Drinks Package

marchi79

Hiya

Im trying to get peoples views on whether its worth getting a drinks package or not. We have an upcoming cruise from Singapore in March 19 for 7 days for my husbands 60th celebrations.  I didn't realise there is a service charge on top of the daily charge for the package. We like to have a few cocktails and a couple of wines but do love our nice coffee, water and juices everyday. My husband is trying to cut corners to save but I want him to enjoy his time on board for this celebration . Really not sure what to do and what would more affordable. Thanks

As you are on RCI, buy the Deluxe Beverage Package and then watch your Cruise Planner like a hawk -- honestly, more than once a day is not too often (as long as it doesn't badly affect your quality of life, don't let it get to that!).

RCI does what is called "dynamic pricing" and they change prices of the add-ons almost capriciously. I'm sure there is a computer (or maybe a bean-counter) applying algorithms, but the point is, you can EASILY cancel a purchase and book the lower price when you see it. 

I bought the DBP with Surf-n-Stream three times in a day last October. I think they were trying out their Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials! because I got a price I'd never seen on the combination (quite a bit better than separate, even than two DBPs and the SnS for two devices which is what I cancelled). Then it went back up until I did see that price again on Cyber Monday.

Buy it now, even if the price seems too high; it may go up! OTOH, if it stays too high, you can always cancel a few days before you sail.

FWIW, we LOVED having the DBP for all the reasons you mentioned!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

i think its the way to go. i think buying as you go along will add up to a lot more. thankyou for your response I will an eye out for what you said. Im sure the beverage package was a blot cheaper when we first  booked

Just now, marchi79 said:

Im sure the beverage package was a blot cheaper when we first  booked

Not necessarily (don't be kicking yourself) -- it's that 'dynamic' thing. What it means is, if a thing isn't selling well, they will mark it down. Also the prices are not the same ship to ship! Very strange, but I hope it works out for you!

The great price I booked was October and the cruise it was on was in December, so you have about as much time to be getting a deal as I had.

On the 1 sea day I had 2 $12 cocktails and 2 $8 beers any more than than that it would have made sense to have the drink package.  Wine is $15 so your couple of cocktails and couple glasses of wine would be $54. Add some juice and coffee and you should get the package. 

While it’s not hard to get your moneys worth with the drink package you are consuming a lot of calories.

It’s nice to get a drink in port occasionally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

if a thing isn't selling well, they will mark it down. 

While this is true everywhere, advising people to purchase it at any price and watch for a sale is counter productive. If everyone did this there would never be a sale.  Everyone should just wait for a price that they are willing to pay and then make the purchase and continue to monitor the price.  

Comparing prices with other cruise lines anything below $50 is a bargain. Also the percent off price that you see in the cruise planner is based on the onboard price which changes more than the Dow Jones. On the same day they offered me a 20% off on board price for $52 and a 30% off on board pricing for the same $52 pricing. This is why it's important to watch the cruise planner so you can get an idea of daily prices.

Also consider your itinerary. On a port intensive, heavy excursion itinerary you may not be on the ship much or just too tired at night to make use of the drink package.  

• Like 1

FYI...that service change is the 18% gratuity they charge when buying a drink, just rolled into the package.  

A couple of of weeks ago they had a 30% off sale, and I hit our drink packages for $46 a day.  Keep checking.  

• Like 1

OP.....you are looking at it the right way.      It’s more than just the alcoholic beverages.    A bottle of water runs $250-$3.00.    Fresh squeezed juice and specialty coffees cost extra too.     When you think of it all, if you are close to the Deluxe package price, in my view, it’s worth buying.    And you pay the 18% gratuity one way or the other so it shouldn’t swing the calculation. 

Even if its a couple bucks a day in question, the peace of mind of not having to worry about how much you’re spending on drinks has value.      For my wife and I it makes sense.   For others, not so much.  Look at your situation and you’ll make the right choice I’m sure.  

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 1

It depends what you are looking for. If both of you are going to have cocktails, wines, juices, coffees, bottled water, etc every day, it might make sense for you. 

If you are wanting to cut costs, would spending half as much by buying things a la carte and cut non-essentials make it a worse vacation? 

Do the math and see what works for you. For me, it is a waste. 

• Like 1

For us, it's hard to place a dollar sign on the peace of mind that comes with knowing everything is already paid for.  We have done the math post-cruise and found that we about break even in cost, but the thought-free vacation is priceless! YMMV

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Abd213 said:

I was reading the package info and it also mentioned that it comes with the Freestyle Soda Cup and drinks.  Can anyone confirm if this is true on the Allure?

Thanks!

True on all sailings.    You get a soda cup.    On ships with Freestyle machines they're embedded with an RFID chip to make the machines work for that week.

• Like 1