knee (broke my kneecap a few years ago and have a metal implant in it and it's never been the same).  

@Anyislandwilldo - we were just planning to walk around San Juan, but knowing that there's a free trolley now makes that even better, thanks so much!

I think we are just going to wing it that day, will see what the weather's like too.  If we go into the port at AC at all, we'll go later on after the initial rush but I think that's probably still the best port to do a 'part day' and not the majority of the stop.  Might take advantage of some 'port day' spa deals too... maybe a nice massage will be in order....

• Like 1

We are going on that same itinerary in Jan. and are also considering staying on the ship for a port or two. Here's the thing though...we have been on several cruises. We have been to all of these ports at least once, St Thomas half a dozen times, SJ, three times.

This early in your cruising experience, I have a hard time advising you to stay on the ship. We are doing a quick local island tour on Grand Turk because we've never left the beach area there ad then going back on the ship. Maybe something short in one of the ports and then play it by ear? 

• Like 1