Connecting cabins? Noisy??

caddykid12

We've had a room that connected to the next room once.  I will not do it again.  From what I'd read here and other places I thought the odds that it would be a problem were fairly low.  I was wrong.  The neighbors weren't even particularly loud but we could hear everything they said.  I assume that they could hear us although I really tried to speak in hushed tones for the whole cruise.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar position as caddykid.  I have wanted a 6J for a long time, and there is only one on the Freedom that is designated for two people.  It connects to a four person cabin.

I am prepared for the two of us to be as considerate we can, and hope for the best from our neighbors.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, caddykid12 said:

Booked the 14 day Panama canal

Traveled CCL many times 

Wanted a certain room but its a connecting cabin.

Since doors are thinner than walls. Is noise a concern?

Has anyone had issues?

I have read that others have asked their cabin steward to put pillows in the space between the connecting doors to act as sound insulation. Apparently that works. If you have an issue with noise (or loud conversations) from the connecting cabin, ask your cabin steward if he / she could put pillows between the doors. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

I have read that others have asked their cabin steward to put pillows in the space between the connecting doors to act as sound insulation. Apparently that works. If you have an issue with noise (or loud conversations) from the connecting cabin, ask your cabin steward if he / she could put pillows between the doors. 

What a great idea.  Thank you!

41 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Are there two doors?  I thought I'd read that there was just one that would lock from either/both sides.

I can't believe that with space being at such a premium there would be much of a space between doors even if there were two.

We put a towel on the bottom of the door in the gap with the floor and that did not really help at all.

Edited by sft429

7 minutes ago, sft429 said:

Are there two doors?  I thought I'd read that there was just one that would lock from either/both sides.

I can't believe that with space being at such a premium there would be much of a space between doors even if there were two.

We put a towel on the bottom of the door in the gap with the floor and that did not really help at all.

there are two doors.  and the space between the two doors is very minimal to say the least.   I can not see how a pillow will fit and what that could do with the noise.    If not sailing with the connecting neighbor-- i say to avoid at all costs 

17 minutes ago, sft429 said:

I just watched a randomly-selected video on YouTube where someone did a video review of their connecting cabins on Carnival Miracle.  Despite the videographer's best attempts at jerky movements and rapid spins to the left and right to conceal any useful detail, I did spot that there was only one door, that opened into one of the rooms - the adjoining room didn't even have room for another door to open up, as far as I could tell - it would have hit the desk extension on the left and the right side would be interfered with by a wall bump out.

However, the next video from a different Carnival ship (Breeze) showed two doors.

Maybe that's why people's experiences seem so varied?  The implementation is different based on the ship?

:shrug:

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
add details of second video, mention ship names

I won't take a connecting room in a hotel and I certainly wouldn't on a cruise ship.  Having hopes your neighbors are considerate usually doesn't work out too well...how many people have to contend with balcony door slammers?  Sorry...there are just too many clueless people out there.  I do like the idea of putting something between the two doors...pillows, blankets, a spare comforter, etc.

We had a connecting room once because there were no others available. I hated it. I have no idea the age of our neighbors, but the TV was hanging right beside the connecting door and we heard it all the time. I'm not one to have my TV running when I'm not watching it and I found it annoying . Never again. The only other time we had cabin noise issues was when there was a family with 2 kids ( I have no issue with kids, and have 8 myself). It appeared as though the parents left the 8-10yo in charge of the 2 year old every night and that 2yo was not happy.. all...night...long. That was an insane amount of noise right through the wall (not connecting). 

Edited by Athankfulheart
Accuracy

4 hours ago, sft429 said:

Yes, there are two doors, just like connecting hotel rooms. The space between isn't as much as you'd think. It's only about 3 or 4 inches.

2 hours ago, Athankfulheart said:

We had a connecting room once because there were no others available. I hated it. I have no idea the age of our neighbors, but the TV was hanging right beside the connecting door and we heard it all the time. I'm not one to have my TV running when I'm not watching it and I found it annoying . Never again. The only other time we had cabin noise issues was when there was a family with 2 kids ( I have no issue with kids, and have 8 myself). It appeared as though the parents left the 8-10yo in charge of the 2 year old every night and that 2yo was not happy.. all...night...long. That was an insane amount of noise right through the wall (not connecting). 

You can look at a ship's deck plan and try to choose a cabin that doesn't have anything noisy above you, like the galley, or anything noisy below you, like a lounge or disco. Unfortunately, there's no way to guarantee that you won't have noisy neighbors. If the noise level becomes too unbearable, go to Guest Services and ask that they please take care of it. There's an old familiar saying. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." I think some people incorrectly assume that there is sufficient sound-proofing between the cabins, and that their neighbors can't hear them.