Port Days Drink Package Question

heatherRN53

We are going on our first cruise in late October from New York City to Florida and Bahamas. We have three sea days and three port days. We have a Premium drink package with Norweigan Cruise lines. I have read in a few places, that while in port, the taxes on your drinks are not included. Is this fact or fiction? I was under the assumption that drink packages included taxes . Just a little confused about the fine details and all the wonderful experienced cruisers can clear this up for me in no time. Thanks in advance. We have booked and cancelled a few cruises, and this time, we are going with friends. ACTUALLY DOING IT!!!!

Edited by heatherRN53

50 minutes ago, heatherRN53 said:

We are going on our first cruise in late October from New York City to Florida and Bahamas. We have three sea days and three port days. We have a Premium drink package with Norweigan Cruise lines. I have read in a few places, that while in port, the taxes on your drinks are not included. Is this fact or fiction? I was under the assumption that drink packages included taxes . Just a little confused about the fine details and all the wonderful experienced cruisers can clear this up for me in no time. Thanks in advance. We have booked and cancelled a few cruises, and this time, we are going with friends. ACTUALLY DOING IT!!!!

All over the world there are countries that subject visiting cruise ships to their local sales taxes. Just depends on where you're going.

If the Country or State/Province charges sales tax when the vessel is within their territorial waters (generally 12 miles offshore), then you will be charged the required sales tax on any drinks ordered prior to reaching International Waters.

We have experienced it a few times, but can't recall where.

Have had this happen on a regular basis when purchasing a drink at sail away.  An additional tax added because you are still in the area regulated by the port.  For me it has been most common at US ports.

Edited by wheezedr
Spelling

I’ve had that drink package on norwegian. You should only get charged tax on drinks while in US waters. Our cruise started in Tampa with our first port in key west. We were charged taxes on our drinks until after dinner the second day. Now we barely left Florida to get from Tampa to let west so we paid taxes the entire first day and night. Not sure if they will be charged while you are in transit from New York to Florida. I believe it’s based on the state you are in so maybe it will disappear once u leave New York until you arrive in Florida?

Edited by sanger727

On 12/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, heatherRN53 said:

You will pay the tax on your drinks while in port, in FL and NY. They are typically about $1 per drink in Florida (this is based on personal experience). The drink package includes the service charges but not taxes, because NCL is required to remit them on a per drink basis.  Plan on an extra $10 per person and you should more than cover them.

Edited by zqvol

One cannot generalize, across cruise lines, about how taxes are handled with drink packages.  While some cruise lines might add the tax to your onboard account (even if you have a drink package) other lines do not add any tax.  The reality is that they should not charge you any tax since the transaction was pre-paid (or part of a package or fare) so there does not have to be any financial transaction or tax.  But if a cruise line has a policy of ringing-up all drinks (even those ultimately covered by a package) then you might get royally scre&^^%*.   One interesting issue is what happens if you purchase a drink package while in port (i.e. as soon as you board).  Before doing this kind of transaction you should ask if you will be charged the additional local tax.  Some cruise lines will do the transaction on paper and not enter it into the computer until the ship is in International waters (so no tax).  But others might do the transaction while in port which could cost you some extra money.  Since policies are always changing we always ask the "tax" question before we buy anything in port.

Hank