Flying out of Seattle

uncw89

Hi, 

We are going on the June 28 Alaska Ovation of the Seas cruise out of Seattle. I've never done any cruises out of Seattle before. I was wondering if any 11:30 flight home out of Seatac would be possible. Also, looking for hotel recommendations. Thanks!!

We stayed at the Doubletree - very nice hotel, but a walk from there to most of the sites.

When we cruised Seattle a few years ago there was a LONG wait (1 hour+) for taxis.  Using a porter got you served faster, and I've since given up on cabs and switched to Uber/Lyft, so the delay may not affect you.  For an 11:30 flight you need to be at the airport by 10:00 (earlier is better) and the ride from port to airport will take 20-30 min.  That sounds like off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration before 9:00 to be safe.  You should be okay but may want to consider carrying your bags off (or getting a very low number), using a porter, and figuring out your transport options.

As suggested above, check out the West coast board for lots more details and suggestions.

10 hours ago, uncw89 said:

Hi, 

We are going on the June 28 Alaska Ovation of the Seas cruise out of Seattle. I've never done any cruises out of Seattle before. I was wondering if any 11:30 flight home out of Seatac would be possible. Also, looking for hotel recommendations. Thanks!!

We stayed at Staypineapple at Hotel Five in August and it was fabulous! It was just renovated and not like your typical hotels in big cities.  It was close to everything and we were able to walk around the area.  Only drawback was tha there was no free breakfast.  

11:30 flight is doable but anything can happen to delay your ability to get to the airport in time.  I’d rather relax and not stress.

Edited by sellwingri

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

Seatac is my home airport that I fly in and out of all the time. 

I would have no problem with the 1130 AM flight. And if Seattle still has luggage valet it would be a breeze.

But the luggage program won't accept for that early a flight. I guess the traffic advisory by another local resident that I cited is worthless?

I do think Pier 91 will be a bit easier to access than Pier 66 next summer.  They’re saying that commute times will significantly increase due to the viaduct closer/demolition.  With no access to downtown/Belltown from the new tunnel, it will force traffic to side streets and I5. I agree that an 11:30am departure would work most times, this summer may be different.

28 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

But the luggage program won't accept for that early a flight. I guess the traffic advisory by another local resident that I cited is worthless?

Everybody is freaked out by the Alaskan Way viaduct demolition, but by July 5 (when the OP returns) the tunnel and access issues will have long been resolved, and the cab/Uber drivers will be more than familiar with the various routes available.  And because the SR 99 tunnel won't have any downtown entrances/exits, it's altogether possible (in fact, likely) that travel times from T91 to the airport will be quicker than previously.  Overall the new route will be around 1/2 mile longer, but the State is also adding traffic flow management systems to improve surface travel time, so using the tunnel will probably be a wash if not quicker.  

Nevertheless, as always an early disembarking will be a better  idea than a later one.  That will be a holiday weekend, and the security lines at the airport will undoubtedly be quite long.

Edited by Gardyloo

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I never said anything about your post being worthless.  I only mentioned my experience from flying in and out of Seattle on a regular basis.  As previously mentioned, the viaduct demolition will be completed, the tunnel will be open,  and traffic should be better than it is now.  I was unable to find anything on the Port of Seattle website saying that an1130 flight is too earlier. 

Regards.

So Pierlesscruisers (the OP of the link that I am referring to) is wrong when they said the construction is scheduled to August? Ever heard of construction delays?

My flight home is June 17th. Prior to the construction warning, my flight had already changed from 11:50 to 11:20. United allowed us to change to 1:15. So no worries.

I get it that locals are comfortable with a given early flight time...you use the airport regularly and are familiar with all the ins and outs.. I am generally comfortable with an early flight as we travel frequently, and have been through SEA a couple of times. But many who ask this question are not familiar with all the ins and outs, and don't fly often.

Not all airlines participate in the Luggage Valet program. In past years there was a flight cutoff...maybe they have eased it now...

We would’ve easily made an 11:30am flight when we sailed on HAL. But we decided to spend the night and take a 6:00am flight back home the following morning simply because we saved $800 by doing that. We normally fly home as soon as we disembark but it was such a nice, relaxing treat to spend an extra night in Seattle and check out the sights. We were so relaxed and rested when we flew home. 

We stayed at the La Quinta near the airport and were very comfortable with our choice. We used the free hotel shuttle service to get from SEATAC to the hotel, and used the Seattle Express shuttle (much more reasonable fare as compared to a taxi) from hotel to pier 91, which was about 40 minutes away. The driver gave us a sort of narrated "mini tour of Seattle on the way to the pier which we appreciated as we didn't fly in until the day before the cruise and arrived in early evening.. We pre-paid the Seattle Shuttle fares online for both ways which worked out very well. At both ends, our names were on the list for the waiting shuttles.

There are several restaurants in the area of the hotel, when we were out walking to/from a restaurant in the dark, the neighborhood seemed safe the beds were comfortable, the rooms clean, and the staff helpful.

Oh … and here's a helpful hint! There's liquor store very close to the hotel if you want to pick up some wine to take onboard!!

Edited by flamomo

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

So Pierlesscruisers (the OP of the link that I am referring to) is wrong when they said the construction is scheduled to August? Ever heard of construction delays?

The "construction" referred to is the demolition of the old Alaskan Way viaduct that runs along the central waterfront parallel to the piers including Pier 66, aka Bell Street Cruise Terminal.  That will be followed by major upgrades to Alaskan Way itself, the surface street that actually serves the piers, plus the area underneath where the old viaduct ran.  That part of the "construction" is going to take much longer - years, in fact, but during that period full access will be available on surface streets to the central waterfront.

However, the viaduct is closing on January 11 and the tunnel that replaces it will open three weeks later, around Feb. 1.  Traffic coming south from Magnolia and Ballard, which previously had access to the Alaskan Way Viaduct (SR 99) will be streamed to the north portal of the new tunnel once it opens; if you want to look on a map, the north portal is just by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation HQ at Seattle Center.  Traffic will be moved onto Mercer Street from Elliott Avenue, from which an on-ramp will enter SB SR 99 and the tunnel.  Traffic will stay in the tunnel all the way south to where it daylights near the baseball park.

So passengers coming from Pier 91 will completely avoid any construction still in progress on the central waterfront; they'll have diverted to the tunnel long before they get close.  Passengers heading to the airport from Pier 66 will still have to travel on surface streets (as they do now) before joining SR 99 south of the stadiums, or by heading east through downtown Seattle to I-5.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/using-the-new-sr-99-tunnel

If you opt for 'self-disembarkation'', meaning that you are will to carry your own bags off the ship starting at 7:15 AM.  You  then can be one of the first passengers in the taxi line and arrive at SeaTac airport as early as 8:15 AM or just after.   If you opt for Uber, please allow time to walk the quarter mile to the Uber pick-up lot at pier 91.

SeaTac (especially in the summer) is a very busy airport.  Please allow plenty of time to get through security.

Personally, I think that you self-disembark by 7:30 AM and take a taxi,  making your 11:30 AM flight will be very doable.

• Like 1

An 11:30 am flight is fine. We've cruised out of Seattle many times (and have family there) and typically would easily make flights from 11am on.

Hotel suggestions: There's really nothing around your cruise pier. I'd opt for a hotel in downtown Seattle for easy access to the tourist attractions. There are many hotels, in all price ranges, but remember that June in Seattle is the tourist season and prices will go up across the board.

1 hour ago, VideoTech said:

An 11:30 am flight is fine. We've cruised out of Seattle many times (and have family there) and typically would easily make flights from 11am on.

Do you think an 11am flight would be ok when disembarking from Pier 66 in June 2019?

Absolutely, assuming no unusual delays in docking and clearing the ship for disembarkation. If you're really concerned about the time, be in the first walk off disembarkation (taking your own luggage). Take your own transport to Seatac (don't use a shared ride shuttle because you'll have to wait for the others to get to the van). Uber, Lyft, Taxi or Car service. 

1 hour ago, VideoTech said:

Absolutely, assuming no unusual delays in docking and clearing the ship for disembarkation.

Good to know, thank you. I thought that things might be bit slower in that area with the viaduct demolition going on. Heading south along Alaskan Way there will only be one lane open in each direction through the demolition area. Heading north towards Broad St. is an option that might be better and less congested until one of the numerous trains goes by that blocks traffic.