Nassau - Things to Do

12 minutes ago, Iowa_Vike said:

Heading to Nassau next week and going to John Watlings.   Anyone have any idea where someone might get a true Cuban Cigar? 

I don't know if they have Cuban, but there is a cigar factory not far from Watlings:

http://www.graycliff.com/graycliff-cigar-company/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

We were recently at Junkanoo Beach on a big family trip earlier this month. We chose it based on the perceived ease of being able to walk & the generally good reviews here & on Tripadvisor.  While I can see the appeal (very clear water, local feel, fun music and fun party vibe), we just did not have a great experience there & I’ve never been so happy to leave a beach after only 2 hours (and I love beaches)!

I love walking and I think if I were solo or just with my wife the walk would have been quite manageable, but with 4 eager kids and 6 adults in our group, I felt like we were playing a game of Frogger walking along and across the busy roads. Just not a pleasant or easy walk at all with a larger group and small kids. Perhaps we didn’t choose the easiest route...

Once we got to the beach, 2 chairs & umbrellas magically went from $25 when we were walking up to $38 when they charged us. The kids were happy to be finally getting settled on the beach and I didn’t have the energy to argue, so I just paid it.

I’m pretty certain the first Bottled beer I ordered had been opened and refilled and recapped with a different brand of draft beer. After one sip I took it back to the bar & made them open one in front of me which tasted “normal”. That was just weird. They were like $6 each. Not over the top but no bargain either. 

I picked up and threw away no fewer than 10 big pieces of glass (broken beer bottles) on my travels to & from our chairs. The same area my kids & nephews were running around barefoot. Great. That was the part I really didn’t like.

The sand was very rocky. Everybody around us was smoking. 

We took a van cab back & all 10 of us squeezed into one. It was actually pretty funny! $4 per person I guess isn’t bad but $40 for a mile seems excessive. I happily paid it though to get back to the ship quick!

I wanted to love the place. I really did. And I’m generally easy to please. I acknowledge part of what made it challenging was having a larger group & smaller kids so it wasn’t easy to just mobilize & walk another 50 yards to a spot that was more conducive to relaxing. I genuinely think (hope) if we had made it to the far end of the beach it could have been a better beach experience. But it just wasn’t for us and once was enough for me.

If you’re with a small group that’s easy to manage in a crowd and willing to keep walking to a better spot once you get to Junkanoo, I suspect you’ll have a better time than we did. If you can find another beach altogether without so much darn glass all over the place, you’ll probably have an ever better time!  

I hope you enjoy your time whatever you decide!

It's worth the ride to a better beach.  Love Beach is a great spot.  Also a day pass for Melia is pretty affordable.

14 hours ago, Iowa_Vike said:

Heading to Nassau next week and going to John Watlings.   Anyone have any idea where someone might get a true Cuban Cigar? 

Most any shop will have them.

For most brands, the ring states Habano on it.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:46 PM, Host Clarea said:

I was looking forward to booking this for our Christmas cruise but found out that we will be docking on Boxing day and they don't do tours during that time.

Does anyone know if most of the restaurants/stores will be closed for Boxing Day? I know it's a huge holiday there.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:54 PM, Chipmoose said:

We did Rainbow Reef snorkel excursion thru RCL and really enjoyed it. 

i'm looking at doing that with my parents when we go in may. how was it?  my mom freaked when we swam with the sting rays, are there many big fish or sting rays there when you where there?  how was getting on and off the boat and the part and the water (my mom has a hip/back injury that we are hoping is better by the time we cruise)? would you happen to have any pictures that you could post?

11 hours ago, SRF said:

Most any shop will have them.

For most brands, the ring states Habano on it.

I can get a cigar here in the states with a ring that says Habano but it's not a cuban cigar.  I've had many great smokes in Nassau but don't think they were a "true" cuban stogie.   I'll look around and maybe try some from Graycliff. 

4 minutes ago, Iowa_Vike said:

I can get a cigar here in the states with a ring that says Habano but it's not a cuban cigar.  I've had many great smokes in Nassau but don't think they were a "true" cuban stogie.   I'll look around and maybe try some from Graycliff. 

It's likely "Cuban seed"   The tobacco has Cuban roots but not a true Cohiba/

8 hours ago, hotsmiley said:

i'm looking at doing that with my parents when we go in may. how was it?  my mom freaked when we swam with the sting rays, are there many big fish or sting rays there when you where there?  how was getting on and off the boat and the part and the water (my mom has a hip/back injury that we are hoping is better by the time we cruise)? would you happen to have any pictures that you could post?

When we went it was fine, not rough at all.  I have read from others though that have said currents were a little rough when they went, so I would do a search for "Rainbow Reef Nassau" on the boards here.  I didn't see any sting rays, just colorful coral and fish, I didn't see any large fish just parrot fish, squirrel fish, etc., if I recall, just typical small to medium size reef fish.  Sorry I don't have any photos.

I entered by jumping off, but I think some folks were using ladder for entry. Ladder getting out wasn't difficult at all when I went, but if seas are rough, that always makes things tough. 

On 11/29/2018 at 9:09 PM, Iowa_Vike said:

No reason they would not be Cuban in Nassau.

You can get real Cubans in any country, except the US.  Unless you know the right person, then you can get them in the US. 🙂

But to be SURE, find a Casa del la Habanos store.  They are in many major cities, and they ONLY sell real Cuban cigars.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:43 PM, ryanbarckley said:

? I know the straw market, any other good shopping, site seeing or interesting places to visit?

Hi Ryan!  I find myself in the same spot! I had cruised to that port is a young girl, and it wasn’t terribly impressive in the early 70s and understand it’s less so now. But we just booked a Bermuda cruise on the Grandeur in May that will stop at Nassau. My early looks at options ended mostly with resort beaches (since for personal preference we avoid all captive animals and similar tours and there are many of those in the Bahamas) since I have already seen the historical aspects of Nassau. Thanks for asking this question, it was timely and I am headed back up the thread to read the suggestions 😀

Happy Sailing, 🧜🏼‍♀️

Lynn

update - Looking through these posts quickly I see there are some great suggestions. So I wanted to say thank you to all who responded to Ryan on this topic, it’s all really helpful 👍🏼😊🏝

Edited by 2Beeze

On 11/27/2018 at 3:45 PM, island lady said:

My favorite...and got that idea and recommendation from you a few years ago.  Loved it!  We had Captain Ron.  In fact we now enjoy going to lunch the last few times we were there at "Ms. Wallace's" place. Going again to see her next week.  Love her little place and the local Bahamian food she makes is fantastic!  

Well after recommendations from Bob @Host Clarea , Carol @Merion Mom, and you and then after reading the review  (with photos, I am now hungry) from @CruisinCrow , this foodie tour is starting to look like a far better option than the beach (we will be at one the day after anyway). Thanks everyone. 🏝🧜🏼‍♀️

Lynn

5 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

Well after recommendations from Bob @Host Clarea , Carol @Merion Mom, and you and then after reading the review  (with photos, I am now hungry) from @CruisinCrow , this foodie tour is starting to look like a far better option than the beach (we will be at one the day after anyway). Thanks everyone. 🏝🧜🏼‍♀️

Lynn

We really enjoyed it.  You learn a lot about Nassau and get lots of good authentic Bahamian food.  After the tour they even sent us recipes of some of the food we ate.  We've already made the mac and cheese and are going to attempt the chicken with peas and rice next.  They have a cocktail tour too, only on Sundays.  I want to try that on another trip.

• Like 1

Since we have not been to Nassau before could I ask following form anyone:

1.  Is is safe and easy walk to do independent walk tour of the distillery, cigar and chocolate tour stops

2.  Can you purchase and bring back to US any cigars without major ordeal with customs

1 minute ago, creel5857 said:

1.  Is is safe and easy walk to do independent walk tour of the distillery, cigar and chocolate tour stops

2.  Can you purchase and bring back to US any cigars without major ordeal with customs

We have not felt unsafe walking to the distillery and the cigar factory.

15 minutes ago, creel5857 said:

Keep your head straight and Nassau is safe. If you start feeling your surrounding are unsafe, nope the heck out of there...otherwise, you're unlikely to run in to any issues (just playing the odds game).

US Customs guidelines on cigars can be found at - https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/~/travelers-bringing-in-tobacco-products-(cigarettes%2C-cigars%2C-bidis)-into-the

20 minutes ago, creel5857 said:

Last March we felt safe on our walk to Fish Fry.  I did take some precautions...we left our electronics (iPhone, Apple Watch) on the ship and did not take our wallets.  The only thing we took on our walk were our sea/sail pass, state photo ID and about $20 in cash.

13 minutes ago, creel5857 said:

We've walked there several times and felt safe.  There are signs pointing the way to John Watling's Distillery.  Just be careful of traffic on the street where Graycliff is located - it's very narrow.  They are talking about turning it into a pedestrian-only street, which I think is a good idea. 

22 hours ago, creel5857 said:

We felt perfectly safe walking around. During the day.  Evening or night, probably not.

You can buy and bring back ANY cigars, including Cubans, for personal use.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:29 AM, 2Beeze said:

Thanks for asking this question, it was timely and I am headed back up the thread to read the suggestions 😀

Happy Sailing, 🧜🏼‍♀️

Lynn

update - Looking through these posts quickly I see there are some great suggestions. So I wanted to say thank you to all who responded to Ryan on this topic, it’s all really helpful 👍🏼😊🏝

I'm glad someone else found the info helpful! I too enjoyed it and thanks to everyone for the wealth of info!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ryanbarckley said:

I'm glad someone else found the info helpful! I too enjoyed it and thanks to everyone for the wealth of info!

I  may have to come take more notes on this thread!  I discovered last night that Caesar’s Players Club also provides a military (active/retiree) card. that, as with MGM, provides second tier benefits (no play required). As MGM partners with RCL, Caesar’s partners with NCL - but each year Caesar’s also give card holders 3 free days at Atlantis and 2 additional nights at a cut rate of about $70/night. If I can get past Nasau and Paradise Island being on the “don’t travel here” list the last time that I checked, that’s a huge hunk of vacation free! I’m creeping toward 60 and hopefully one decade ahead will be retirement, so “free”sounds extra fabulous! 🏝🧜🏼‍♀️

Lynn

On 11/28/2018 at 8:27 AM, SRF said:

In August we did our own tour.

We went to the Pirate museum.  Then walked up the hill to John Watlings distillery for the tour and for some sampling in the bar.

They across to the cigar place and the chocolate place.  Then back to the ship.  A nice afternoon.

Hi!  This is what we would like to do.  How far from the port is the Pirate Museum and distillery.  I am recovering from back surgery and can walk but not too many miles.

So, I have not really spent significant time in Nassau since 2012, when I spent almost two weeks there, with a few hundred customers and employees.  We ate at all the high end restaurants (stayed at Atlantis) played golf multiple days at the Ocean Club, and sampled all of the local spots. 

We were told that the fish Fry was the spot to go for food.  Meh... ok, we ate at several nice restaurants downtown and they were all nice, but the surprise and the only place I have tried to go back on a couple of cruises since was the Brussels Bistro.  We were directed here after hitting all the hot spots as a place to have some really good food, and unique to the area.  It is small, it is somewhere between a joint and an intimate spot.  We ate there the first night went back the next night.  Truly the only place I wanted to eat at again.  We tried to eat there on one of our Oasis sailings but they were closed the day we were in port.  

I don’t know if it is still open, but if it was I would definitely give it a shot.  

JC