low carb drink options

bebe08

I've been doing low carb for a few months and am hoping not to stray to far off the path for our upcoming cruise.  This will be my first "low carb" cruise.  Does anyone know if there are low carb coolers available?  Nutrl is currently a popular one here - vodka, soda water and lemon or lime and has zero carbs.  Also other than diet pop which contains aspartame, what are the low carb non-alcohol drink options?  I have a sodastream and make my own at home (grapefruit one is excellent and is also good to mix with wine as a spritzer) but not planning on bringing it with me lol.   First world problem I know, but just wondering if there are any other low carb or keto cruisers that have some experience with this.  

It depends on what you enjoy. Stay away from tonic water, but there are others (seltzer, Club soda) that are fine. My go to drink is whiskey diet Coke/water and I also like a dirty martini, so that isn't a problem. BUT, I also like good beer. And as you know those a very carby.
I think you will do fine and I'm sure you will have a great time. And congrats at working so hard at your lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...

Vodka, gin or tequila with club soda are your best options. Tonic has a ton of carbs. You can do a vodka soda, gin and soda, martini, tequila with club soda and a lime or dry sparking wine. If it' a mixer or sweetener that is premixed or premade, avoid it. Whiskey (although it does have a tiny amount of carbs) with heavy cream and a shot of espresso is a decent after dinner. If you don't like plain club soda, your options become very limited.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:27 AM, bebe08 said:

Also other than diet pop which contains aspartame, what are the low carb non-alcohol drink options? 

I drink Jack Daniels and Diet Coke...

There is NOTHING wrong with Aspartame...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html

Unfortunately, the whole "Aspartame is bad for you" thing perpetuates itself.  A lot of people just buy into it...They read it or heard it somewhere, so it must be true.  Well, it's not...Go ahead and enjoy the many low sugar, low carb, low calorie drinks and foods you can have with Aspartame...

• Like 2

Thanks for the links on aspartame....definitely enlightening.

I gave it up about 3 years ago due to pressure from family members that it was bad for me.  I've since used natural products such as stevia and Erythiritol . 

I think the key is everything in moderation, and I won't feel guilty about having a few diet drinks with aspartame 🙂 

Vodka and diet sprite, or vodka and club soda with lemon or lime sound like excellent options 🙂  

Also glad to hear I can get Vitamin water zero as a good non-alcoholic option.

Cheers!!

2 hours ago, bebe08 said:

I gave it up about 3 years ago due to pressure from family members that it was bad for me.  I've since used natural products such as stevia and Erythiritol . 

I think the key is everything in moderation, and I won't feel guilty about having a few diet drinks with aspartame 🙂 

Vodka and diet sprite, or vodka and club soda with lemon or lime sound like excellent options 🙂  

Cheers!!

If you are trying to stay keto... any alcohol will kick you out

If you will consume alcohol-- things like dry sparkling, vodka are better bets than a beer which will wreck your macros

Stay away from sodas 

You can get sparkling water 

You can always pick back up being strict when you get home  Good luck BTDT 🍹

Not worried about Keto ...just want to stick to low carb as much as possible. I stay under 40 net carbs and its really worked for me.   I've been doing this woe off and on for 9 months, and have been fairly strict for last 4 months.  I actually found when I strayed over Christmas by having a few sweets that the sugar made my heart race. I feel much healthier when I stick to low carb.   I still allow myself to have a glass of wine when I want as there are only 3 grams of net carbs.  

On 1/18/2019 at 4:28 PM, Fogfog said:

If you are trying to stay keto... any alcohol will kick you out

If you will consume alcohol-- things like dry sparkling, vodka are better bets than a beer which will wreck your macros

Stay away from sodas 

You can get sparkling water 

You can always pick back up being strict when you get home  Good luck BTDT 🍹

On 1/18/2019 at 4:33 PM, ALANG said:

This always works for me!!!!!!!!!

On 1/19/2019 at 5:42 AM, bebe08 said:

Not worried about Keto ...just want to stick to low carb as much as possible. I stay under 40 net carbs and its really worked for me.   I've been doing this woe off and on for 9 months, and have been fairly strict for last 4 months.  I actually found when I strayed over Christmas by having a few sweets that the sugar made my heart race. I feel much healthier when I stick to low carb.   I still allow myself to have a glass of wine when I want as there are only 3 grams of net carbs.  

I agree - I don't try to stay in Keto on cruises - just stay with IF & EF (intermittent & extended fasting) and LCHF as much as possible - BUT that being said - I had a glass of wine last night and it did NOT throw me out of Keto!  We are all different! 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I do enjoy the occasional Mo-jito while cruising. Now that I've gone keto, my plan is to order a Mo-jito at Bolero's, and ask the bartender not to use the simple syrup (sugar water). I'll ask for Club Soda only, along with the rum, mint and lime. Next I'll squirt some liquid Stevia in the glass to take the place of the missing syrup. I hope this works... then I'll have a Keto-jito.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:40 PM, bebe08 said:

Cheers!!

Diabetes Forecast magazine has a 4 page spread on drinking with diabetes in the Mar/Apr edition.  They have a review of various common drinks and their carb content. (Lots of diabetics think they have to give up alcohol but that is not entirely true. Like many things, it depends....) Worth looking at if you have worked this hard at it, even if you don't have a blood sugar issue.

Aspartame is my friend, but it triggers my wife's atrial fib. Odd, but true. 

1 hour ago, marton2 said:

I do enjoy the occasional Mo-jito while cruising. Now that I've gone keto, my plan is to order a Mo-jito at Bolero's, and ask the bartender not to use the simple syrup (sugar water). I'll ask for Club Soda only, along with the rum, mint and lime. Next I'll squirt some liquid Stevia in the glass to take the place of the missing syrup. I hope this works... then I'll have a Keto-jito.

I have been drinking what my sister and I call Faux-hito's on Celebrity for a long time.  I ask for the mint, lime, rum and then just top it with diet sprite.  No simple syrup. Tastes great with no sugar or syrup.  I was just in Jamaica and they don't have diet sprite so I always bring one of those little squirt bottles of skinny girl stevia and have my "mojito" topped with water and give a squirt of that for sweetness.  I also bring a berry pomegranate concentrated juice squirter like  Crystal light or other brands and squirt that in the water with the mint, lime and rum and call it a pomegranate mojito.    Then of course there is also my spiced rum and coke zero with lime.  I love those too.   I just keep these little squirt bottles in my beach bag which I have with me on deck all the time anyway.  The bartenders have been great about making drinks however I ask. 

Actually, some of the bars offer diet tonic that has no carbs. It can be hard to find, but vodka or gin and diet tonic is another choice. They also have Zero vitamin water in orange and lemonade at the pool bar which is a low carb option. Enjoy!

I don't drink any sweetened drink including juices,  or any drink with artificial sweetners. I do drink black coffee, unsweetened iced tea w/lemon and water.  Dry wines are okay for LCHF in moderation as are unsweetened liquor. Fortunately I'm a scotch/bourbon on the rocks guy so that's all I drink.