RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

2 hours ago, Idareu1970 said:

Newbie question on RoyalUp, my wife is a first time cruiser and does suffer from seasickness, as a precaution we have booked a Level 2 Midship Oceanview room trying to minimise rocking etc. 

Would bidding on a RoyalUp upgrade be a worthwhile thing to do, or are we likely to end up in a location other than Midship?  Being Midship is making her feel more positive towards the cruise, rather than being worried about seasickness

RoyalUp is not a great program for people who really care about the location of their stateroom.  If your RoyalUp bid is accepted, a new cabin is assigned and you cannot reject it.  Nor can you just go back to your old cabin (a new person may now be assigned there…perhaps somebody who bid from an inside cabin).  As Biker mentioned, if another cabin in the exact same category is available that you prefer , they do allow swaps, but you should not count on that to solve your issue.  First, as many RoyalUp bids are accepted close to sailing date and sometimes in batches, you may find all the other cabins in your new category are assigned (perhaps to other RoyalUp bidders), so you cannot swap.  Secondly, even if others are available in your category, if your new cabin is not midship, those others might not be either.  Sometimes midship cabins are in a separate category from forward/aft cabins.  If your bride feels better about her first cruise because she picked a low, midship cabin, perhaps stay there this time.  If she feels well, perhaps spend time on high decks forward or aft, so she can experience the feel of the ship.  Depending on how it goes, she may be ready to try other cabins next time.  And have a wonderful trip.

Edit:  I should add though, if you study deck plans and find there are certain categories where every single cabin would be acceptable and the minimum bid is also acceptable, go ahead and bid.   As I do not know which ship nor which categories you have been offered, it is unfair of me to assume no category could suit you.  I have my doubts, but you could look…and you can come back to the boards to ask if you need help.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

Has anyone ever noticed that your entire sailing disappears from the search at any point?  My April 10 sailing is no longer listed when I search for cruises.  Is it because we are just about 30 days out now and they are dealing with any non payments and such?

Sailings not being listed can be caused by a variety of reasons, but most of the time it's just inventory management.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

RoyalUp is not a great program for people who really care about the location of their stateroom.  If your RoyalUp bid is accepted, a new cabin is assigned and you cannot reject it.  Nor can you just go back to your old cabin (a new person may now be assigned there…perhaps somebody who bid from an inside cabin).  As Biker mentioned, if another cabin in the exact same category is available that you prefer , they do allow swaps, but you should not count on that to solve your issue.  First, as many RoyalUp bids are accepted close to sailing date and sometimes in batches, you may find all the other cabins in your new category are assigned (perhaps to other RoyalUp bidders), so you cannot swap.  Secondly, even if others are available in your category, if your new cabin is not midship, those others might not be either.  Sometimes midship cabins are in a separate category from forward/aft cabins.  If your bride feels better about her first cruise because she picked a low, midship cabin, perhaps stay there this time.  If she feels well, perhaps spend time on high decks forward or aft, so she can experience the feel of the ship.  Depending on how it goes, she may be ready to try other cabins next time.  And have a wonderful trip.

Edit:  I should add though, if you study deck plans and find there are certain categories where every single cabin would be acceptable and the minimum bid is also acceptable, go ahead and bid.   As I do not know which ship nor which categories you have been offered, it is unfair of me to assume no category could suit you.  I have my doubts, but you could look…and you can come back to the boards to ask if you need help.

Thank you for this comprehensive and thought out response.  I’ve cruised many times and I love it, my wife on the other hand is convincing herself to embrace it in anticipation! Lol.

We did put a significant amount of consideration into the selection of our room so you are probably right, we should sit this one out.

Thank you for taking the time to respond 😊

We are floating on the Voyager of the Seas on May 1st from Copenhagen, when I looked at the RoyalUp option last night it said I wasn’t within 30 days so I couldn’t go any further, so thought I should ask through here 😊

• Like 1

Just got upgraded from inside to Oceanview Balcony with minimum bid on Harmony this Sunday.  DW on phone now - waiting, waiting, waiting for someone to answer - to change to an accessible HC that is available in same category.  Wish us luck - the cabin given has bed near door and will not accommodate her scooter.

On another cruise we were also offered Royal Suite for $12,000 pp min bid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lovelife said:

Take several cruises instead. 😄

Yeah that's a crazy minimum!  The minimum for Allure Royal Loft Suite on my April sailing is $2530 but we are currently in a CLS and I thought $2530 pp was too much!

Just upgraded from a central park balcony to a GS for $1020 pp (min bid was $920) on our Oasis April 17 cruise. The bid was accepted almost immediately and room assigned.  We really wanted this because we are traveling with another couple who are in a GS and wanted to dine together.  Total cost was still about $2000 less than our GS on the Allure in January.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bklun said:

Just upgraded from a central park balcony to a GS for $1020 pp (min bid was $920) on our Oasis April 17 cruise. The bid was accepted almost immediately and room assigned.  We really wanted this because we are traveling with another couple who are in a GS and wanted to dine together.  Total cost was still about $2000 less than our GS on the Allure in January.

Enjoy!  A good move.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:09 AM, mom2tcdx2 said:

I wonder if my sailing will see more suites open up as it gets closer?  Right now it is down to only 13 junior suites, 2 of the grand suite, Sky loft, grand loft both all gone.  We put a bid on the grand suite with the smaller balcony, but doubtful we would get anything from that with it showing just one left at this time.  

Its just interesting seeing many with such a large number of suites available.  Since we are just barely under 2 months, I wonder if they will see some people choosing to cancel before the final payment is due?  

Where do you find out how many of each category are left foryour sailing? I see alot of people doing this but don't know how to do it.  

On 3/8/2022 at 11:31 AM, Cruise a holic said:

The elevator goes directly to deck 17 which is the level for the CLS and suite lounge and restaurant.  The suite is larger then the owners suite.  The high ceilings and view to die for!  If you are unable to climb stairs not for you.  However, I believe one cls has a chair type elevator 

There is one accessible CLS, but it doesn't have a "chair" elevator -- it has an actual elevator that can fit a single wheelchair.  

6 hours ago, KB Cruisin said:

Where do you find out how many of each category are left foryour sailing? I see alot of people doing this but don't know how to do it.  

Just start booking the same sailing using Royal's site and click through the categories you are bidding on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KB Cruisin said:

You do the same thing you did to book - find your cruise on the Royal website and go through all of the categories and add up how many rooms are in left in each. People call it a 'mock booking.'

• Like 1

We are 3 days out from our sailing and all 6 of my bids are still pending. All of these cabin categories are sold out on the website though and most people in our FB sailing group have heard if they won their bids. I'm not sure why mine still show pending not expired but I assume I'm out of luck and didn't win any since these cabin categories no longer show availability?

5 minutes ago, royaltocruising said:

We are 3 days out from our sailing and all 6 of my bids are still pending. All of these cabin categories are sold out on the website though and most people in our FB sailing group have heard if they won their bids. I'm not sure why mine still show pending not expired but I assume I'm out of luck and didn't win any since these cabin categories no longer show availability?

In case anyone cancels or isn't allowed to board for whatever reason, I think they just keep them open so they can make some last minute $$. My last cruise ours were pending until after we boarded, so I think you're kind of just benchwarming in case one of their rostered players doesn't show up, if you will. Fingers crossed for ya! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, royaltocruising said:

I'm not sure why mine still show pending not expired but I assume I'm out of luck and didn't win any since these cabin categories no longer show availability?

The denial email should arrive the night before sailing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, royaltocruising said:

If you look at your bids, it says you can modify up until 3 hours before departure. The new process is notifying people after they set sail that bids were unsuccessful. This is to account for any last minute availability. No more going to Guest Services to try for an upgrade. They will instruct you to RoyalUp. 

but yes, I’d say, you likely aren’t getting an upgrade. I’m in the same boat for 3/20. Not expecting it to happen. 

• Thanks 1

Sailing on 3/20. For the past 2 days all my bids except 1 have said expired. With the one bid pending and unable to modify. I had read that this was a good sign. But it’s been like that for 2 days with no upgrade. I don’t like that they won’t let me cancel or change bids with 10 days to go. What if I want to just forget the whole thing and cancel all the bids. Booked in a grand suite and I put in minimum/low bids for most options. 

24 minutes ago, royaltocruising said:

Similar situation. I am 10 days out, and as of a few days ago there were still 20+ JS available and a handful of higher suites. Today pretty much everything is sold out. Only 1 JS and 1 GS left, yet all my bids still show as Pending, and all are still able to be modified.

Oh well....

Has anyone ever boarded a ship, and then gotten upgraded and moved after already boarding? just curious.

• Like 1