Beach day - St Martin or Labadee

sarahsentry

Advice pls - we'd like to go to the beach and don't know which option to go with.

Never gotten off at labadee before and have done the full island tour in SM. this time around we only want to get off on one of these port days and wondering which has the best beach option.  Looking for relatively low cost, decent swimming, not too much walking to get there. 

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Labadee is Royal's free private beach. All of the beach chairs will be free for you to use, and there won't be lots of walking involved. I have heard, though, to go to the further beach for the better swimming. But, not having to pay for a taxi or beach chairs will allow you to maybe spend more money on a beachside activity or food, or not spend any money at all. I would say, if you're looking to keep costs low, do a beach day in Labadee.

But, don't not get off the ship in SXM! If the choice came down to staying onboard one day and getting off for a beach day another, I completely switch my answer. The food onboard will be the same as the food in Labadee, so if you're choosing a day to not get off the ship, you might as well make it your Labadee day. Enjoy your empty ship, the same exact sun, and the same exact food, just an elevator ride from your room rather than a 20 minute walk, and still pay $0. Then, splurge on an amazing day in SXM.

Hope I helped!

• Like 1

The beach at St. Maarten that you can see from the ship is about a 20-minute walk, or water taxi for about $7.  It's one of our favorite beaches; we like it much better than Labadee.  You can rent loungers, get food and drink, etc. there, or not.  It can be a totally free day if you wish.  Excursion not required.

The Port St. Maarten webcam is showing seven (!) ships in port today.  You can see the beach and the ships.  Beach looks crowded, or at least a lot of loungers and umbrellas have been set up.  No overcrowding in the water, though.  Beautiful.

• 1 month later...

I’d make a beach day for both. Like pp’s have said food is the same on and off ship in Labadee. Get off and enjoy the beach.

SXM I’d go to Simpson Bay and hit up Karakter or Mary’s Boon or stay by the ship and go to Great Bay Beach and go to Holland House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If half a day at the beach would suit you why don’t you just do that at both stops. It’s easily done at these ports and you get to put your feet in the sand on two days, not one.

For $10 pp or so return I would suggest Little Bay beach over Great Bay beach in St. Maarten.

Why not do both? Labadee is a private beach and requires no real effort why not get off for a few hours.  STX is better.  You can do the easy thing at go to the city beach near the port but we go to a Orient Beach on the French side. Water is beautiful and the 3 new clubs are on nice.