Favorite vegetarian items in MDR

30scruiser

One evening each 7 night cruise a portobello mushroom entree stuffed with butternut squash is served. It is on the regular menu and not to be confused with the stuffed mushroom appetizer that we do not care for. 

I just checked my planning notes for our Dream cruise in February and the stuffed Portobellos are served on the 4th night and the sauce with them is excellent. On Carnival it's advisable to politely inform your lead server you require hot foods served hot. Otherwise they often are served lukewarm. That's not a criticism but something we have experienced on Carnival since 1991. I Googled for a pic but could not find one of the entree. Be sure to Google Carnival menus if you haven't already.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Thanks 1

The Indian Vegetarian on the Everyday Menu is always great, and you get a lot of food with it.  I'll get that a couple times a cruise--it switches up and seems to be a chef's choice.  And the vegetarian vegetable pies are always tasty--they usually have one on the elegant evenings.  For dessert, nothing beats Bitter and Blanc.   

• Thanks 2

I also recommend the Indian vegetarian.  FWIW, once I asked for the veggie burger at Guy's and watched the cook drop the veggie burger in to the fryer used to make the fries.  Yes, I got a veggie burger and it was delicious. However, had I known it was deep fried I would have chosen something else to eat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Florida Paesano said:

I also recommend the Indian vegetarian.  FWIW, once I asked for the veggie burger at Guy's and watched the cook drop the veggie burger in to the fryer used to make the fries.  Yes, I got a veggie burger and it was delicious. However, had I known it was deep fried I would have chosen something else to eat.  

The same happened to me and was told the only alternative would be to grill it alongside the beef patties. Some ships are now serving the veggie burgers at the deli but I'm not sure how they cook them. I'll find out on the Dream in February.

12 hours ago, naxer said:

The Indian Vegetarian on the Everyday Menu is always great, and you get a lot of food with it.  I'll get that a couple times a cruise--it switches up and seems to be a chef's choice.  And the vegetarian vegetable pies are always tasty--they usually have one on the elegant evenings.  For dessert, nothing beats Bitter and Blanc.   

Agree about the Indian Vegetarian on the Everyday Menu - excellent and a nice change of pace.

Roz

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stellarose said:

they had great vegetarian dishes on the pride. I can't remember a specific one but loved getting the veggie burger at Guys.

Awesome! I didn’t think they would have a veggie burger. That’s very exciting.

The vegetable/cheese lasagna is very good and filling.  There is also a tomato stuffed with quinoa and vegetable that is very good.  As mentioned above the vegetable pies and the everyday Indian choice are great.  One of my favorite seafood choices is a seafood newburg type pasta dish loaded with scallops and shrimp.

In the MDR, my favorite dessert is usually the butter pecan ice cream.

There is plenty of choices as long as you are not picky.  Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for these photos. The first pic is of the butternut squash and spinach stuffed portobello mushrooms in a Parmesan cream that I mentioned to the OP. 

Are those slices of bacon in the last photo vegetarian?  😉

Edited by sanmarcosman

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I’m not a vegetarian, but on my last cruise I tried the spanakopitas (I cant recall the exact name of the dish, but I believe it has spinach & feta inside). It was served with a quinoa-stuffed pepper and OMG, this dish was DELICIOUS!  Next time I’m on a cruise and they have this dish, I’m ordering two. Because they weren’t that filling. 😊

185C869D-0AA6-4CED-AB8D-774EC1423C6D.jpeg

Edited by bakersdozen12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Ok, so I’m not a vegetarian, but on my last cruise I tried the spanakopitas (I cant recall the exact name of the dish, but I believe it has spinach & feta inside). It was served with a quinoa-stuffed pepper and OMG, this dish was DELICIOUS!  Next time I’m on a cruise and they have this dish, I’m ordering two. Because they weren’t that filling. 😊

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't ordered this because it's served on the second elegant evening and I order the Dual of Filet Mignon and Short Ribs. Now I know to have both the Spanakopita and Stuffed Bell Peppers and the Dual as usual. Good tip!

Obviously I'm not vegetarian either but I like to try new foods. If you haven't ordered the Crisp Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Butternut Squash and Spinach on Parmesan cream sauce. It's not a lot of food and makes a good second entree. The Portobello is usually served the third evening.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2018 at 5:17 AM, sanmarcosman said:

Thanks for these photos. The first pic is of the butternut squash and spinach stuffed portobello mushrooms in a Parmesan cream that I mentioned to the OP. 

Are those slices of bacon in the last photo vegetarian?  😉

Do you know if the filling is vegan and the par m cream would be the only thing with dairy? I'm cruising with vegan friends.

13 minutes ago, bahacca said:

Do you know if the filling is vegan and the par m cream would be the only thing with dairy? I'm cruising with vegan friends.

The sauce for sure contains butter. The mushrooms are panko style in cornmeal and are pan sauteed. I don't know whether oil or butter is used to saute them. Carnival is good with special requests with advance notice. For instance, if you ask the maitre d' on the second evening as you are leaving if the mushrooms are sauteed in butter could a vegetable oil be substituted so that the dish is vegan. Or you could ask your head waiter but as long as I know my table number I have had success communicating with the maitre d'. Asking the night before is key to a good result. They want you happy and will do it if they can. 

I'm a planner and use the 7 day menus here for planning my dinners before I leave home. :classic_blush:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2295471-carnival-pride-menus-funtimes-and-kids-club-scans/

Edited by sanmarcosman

The Indian veg dinner in the MDR is superb.  There will usually be some heat and the flavours are very authentic.  During breakfast/brunch (don't remember which) there is a masala dosa, which is a very popular food in India.  Their version is ok but the potato component has zero heat...it doesn't have to burn, but it's almost bland.  You can take my words with a grain of salt if you wish.  I'm Indian and fat, so what do I know?