First Time Princess and Alaska Cruisers

rstackjd

Greetings All!

We have reasonably extensive cruising experience but generally "warm" places and on either NCL or Disney.   We just booked our first Princess Cruise for our 20th Anniversary in July of 2019 to Alaska.   Several questions for you if you don't mind.

1) We are taking the northbound cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage.   At least one person has said this is undesirable but couldn't tell us why this was less desirable than the southbound route. - Thoughts?  opinions?  experience?

2) we are on the Island Princess, which we understand to be a smaller ship - we think similar to the Norwegian Sun, which is fine for us.   We are booked in cabin A209 a balcony on deck 12 as far forward as you can get, starboard side.   Anyone have any thoughts or input (or pictures) of this cabin?

3) Any Princess specific quirks we should be aware of?

4) We sailed on time on Carnival   I know they are all the same parent company - since we are "past cruisers" on Carnival, does that carry to Princess?

5) Finally, NCL give's shareholders who own a minimum number of shares a stateroom credit.   Does Carnival Corp do any similar thing?

Any other insights would be really appreciated!

Thank you

I'll let the message board experts answer your other questions, but can say emphatically there is absolutely nothing undesirable about the Vancouver to Anchorage route and cannot imagine why anyone would think there is. And if you've never been to Vancouver, it's a great place to spend a few days prior to departure..

I agree there really isn't anything undesirable about a northbound cruise.  If you were going to take a land tour, I would recommend the southbound cruise, but since you aren't, it doesn't make a bit of difference.  The main reason I recommend southbound with a land tour is that the land tour is very active (new venue each night, travel between venues, etc) and a cruise afterward gives you a chance to unwind and relax before going back home.

No, sailing on Carnival or any of the Carnival lines doesn't get you any "past passenger" credit on Princess.

Yes, Princess gives OBC for those that own Carnival stock.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, towhee said:

I agree there really isn't anything undesirable about a northbound cruise.  If you were going to take a land tour, I would recommend the southbound cruise, but since you aren't, it doesn't make a bit of difference.  The main reason I recommend southbound with a land tour is that the land tour is very active (new venue each night, travel between venues, etc) and a cruise afterward gives you a chance to unwind and relax before going back home.

No, sailing on Carnival or any of the Carnival lines doesn't get you any "past passenger" credit on Princess.

Yes, Princess gives OBC for those that own Carnival stock.

Thanks for your thoughts!   Looks like my 401k is going to own another cruise line!  Lol

35 minutes ago, hop2it said:

I'll let the message board experts answer your other questions, but can say emphatically there is absolutely nothing undesirable about the Vancouver to Anchorage route and cannot imagine why anyone would think there is. And if you've never been to Vancouver, it's a great place to spend a few days prior to departure..

36 minutes ago, hop2it said:

Thank you! 

41 minutes ago, rstackjd said:

Greetings All!

We have reasonably extensive cruising experience but generally "warm" places and on either NCL or Disney.   We just booked our first Princess Cruise for our 20th Anniversary in July of 2019 to Alaska.   Several questions for you if you don't mind.

1) We are taking the northbound cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage.   At least one person has said this is undesirable but couldn't tell us why this was less desirable than the southbound route. - Thoughts?  opinions?  experience?

2) we are on the Island Princess, which we understand to be a smaller ship - we think similar to the Norwegian Sun, which is fine for us.   We are booked in cabin A209 a balcony on deck 12 as far forward as you can get, starboard side.   Anyone have any thoughts or input (or pictures) of this cabin?

4) We sailed on time on Carnival   I know they are all the same parent company - since we are "past cruisers" on Carnival, does that carry to Princess?

5) Finally, NCL give's shareholders who own a minimum number of shares a stateroom credit.   Does Carnival Corp do any similar thing?

Thank you

1.Did the NB ourselves, not a problem.

4.  No rollover from Carnival.

5.  Need 100 shares in any account.  OBC varies with length of cruise.  Also pays a regular dividend but hard to know what to do in a volatile market.  If you plan on multiple Carnival Corp cruises, Princess, Carnival, Holland then it becomes a better value indeed.

I have done several NB and SB - they are both great. I actually prefer NB as the scenery gets better as you go North. I also like it because my favorite shore excursion in Juneau - there is enough time when you go NB but not SB.

If you are interested in a great excursion (and reasonable by Alaska standards) - check this out:

https://www.adventureboundalaska.com

42 minutes ago, rstackjd said:

As someone already mentioned, you do get onboard credit if you own Carnival stock, but the minimum amount of stock you need to own was not mentioned. The minimum amount of stock you must own is 100 shares. Another thing that is nice to know is that this is a great time to buy that stock as it is now trading at around $46-47/share which is lower than it's been in over 3 years! It had gotten as high as almost $72/share back at the end of this past January and, hopefully, it'll climb back up into that range once again in the coming year or so.

I'm attaching a copy of the form that you would use to request the OBC should you decide to buy. Don't worry about the "valid date" on the form, you don't even really need to use the form at all but it does have all the info you'll need to file (address, etc.)

Tom

Carnival Shareholder Stock form-valid through 31 Jul 2018.pdf

1 hour ago, rstackjd said:

Greetings All!

Again, not much difference. Some like to do the land tour first then relax on a southbound cruise, but you are not doing the land tour. Others like the shorter flight home after the cruise. Northbound voyages are slightly less expensive.

A209. You may here some noise above you from the buffet area. The ship has 2,200 passengers. I would recommend the Coral Princess rather than the Island, if you can make the switch. While both are nice ship's the Coral has 200 fewer passengers and more public lounges for shows and activities. They were sister ships when first built, but the Island has had some major renovation.

Thank you

see above

We bought 100 shares of CCL several years ago which now has increased since we have the dividends re-invested.  It is good on any Carnival Corp cruise which includes HAL, Carnival, Princess etc.  On Princess 100 shares owned by either of you will get you $100 OBC for the 7 day cruise but only one per cabin.  It was also mentioned that Princess recognizes veterans with an additional $100 OBC for a 7 day cruise and is eligible for any military veteran so that if both cabin occupants are veterans they each get the $100 OBC for a 7 day cruise.  You have to send a copy of your DD-214 to Princess to claim it.  With Princess they allow stacking of OBC so that you get all OBC you are entitled.  

We did the NB AK cruise out of Vancouver and enjoyed it.  Best side NB is the starboard side unless you are getting an inside cabin.  We did the NB cruise and then spent a week in AK on a self tour renting a car and going to Denali, Fairbanks etc.  

Edited by satxdiver

4 hours ago, hop2it said:

Definitely right.  Vancouver is great, and the Northbound route is fantastic..  You get to visit College Fjord on the Northbound cruise, and it is wonderful.

i have done 16 Alaska cruises, and I have loved them all😌

Am not familiar with the Island Princess, but we just did a 10 day RT from SF on the Grand in Sept. and I cannot imagine ever being disappointed with any Alaska itinerary! What an amazing part of our beautiful world! Glacier Bay is awe inspiring! Just amazing! Enjoy your voyage!

• Like 1

We have done two southbound cruises, after doing a land tour.  In June we are doing the northbound out of Vancouver.  Alaska is beautiful and there is always something new to discover and enjoy.  Check the private excursions offered by many companies.  We've never been disappointed with them.  Whale watch, train trips, journeys to Yukon Territory, sled dog rides, gold panning have all been super fun.  A  shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage will be a first for us.

Enjoy planning!!