Is it just me??? Jacuzzi’s on ships.......

Travelcat2

I am not a germophobe but there is something about soaking in warm/hot water that others have been into and out of all day that I find gross.   I think of people lying by the pool, perspiring and entering the jacuzzi without showering - with their “nether regions” soaking in the water....... Perhaps someone can explain why it is okay to go into a communal jacuzzi or help me understand.

I know that there are others that feel the way that we do but others sit in the jacuzzi’s - sipping drinks, etc. and apparently are not bothered at all.  So, are they sitting in a tub of germs or does the chlorine dissipate such things?

Germophobe lite fits me perfectly:classic_biggrin: Actually, we used to get sick on our November sailings either from flying or being on the ship.  Since we began wiping down our armrests and tray tables on the plane and handle, phones, remote controls on the ship, things have improved dramatically. 

There are people on the ship that are now coming down with colds. Obviously washing hands and using the sanitizers are important, but what about the germs in a hot tub? Think that I’ll do a bit of research and see I can learn anything.

Perhaps I should not have looked.  I Googled germs in hot tubs and was surprised (worse than I thought).  Here is one of many articles on the topic https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20180517/pools-hot-tubs-can-harbor-dangerous-germs#1

Still glad that I started this thread as this information may be useful for some cruisers.  

Edited by Travelcat2

I love my hot tubs, and don't want to think about the germs!  The one here at our condo in Florida gets a bit murky at times, but usually, as now, it's sparkling and clean--cleaned three times a week. 

It's just too lovely to forego!  That being said, we've been on Voyager when the hot tubs were hogged by groups of loud men, uh, let's say, well-endowed in the abdominal department, swilling multiple drinks and basically taking possession.  Not cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I love my hot tubs, and don't want to think about the germs!  The one here at our condo in Florida gets a bit murky at times, but usually, as now, it's sparkling and clean--cleaned three times a week. 

It's just too lovely to forego!  That being said, we've been on Voyager when the hot tubs were hogged by groups of loud men, uh, let's say, well-endowed in the abdominal department, swilling multiple drinks and basically taking possession.  Not cool.

Enjoyed your description of the groups of men in the hot tub.  I do enjoy hot tubs in general (when they are in our backyard or inside of our bathroom).  I would think that the water in the hot tubs should be cleaned three times a day rather than three times a week based on how many people soak in there.  I know that Regent keeps their ships as clean as possible but some passengers are not quite so clean.  

Oh, I'm sure on a Regent ship the spas are cleaned once a day, for sure, at least.  Ours here is much larger, and has far fewer people using it.  On a nice day in the 70's in winter, perhaps 20 or 30 total, and that would be a good day.  I have never been fortunate enough to own my own jacuzzi, and bathtubs don't count.

Just like public and private swimming pools throughout the civilized world, properly maintained hot tubs will have the prescribed amount of chlorine added to the water each day to keep the water crystal clear and to eliminate the possibility of any biological contamination in the water.

I wouldn't believe that the quality of ocean water at popular beaches around the world would be any cleaner, or even as clean, as properly maintained water in swimming pools and jacuzi's.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Just like public and private swimming pools throughout the civilized world, properly maintained hot tubs will have the prescribed amount of chlorine added to the water each day to keep the water crystal clear and to eliminate the possibility of any biological contamination in the water.

I wouldn't believe that the quality of ocean water at popular beaches around the world would be any cleaner, or even as clean, as properly maintained water in swimming pools and jacuzi's.

I would not normally disagree with your assessment but the websites that I brought up dispute the fact that chlorine will keep bacteria away!  The bacteria is stronger than chlorine.  I would discuss oceans but that is a different "animal" (salt water, etc.)

It seems that people would rather ignore the risks which is fine.  My concerns are my concerns and certainly are not the concerns of others.  

I have never been bothered by the idea of germs in hot tubs - or to tell the truth in other places either.  Since I grew up in Africa maybe this is just as well.  Everyone has some germs after all.  And often those exposed to new sorts of germs get sick.  Which I suppose is normal if unpleasant.  (In Africa when we went to the mountains we always got sick from the change of the water for example....  and boiling it didn't help)   And I don't quite "get" the difference of being in a hot tub versus being with others in a heated pool except that the germs are more diluted in the latter.

Anyway I am sure that Regent (and any other hot tub owner who lets anyone into the tub) knows all about what to do to keep the water as clean as possible.  Maybe you should ask the Pool deck manager, Jackie, what they do and let us know!!   (I know the tubs are drained at night...or at least I am under the impression they are!)

Gerry, a person that has bad hygiene and enters to Jacuzzi brings germs - even if the jacuzzi was just cleaned and filled.  Perhaps there is something in addition to chloriine (that, according to the article doesn’t kill important bacteria) that can be used.  It is just interesting to learn that most people are not concerned about this.  Guess I’m more of a germophobe than I thought:classic_wacko:

I acknowledge the concerns expressed re: hygiene - but - it is the irritating habit of people drinking in hot tubs and/or hogging them for 30 mins plus that annoys me. Some people treat shipboard facilities as tho' they are their own, private commodities. Selfish and thoughtless in my view. 

I still can't believe cruise lines allow folks to take drinks in a hot tub, the risks of spillage or breakage are high and I certainly don't want to share a tub with bits of plastic & somebody else's booze.

Having said all that, I recognise that the problems encountered are less common on Regent, where we have only seen a few people sitting for an hour or so and making the hot tub a "no go" area for others. It happened on Voyager in April a handful of tImes but is more frequently observed in hotel hot tubs in my experience.

The health risks associated with sitting in hot tubs for extended periods, let alone the germ factor, are also a concern.

2 hours ago, Pies4u said:

I acknowledge the concerns expressed re: hygiene - but - it is the irritating habit of people drinking in hot tubs and/or hogging them for 30 mins plus that annoys me. Some people treat shipboard facilities as tho' they are their own, private commodities. Selfish and thoughtless in my view. 

The health risks associated with sitting in hot tubs for extended periods, let alone the germ factor, are also a concern.

Hear hear, exactly my concerns.  I rarely stay in a hot tub more than 10 minutes, maybe 15.  Any more is not healthy for many people, and I have heart disease.

Notice to the Babyboomers in the House:

‘We were the ones who survived drinking out of garden hoses.  

‘We scraped our knees climbing trees and cut our hands climbing over fences.

Our antiseptic was spit, and our bandages were intermittent pressure until it stopped bleeding.

We were immunized by life itself.  Hardened by nature and blessed with fortified genes...

Now; who wants to go into the jacuzzi?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The thing is, when you get older your immune system does change.  When I was younger  of course we drank out of water hoses and swimming in public pools or hotel pools.  Yes and we fell and scraped ourselves but now healing takes much longer for most of us and infection is more likely and can spread to others who may have an open wound.

Having a pool and jacuzzi at home my spouse and myself are super clean maybe a bit OCD about it but we check the water before we go in and balance it when needed.  We will not go into a people’s soup on any cruise line. Chlorine does not kill all bacteria. Swimmers beware and jacuzzi people.

I certainly understand - and I’m approaching that time in my life where I need to support my immune system rather than rely on it.   I guess the old saying gets reversed:  “What doesn’t make you stronger, could kill you.”  Youth is certainly wasted on the young!

daetchief - love what you say about Baby Boomers.  I am not in the group myself (pre-dated your lot!) but I grew up drinking out of African streams and boreholes...probably with many more "microbes" in them than your garden hoses!   And yes, as one ages one is less resistant to just about everything (including, sadly, Martinis!)  Still I am not fussed about Jacuzzis.  Would really love to know though how often they are cleaned on a ship!

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 10:21 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Perhaps I should not have looked.  I Googled germs in hot tubs and was surprised (worse than I thought).  Here is one of many articles on the topic https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20180517/pools-hot-tubs-can-harbor-dangerous-germs#1

Well now, this is one item I've NEVER considered throwing into my carry on before leaving for a cruise. But maybe I should start. 😳

• Use test strips to check if the water's chlorine levels are proper.

Just get a stateroom that has its own jacuzzi like we did on our last cruise. It was cleaned on a daily basis by or cabin steward. It was absolutely wonderful.

8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

How on earth do you know what "proper" is...I would leave this maintenance to the deck crew who are experts!

This was just my feeble attempt at humor. The bullet point was excerpted from the linked article. 

Didn't mean to upset anyone.