Mardi Gras - Roller Coaster

Mikew0805

18 hours ago, sharktums said:

I don't remember if YouTube links are allowed here, but I've actually been on the EXACT type of roller coaster they're putting on the ship.  It's in Germany and it's the only one in the world until next year when a second one is being built in Italy. 

It's actually the perfect 'coaster' for a ship as it's powered so it won't be affected as much by waves, weight,  or weather. 

If you skip to 33 seconds on this video you can see a POV of the ride, me riding it, and some of our friends riding it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERDZdb14fY

Now that does look cool!  Way too short of a ride, though, and I agree with what others have mentioned: the line up for that activity is going to be bonkers.  But hey, if I had the opportunity I'd ride it!

On 12/13/2018 at 1:41 PM, Shaded Lady said:

I get that but what's the point of putting an attraction on a ship that's closed half the time? We'll be on Vista in June and my 10 YO grandson will be unlivable if the Sky Ride is closed all week, as it so often is! If they can't sustain and maintain it during off hours then what's the point in adding it?

I seriously hope this works, but I'm afraid it will be a boondoggle!

Wasn't a problem during our trip on the Vista, it was open quite a bit.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:39 PM, Salt Wind said:

I just pray no kids are plunged into the ocean.  Ohhh, my heart aches worrying about it. :classic_sad:

Are you serious? How often do hear about people being thrown from coasters?

My first thought was the noise. Judging by the artist's rendition and the CGI video, it nearly wraps around the entire deck. Some of those places, away from the main pool, are used by people looking for a quiet(er) area to relax. How many times a day will this thing go rushing overhead?

For those talking about speeds, I read one article that said it'll be able to reach speeds of nearly 40 mph.

23 hours ago, evandbob said:

And with people waiting on line for the ride, there will be less congestion in other areas of the ship.

As popular as this might be, on a ship with 5,200 passengers, I doubt the lines here will have much impact on the congestion in other areas of the ship.

14 minutes ago, declansdad said:

Are you serious? How often do hear about people being thrown from coasters?

Ahh, good ole CC. Took a break for a few months, but I see the cheerful attitudes haven't gone anywhere. 🙄

As cool as it looks, I wouldn’t risk riding on that sucker, too risky IMO. Also, like others have said, my first thought was, I bet this will be closed most of the time due to “conditions”. If people can’t walk across a plank safely or pedal across a bar safely, how on earth would it be deemed safe to fly at 40 MPH across a coaster safely?? 

On 12/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, dsain said:

I dread the sound (screaming and the coaster itself on the track) of this as I try to relax on deck.

I can imagine the whole superstructure of the ship vibrating while it's running.  I think we'll pass.  Y'all enjoy.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:39 AM, Organized Chaos said:

For those talking about speeds, I read one article that said it'll be able to reach speeds of nearly 40 mph.

40 mph  is a crawl compared to the really good roller coasters.  Many reach speeds of 100 mph or more.  Formula Rossa in UAE has a top speed of nearly 150 mph. 

2 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

40 mph  is a crawl compared to the really good roller coasters.  Many reach speeds of 100 mph or more.  Formula Rossa in UAE has a top speed of nearly 150 mph. 

For comparison, Space Mountain’s max speed is 28mph and with their recently added trim brakes, it generally doesn’t even hit that.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

For comparison, Space Mountain’s max speed is 28mph and with their recently added trim brakes, it generally doesn’t even hit that.

Space Mountain has the benefit of darkness to make it seem scarier. I've seen it lit up. Most people would find it very tame, akin to a kid coaster, if it wasn't a dark ride.

• Like 1

It is not a coaster. It is a motorcycle on a monorail. The ride vehicle is constantly powered. Coasters are known for their long drops and tight turns. Modern coasters have high speed linear motor launches to add to the fun. Oh, and they coast, by gravity.

This ride on Carnival will not have the usual excitement coaster fans are looking for. It will be as thrilling as that on on top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. (It had no thrill at all)

Track integrity is monitored on many coasters by pressurized gas in the tubing. Any small cracks causing a loss of pressure alerts the system and crew to shut down. I am not sure what the ride cycle time is, but I doubt it will do more than 120 riders per hour. The operating hourly capacity of Space Mountain is 1,800 and operating sled speed is 24mph max.

I wonder how an evacuation would be accomplished should the sled fail to continue. How do you get riders down off the track portion around the funnel?

Now a long drop from the top deck down the side making a splash down in the water would make it exciting.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:24 PM, Shaded Lady said:

Declansdad- I may have read Organized Chaos's post wrong, but I thought they were agreeing with you- indicating that the post you were both replying to was overly negative!

If you're worried about a car going off a roller coaster, better to stay home in your nice safe bedroom surrounded by all your paranoia and fears!

If that's the case, I apologize to Organized Chaos.

Meh, not worth booking a cruise on what will be the most expensive ship for this gimmick. Cedar Point can't even keep their rides functional. Millennium force was broken down on 3 out of 4 of my visits to that park and the one time I did get to ride it, it broke down while I was in line. I understand why they are doing it though. I think a zipline would be neat, but maybe it's too windy for that most of the time.