Anthem of the Seas 12/21-12/29

vidsmart

Day 1

This was a special cruise for a couple reasons. It was a Christmas present for my 2 grandkids, 2 daughters, and son-in-law; and during the cruise I planned to finish the final chapter of a book I am writing, The Joy of Cruising. It was a surprise for the grandkids, who couldn’t understand why there were not going to school Friday. With a ruse of driving to NY to my mom’s house, the grandkids and their parents drove up to my single daughter’s office in NJ supposedly to pick her up. In the lobby of the office building my grandkids were given a giant Christmas card which announced the cruise and had photos of all the Anthem activities. My wife and I could see all of the high fives and jumping up and down from a limo parked outside the lobby as they kids got the first surprise. The second surprise was when they came out to the limo and my wife and I—up from FL—were sitting inside.

Boarding was super efficient as reps with tablets checked us in within minutes. We thought it was just a first step and when we then got in a long line were told we go board the ship. I guess the people in the long lines had not pre-checked in?

Our cabins were on deck 10, “spacious ocean views”. They were on the opposite corners of the front of the ship and were more than twice the size of a standard OV but were not suites. They were wonderfully spacious but I wish they had 2 bathrooms. My daughter set up the cutest Charlie Brown Christmas tree in her room.

We ate in Cafe 270 to avoid the Windjammer Buffet embarkation day crowd. 270 was not crowded at all. Wife had a Reuben but we’ve never heard of a  Reuben without sauerkraut.

I had grilled blue cheese/bacon on sourdough and RCCL’s signature Kummelwelt roast beef. I will be having plenty more of both. After muster drill in the Music Hall, stayed for an overview and wife won $300 off a next cruise. She shrugged her shoulders but I smiled inside cuz I have my eyes on Symphony out of Miami this summer.

Had couples massage, best I ever had. Seems I tend to find that to be true of the last massage I have had! Had one in Jamaica on a cruise in July and thought it was the best I ever had. For me massages are like cruises—never had a bad one.

Went to 6:30 welcome aboard show which was a lot of families with kids. Was looking forward to seeing the comedian Tasha; she was decidedly underwhelming. She struck me as a comic who thrives with adult comedy and just lacked the versatility to do family stuff. After a painful closing skit which involved inviting a couple of kids onstage, she plugged her upcoming adult show and stated almost apologetically “I guarantee it will be a lot different than this one.”

Other than my 14yo grandson who went to the “infamous” Sorrentos, we thought dinner was fine at MDR but we always do as we are not foodies.

Checked out the Royal Esplanade particularly the liquor shop for my cruise ship staples of Sheridan’s two compartment bottle of coffee liquor/Irish cream, and Hennessy Pure White as they are not available in the US. They had Sheridan’s but I was quite disappointed this cruise did not have Henny White.

10:30, time for the Lakers game so i headed back to my stateroom.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, vidsmart said:

Quite cold; and day 1 and early part of day 2 was the unsteadiest i have ever experienced on a cruise

Yikes!  That was a huge storm that hit the area.  The reason why Anthem got back to dock 8 hours early (Thursday Night). 

Please keep posting any updates.  We're heading out on the 29th.

31 minutes ago, lizzy911 said:

Thanks for doing this. If any of your grandchildren use the kids / teens club can you give their thoughts? How many under 18 are on board? (We're going in March)

A lot under 18 but this cruise may not be a good basis for comparison because it is a Christmas cruise; I would think it is far more young people than you might expect in March. My 9yo granddaughter loves kids clubs more than anything else on a cruise other than getting in the pool (this is her 4th cruise), and she really is enjoying this one. She did mention that the one on Anthem is much larger than the one she experienced in July (Celebrity Equinox). I haven’t seen my 14 yo grandson much. Let me know if you have specific questions about the clubs and I will ask each of them for you.

• Like 1

Day 2

After breakfast in the Windjammer Buffet we all excitedly headed to our reservation for the North Star; well almost all of us were excited. Two expressed a fear of heights but after I showed them a video on YouTube, they at least accompanied us to the place to board the North Star. Alas, we were told that because of high winds our North Star reservation was moved to Sunday. 24 hours for the 2 on the fence to back out! BTW, speaking of high winds, the voyage yesterday and most of today was by far the rockiest I have ever experienced on a cruise.

Most of the family got to experience different aspects of the Seaplex today. First, my 9 yo granddaughter, 2 daughters, and I loved the bumper cars; then, the bumper cars were removed and my grandson played basketball; then, my daughters and son-in-law played dodgeball; finally my daughters took my granddaughter roller skating but it was at capacity so they are supposed to try again at 8am (I put the chance of my daughters being up in time at slim and none.)

Dinner tonight was in the Solarium Bistro which offers served entrees and a buffet appetizer and dessert selection. Both the appetizers and desserts have a primarily Greek influence, e.g. hummus, baklava, etc. My entree was a Mahi Mahi dish. The Solarium Bistro was much less crowded than the MDR. Perhaps because of the specialized menu, or passengers just don’t know about it. (Does seem to be promoted oddly in the Cruise Planner.) The comedian we saw yesterday was eating across from us and we debated whether or not to go to her adult show at 11. We decided to pass.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lovelife said:

Has it warmed up any yet?  We board Saturday - woo hoo!

Yes, the outdoor pool was packed today (was deserted the first 2 days). Not exactly hot but you would never know by the crowd, bathing suits, and Reggae band jammin by the pool

20 hours ago, GSRDPM said:

Is the Cruise Director Dennis Charles or Tornado Tanya?

Tanya. (I assume Tornada is a nickname for high energy?) I can’t say I have noticed many Cruise Directors before, but she doesn’t seem particularly dynamic

Day 3

This was a jam packed day, in part because of our weather-rescheduled North Star ride.  It started with my daughter and I attending the sushi making class at Izumi. My daughter was in her glory as sushi is her favorite and it was a wonderful bonding experience. Anyone considering this I can’t recommend it enough. I only wish I noticed others taking their sushi out with them. I forced myself to eat all that I made and was uncomfortably stuffed for a couple hours!

Next up was the North Star. Thankfully the two on the fence because of a fear of heights summon the courage to go. Everyone loved it and we got to looked down on a pool deck teeming with people because the weather is now decent (the 1st two days the outside pool deck was deserted because it was too cold.) For anyone on the fence, it is about equivalent to riding a very tall ferris wheel.

Next was the I-fly skydiving simulator.  All participated except my wife due to her vertigo. It was an absolute blast for everyone including my wife who videotaped not only each family during their “skydive” but 5 other passengers who did I-fly in the “flight” we were in. Turns out they had iPhones like my wife and she was able to share each person’s video with them via airdrop. They each were very appreciative.

Dinner was in The Windjammer Buffet as we had reservations for Cabaret except for the grandkids. My daughter’s were grudgingly going because they are not into musicals and one asked me if I would be offended if she walked out early. I told her I don’t particularly like musicals either and may walk out myself but I doubted it because I had read on this board that was a spellbinding high-tech production. It was, featuring music and dancing my daughters were into. We were all very pleased and they both acknowledged they should not have prejudged (they said the word cabaret misled them.) 

Ended the night with Sun Night football on the giant screen at the pool. It was too cool for me to watch but that was not stopping many others.

Edited by vidsmart
Typo
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 8:37 PM, vidsmart said:

Tanya. (I assume Tornada is a nickname for high energy?) I can’t say I have noticed many Cruise Directors before, but she doesn’t seem particularly dynamic

Thanks!

Yikes--I HATE ferris wheels. But I LOVE the High Roller in Las Vegas--and North Star pod looks just like those pods. I think I'll be ok...

Loving your live review...we board Saturday! 

THANK YOU for sharing!!

On 12/22/2018 at 7:20 PM, lizzy911 said:

Thanks for doing this. If any of your grandchildren use the kids / teens club can you give their thoughts? How many under 18 are on board? (We're going in March)

There's over 1300 under 18 on the Christmas sailing.  My kids have always loved the clubs, we've been cruising since they were in the 3yo age group, and have hit every group on up thru the years.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yikes--I HATE ferris wheels. But I LOVE the High Roller in Las Vegas--and North Star pod looks just like those pods. I think I'll be ok...

Loving your live review...we board Saturday! 

THANK YOU for sharing!!

Haha; I only meant that it was about as “thrilling” as a Ferris wheel—slow moving, and high off the ground, but that is where the similarities end. For those who might have some apprehension about getting on the Northstar, there is nothing to worry about. (Although when we first got on my grown daughter wanted to lay on the floor of the Northstar as it elevated and she gripped my hand tightly at first).

Day 4

First stop at Port Canaveral. (Funny we fly to NY from FL to board Anthem and then the first port of call is close to home!) My wife and I took the grandkids to Kennedy Space Center. I thought the the excursion was going to be cancelled because of the government shutdown—did not realize KSC is privately funded. Definitely highly recommended although there is a lot more to see and experience than could fit into the 6-hour tour. I did not realize how far along the private space ventures were (Amazon, Elon Musk, Branson, etc.) or that they all use/lease KSC launch pads, facilities etc. I guess I haven’t been paying attention. Daughters went to the mall to finish Christmas shopping.

Minor screw up on the part of Anthem; I made reservations online weeks ago to The Gift for Mon night (and it was reflected in both the Royal IQ app and on the television in my room.) Right before heading to the show I called guest services to confirm location and was informed there were no more performances of The Gift. Apparently my reservation had been moved to earlier in the cruise and I should have received an email prior to boarding. Of course I never did. Obviously RCCL has system issues because it was still as I reserved it in the app/TV. Oh well...

Dinner in main dining room again—food was fine. We got treated extra specially: our servers were 2 brothers from Indonesia and the first thing I did was ask them if their family was safe given the tsunami. They seemed really moved by that expression of care and concern. Secondly, one of my daughters had traveled to Bali earlier in the year with a singles travel group and they just couldn’t stop talking to my daughter about her trip and knew about all of the things she did and places she visited in Bali.

14 hours ago, NanciRDH said:

There's over 1300 under 18 on the Christmas sailing.  My kids have always loved the clubs, we've been cruising since they were in the 3yo age group, and have hit every group on up thru the years.  

Thanks! Have the kids clubs hit capacity? We were planning on using most morning sessions and a few evening ones when we sail.

10 minutes ago, lizzy911 said:

Thanks! Have the kids clubs hit capacity? We were planning on using most morning sessions and a few evening ones when we sail.

Honestly, I'm not sure.  If I had to guess, no.  Not all guests take advantage of AO for their kids.  I'm not on the ship at the moment, my daughter works on it...so if you see Puss in Boots, or King Julien, be sure to say hello!  

• Haha 1