RCCL issues crime warning for Nassau

SakeDad

On 12/27/2018 at 1:53 AM, JamesEM said:

When I'm on a cruise that stops in Nassau, I stay on the ship.

Before I spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, I make certain it doesn't go to Nassau....😝

On 12/27/2018 at 2:47 AM, mugtech said:

I refuse to take a cruise that stops in Nassau.  Twice was more than enough.

1000% agree!!  ⬆️

I have long gotten warnings for ports in our room, some times on their own, sometimes as part of the cruise compass.  I don't think this is a new warning.  I did see it posted on FB.  I think someone may have seen it for the first time and/or been alarmed by the wording and from social media the day after there were a bunch of cruise news blog posts.  It is a good reminder to be vigilant in port, and also brings up the interesting point where a few months ago Nassau was trying to leverage cruise lines because not enough passengers are disembarking.   Well, Nassau, there are many reasons why cruise ship passengers may choose to stay onboard for the ship itself, but petty crimes, tourist targeting, and rude and pushy vendors are not helping your case either.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Before I spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, I make certain it doesn't go to Nassau....😝

1000% agree!!  ⬆️

I used to feel similarly, but am in South Florida and SO MANY cruises call at Nassau.  It has turned into a perfect "at sea" day for us really.  I do think Nassau Harbor, sailing in and out past the lighthouse, is very pretty.  Fun to watch some of the boat traffic and usually a nice breeze.  But we enjoy a ship day while most others get off.  We don't gamble or shop so don't care that those amenities are closed; the ship is quiet and we can relax in any place we choose.   Zero FOMO in Nassau after so many port visits ashore for us. 

It's usually not a huge deal either way for us. I love the water color and I am fine staying on the boat or going for a walk on shore. But, I admit it seems to have gone down hill in recent years.

Years ago my son (16 at the time) and I decided to do a walking tour with the Queens Staircase as the focal point. We got a little lost and came across a small staircase and a local sitting on a step, we asked him if this was THE Queens Staircase and he got up and as he was walking away said, "yes this it". We couldn't believe it, it was so small. We kept waking and finally came across it. Very cool and I would recommend it. Just be aware that some of the roads are a bit narrow and there was no sidewalk. At least on the rout we took.

• Like 1

We went there recently on the Navigator and had no warning before or during the cruise.  We don't really enjoy Nassau but since some of our group had never been so we got off and did some touring.  No one was overly aggressive.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 10:14 PM, SakeDad said:

Yep....Just like RCI to issue a warning and then always (usually) include it as a caribbean port stop or as an alternate when they can or need to.

On 12/27/2018 at 5:39 AM, FLACRUISER99 said:

Sorry but Nassau is one of my favorite ports. It's not dangerous at all if you use your brain.

I agree.  Been there 5 times.  I don't feel threatened at all (other than the constant badgering from locals to buy something or take a ride somewhere).   I have been offered weed the last 2 times I've been there. I must put off that type of vibe?...  ;0

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FionaLouise said:

I have just booked an excursion to blue lagoon in Nassau and now I'm slightly concerned. How far from the ship is the little boat to board to go to the blue lagoon beach and is it safe there? 

Thanks in advance. 

The boat to catch for Blue Lagoon is still in the gated area at the port. At the end of the cruise, that boat drops you off right near the gated entrance as you'll have to go through Security. That area is safe and you'll be fine, no need to worry as we've taken this excursion before.
Another nice excursion that we Iiked a little bit better was Pearl Island as they only take allow approx. 200 people on Pearl Island whereas on Blue Lagoon, they are hundreds and hundreds of people for that excursion. I tbooked the Blue Lagoon VIP excursion, which has 2 separate areas from the regular Blue Lagoon excursion for the beach and the VIP also gave you an upgraded lunch. Here's a few pictures from both excursions. If Pearl Island was booked, I would go back to Blue Lagoon.

Blue Lagoon
Edited by Life is Good Cruising

15 minutes ago, Life is Good Cruising said:
The boat to catch for Blue Lagoon is still in the gated area at the port. At the end of the cruise, that boat drops you off right near the gated entrance as you'll have to go through Security. That area is safe and you'll be fine, no need to worry as we've taken this excursion before.
Another nice excursion that we Iiked a little bit better was Pearl Island as they only take allow approx. 200 people on Pearl Island whereas on Blue Lagoon, they are hundreds and hundreds of people for that excursion. I tbooked the Blue Lagoon VIP excursion, which has 2 separate areas from the regular Blue Lagoon excursion for the beach and the VIP also gave you an upgraded lunch. Here's a few pictures from both excursions. If Pearl Island was booked, I would go back to Blue Lagoon.

Blue Lagoon

Thank you so much for your reply and putting my mind at rest. I am a terrible traveller haha. 

Lovely pictures also.