Flight canceled and cruise missed

Roses253

7 hours ago, SRF said:

Link/proof?

From their site, I am not seeing that.   It would make a big difference in the value of the card.

I have found plenty of links and proof which you could have found too. But you think you know everything. 

5BAEA37C-E335-4212-84E3-254E12B5B1F2.png

Edited by Charles4515

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, BNBR said:

GoodSam TravelAssist has family evac coverage for about $70 annually.  Don't tell the wife. 😁

We also purchase the Good Sam Travel Assist insurance for the evacuation coverage.  In addition, we take the standard cruise insurance offered by RCCL for medical coverage and trip insurance coverage.  Our Chase/Sapphire Private Client VISA card covers trip cancelation, trip interruption, and lost luggage.  Our Medicare and BC/BS do, in certain emergency situations, cover portions outside the U.S.  We feel comfortable with these insurance companies working together.  Evacuation expenses can really be costly, which is why we purchase the GS Travel Assist insurance - AND because it covers for the entire year, it'll cover all the cruises you take in that year.  For those who aren't aware, you don't have to be a Good Sam member to purchase this insurance. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have found plenty of links and proof which you could have found too. But you think you know everything. 

No, I am ASKING.  If this is true, it would be well worth getting the card.  And I posted what I found on the AMEX site.

But this is still not in writing from AMEX.

And before you tell me to call them, I am not in the US at this time, but will call them next week when I am back.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:38 PM, memoak said:

I never get insurance because I am never going to miss a cruise however I always fly in at least 1-2 days before the sail date and if it is in Europe then at least 3 days

I always get insurance through a travel insurance broker mainly for the emergency medical evacuation part. You never want to end up in a third world hospital with a serious injury or illness and can't afford to fly back home. I met a guy a few years ago that got appendicitis while docked in Jamaica. He had $200k of emergency medical evacuation on his travel policy that paid for a private jet to fly him and his wife back home to Tampa for emergency surgery that evening.

On 12/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, Roses253 said:

Are there options I’m missing? Our flight was canceled due to a crew shortage and they didn’t have any flights soon enough to still make our cruise.  The cruise line said we’d get $350 back from fees and taxes and we will show up as no shows. I paid $1500 plus excursions but didn’t get travel insurance or book our flight through the cruise line. They won’t allow you to cancel and apply what you paid to a different cruise?

roses

The option you're missing is to fly in at least a day before you sail.

2 hours ago, constable145 said:

The option you're missing is to fly in at least a day before you sail.

Still need insurance. One day before and if your flight is canceled the airline still might not get you there for the cruise if flights are canceled do to bad weather. Also with cruise insurance make sure your policy covers flying you to the next port if you miss the ship. 

9 hours ago, SRF said:

No, I am ASKING.  If this is true, it would be well worth getting the card.  And I posted what I found on the AMEX site.

But this is still not in writing from AMEX.

And before you tell me to call them, I am not in the US at this time, but will call them next week when I am back.

I would not say that makes it well worth getting the card. I consider it a plus combined with other benefits I personally get from the card. Take a look at the other benefits. Customer service has been pretty good. Every year when the annual fee comes due I rev-evaluate. I don’t consider the AMEX Platnium a must have card. The annual fee is high so I don’t automatically keep it. Also some of the card benefits have changed every year. They have both given and subtracted. I have been looking at getting one of the yearly Medical Evacuation plans. They look like better plans than those that come with credit cards or that come with travel  insurance policies.  Medijet for example has their own fleet of planes. 

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I would not say that makes it well worth getting the card. I consider it a plus combined with other benefits I personally get from the card. Take a look at the other benefits. Customer service has been pretty good. Every year when the annual fee comes due I rev-evaluate. I don’t consider the AMEX Platnium a must have card. The annual fee is high so I don’t automatically keep it. Also some of the card benefits have changed every year. They have both given and subtracted. I have been looking at getting one of the yearly Medical Evacuation plans. They look like better plans than those that come with credit cards or that come with travel  insurance policies.  Medijet for example has their own fleet of planes. 

Agreed.  But that is a big perk if they do med evac for ANY trip.

I have purchased from Medjet before.

Currently, I purchase via a link from my auto/home insurance company, and without covering the cost of the trip itself, it costs me $32 to cover a trip of less than a month.

The lounges are of minimal benefit to me, as I have access to all the lounges if I travel internationally (which is most of my travel), and have lounge access on one major US carrier through their credit card.

Edited by SRF

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Agreed.  But that is a big perk if they do med evac for ANY trip.

I have purchased from Medjet before.

Currently, I purchase via a link from my auto/home insurance company, and without covering the cost of the trip itself, it costs me $32 to cover a trip of less than a month.

The lounges are of minimal benefit to me, as I have access to all the lounges if I travel internationally (which is most of my travel), and have lounge access on one major US carrier through their credit card.

Good Sam Travel Assist is good for any and all trips throughout the year for $79.  Covers entire family.  $69 for a couple I think. Domestic and international trips. They will even fly out a family member if you are alone. 

On 12/29/2018 at 10:56 AM, Charles4515 said:

Again, Chuck, I hope you are right, if I ever or the DW ever has a medical issue, I am calling that 800 number and I hope they deliver me from evil...

just not sure I am going to the bank on it.

jc

Again, Chuck, I hope you are right, if I ever or the DW ever has a medical issue, I am calling that 800 number and I hope they deliver me from evil...

just not sure I am going to the bank on it.

jc

I hope you and your DW never need a medical evacuation. Or that I ever need one. We probably won’t but of course we can’t bank on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes not even arriving the day before is enough. Two years ago, my daughter had a flight from Philadelphia to Miami scheduled 24 hours before embarkation.

Due to extreme thunderstorms up and down the East Coast, her flight was cancelled and due to flight backups from the storm, she could not get down to Miami in time. She tried every airline departing from NY, Philly, and Baltimore. No luck.

As it was only a 4 day cruise, she did not have insurance. She lost all money except for port fees. Fighting with Royal got her nowhere.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:54 PM, BNBR said:

Centurion lounges are often terrible. Just overcrowded, mostly uncomfortable seating, etc.  We usually don't even bother anymore. Especially with airports often having outstanding bars and restaurants. Even the seats by the gate are more comfortable than the hard plastic cafe chairs in the AMEX lounge, unless you are lucky enough to snag a decent couch. 

I know this is really off topic for this topic but the Centurion Lounge at DFW yesterday  between 11:30 and 12:30 was was not overcrowded. It was not dirty.  I thought the seats were fine. The food offerings were nothing special but were okay. Had a glass of Pinot Noir and it was good. The staff was helpful and friendly. Would I get the AMEX Platnium card for Centurion Lounges alone. Absolutly not, particularly since they don't have one at any my home airports, Washington Reagan, Washington Dulles and BWI, but as part of the whole package it is nice to have the lounges. As whole the card has been worth it for me to keep. I tallied it up, last year I did come out ahead.

On topic Friday I am flying to Fort Lauderdale two days early for Sunday cruise. Because it is winter I did two days instead of one like usual, and I like Fort Lauderdale, so another day warm at this time of year works for me. I bought a third party cruise insurance policy because I want to be covered for the cruise cost and the policy does cover trip delay and trip interruption. in 2018 I had three flights canceled, a high percentage of my flights, flights to San Juan,  Reykavik and Dallas so flight cancellations, interuptions and delays are not unusual. I think buying travel insurance makes sense. The odds are not low that something could happen. 

Edited by Charles4515