Turn OFF Automatic Cloud Backup services onboard.

CruisingWalter

If you are planning to use a laptop, tablet or any other device with the Ship's internet package, and you use an automated Cloud backup service, turn that backup service OFF while sailing.  The ship's wifi is too slow to handle simultaneous uploads and downloads from your device and it will simply stall your internet.   

I'm 7 days into a 10 day cruise and have not been able to use my Microsoft Surface Pro on the ship's WiFi until today.   It would take about 5 minutes just to connect to WiFi and then over 10 minutes to load a single webpage.  Today I finally figured out to turn off the cloud backup service and now I'm able to use the laptop anywhere on the ship as expected.

A quick tip for those you preparing to sail, especially one of the ships that has not gotten upgraded internet service, like the Crown Princess that we are currently sailing.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, creativegenius said:

If you are planning to use a laptop, tablet or any other device with the Ship's internet package, and you use an automated Cloud backup service, turn that backup service OFF while sailing.  The ship's wifi is too slow to handle simultaneous uploads and downloads from your device and it will simply stall your internet.   

I'm 7 days into a 10 day cruise and have not been able to use my Microsoft Surface Pro on the ship's WiFi until today.   It would take about 5 minutes just to connect to WiFi and then over 10 minutes to load a single webpage.  Today I finally figured out to turn off the cloud backup service and now I'm able to use the laptop anywhere on the ship as expected.

A quick tip for those you preparing to sail, especially one of the ships that has not gotten upgraded internet service, like the Crown Princess that we are currently sailing.  

I have had no issues leaving it on on the CB and the Regal in the last few weeks.

So the new system seems to handle it fine.

FWIW....... I have never turned it off on any of my Princess cruises.

Still never had any issues.

5 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I have had no issues leaving it on on the CB and the Regal in the last few weeks.

whatya got some kinda super computer 

Learned this lesson the hard way. Basically left my iPad unusable because it couldn’t complete any of the app downloads. Finally found decent WiFi at one of the islands (followed the crew) and got everything sync’ed..... and promptly turned off all automatically downloads 🙂

-Andrew

On 11/24/2018 at 3:39 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

We were on the Crown Princess.  I actually helped a few other people onboard by recommending the same thing.  WiFi coverage on the ship was poor as well. 1-2 bars on most of the ship.  5 bars on deck 5 near the internet cafe.  

14 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

When Medallion Net is rolled out fleet wide there will be no further issues like these. 

Watch 4K UHD movies if you wish!!

This is in our cabin (WAY at the back of the boat) two days ago on the CB. 

6BC07DF2-5CA4-48F3-94E6-8F179BA8561D.png

Uhh...  Remember that's only south of about Seattle or Southampton and north of about the Falklands until

someone launches satellites with steerable-dish antennae into polar or geosynchronous orbit.

2 hours ago, Haboob said:

Uhh...  Remember that's only south of about Seattle or Southampton and north of about the Falklands until

someone launches satellites with steerable-dish antennae into polar or geosynchronous orbit.

Where do you think a Mediterranean cruise fits within the functioning geography?