Excursions & Safety in ports

MrRileyD

Hi all,

Going on a Mexico Riviera cruise with Carnival Splendor. Curious about people's opinions on securing excursions and safety in the ports.

We are going to the following ports:

Cabo San Lucas

Puerto Vallarta

Mazatlan

Are these ports safe to adventure alone with a family? Would it be preferable to book excursions instead of going at it on our own?

All help appreciated!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you look down the board, there are regular and frequent discussions about Mexican port safety. Note that the cruise lines will not put their pax in danger zones. 

Additionally, every port you mention is frequently discussed here for options of activities. Some a ship's excursion might be a better idea, others can easily be done on your own. It can also depend on exactly what you are interested in doing.

Generally Mexico is no more dangerous than any large city. The headline news violence is almost never involving tourists or tourist areas. When this becomes an issue, the cruise lines quit going to that port. For example, Acapulco is not a port on your cruise for that reason. We have been to all three of your ports many times, and on land vacations. In fact, we will be in Cabo on a land vacation in March.

• Like 1

We have done these ports on multiple cruises as well as land based trips.  Like travel anywhere a little common sense is a big safety factor. Huge numbers of your fellow countrymen, especially from the frigid middle, winter over along the Mexican Riviera and it often appears like all of Canada is in Mexico in January and February.

How to book will really depend on what you want to see and do.

6 hours ago, wheezedr said:

We have done these ports on multiple cruises as well as land based trips.  Like travel anywhere a little common sense is a big safety factor. Huge numbers of your fellow countrymen, especially from the frigid middle, winter over along the Mexican Riviera and it often appears like all of Canada is in Mexico in January and February.

How to book will really depend on what you want to see and do.

And huge numbers of Canadians are in Hawaii, and the Caribbean in the winter...they all want to escape the cold!! :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:🤣

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

And huge numbers of Canadians are in Hawaii, and the Caribbean in the winter...they all want to escape the cold!! :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:🤣

Can you fault them.  My DW spent a few formative years in Calgary.  Let’s just say we never visit the relatives in Winter.

Whether you need a formal tour or not depends on what you r family wants to do.

I would not go on a jungle zip-line adventure on my own.  Nor on some kind of sailing or scuba adventure.  It is probably ok to do it, but I would worry about the taxi/boat breaking down and stranding us in the middle of nowhere, making us late for the ship's sailing.  Just paranoia on my part, but I'd pay the extra to be part of the ship's excursion, where the ship has to wait in the very unlikely event of trouble!

But for a city tour, I'd hire a van and driver at the port and pay for a two hour tour.  Or, for example in Mazatlán, I'd hire a golf cart to take us to the Cathedral.  I'd then explore the Cathedral and the Market, and hire another golf cart to go to Zona Dorado.  Then, after exploring there, a third golf cart back to the ship.

I'd use the ship's excursions only for things I'd worry about a breakdown far from help.  A cab breaks down on the usual route to the Malecon, there will be another cab available to rescue you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Just paranoia on my part, but I'd pay the extra to be part of the ship's excursion, where the ship has to wait in the very unlikely event of trouble!

Not sure where this idea comes from that the ship has to wait for you, if you are on a ship's excursion. It doesn't. In most cases it will, but there are situations (tidal conditions, for example) where it won't. 

On 12/30/2018 at 1:40 PM, MrRileyD said:

Hi all,

Going on a Mexico Riviera cruise with Carnival Splendor. Curious about people's opinions on securing excursions and safety in the ports.

Cabo San Lucas

Puerto Vallarta

Mazatlan

Are these ports safe to adventure alone with a family? Would it be preferable to book excursions instead of going at it on our own?

All help appreciated!

Speaking for Puerto Vallarta . . .  We have just returned from a month long land vacation in Vallarta (our 19th year). We stay at the Sheraton which is a 15 minute walk north of El Centro.  We walk everywhere, at all hours, and use public transportation quite often.

Safety: Renting an ATV or dune buggy and heading into the hills, on your own, is not recommended. Wandering the city on your own doesn't present a real danger. Your greatest hazard is the surface you walk on. Sidewalks are often cracked and uneven. Covers to utility service valves are occasionally missing. Curb heights can be quite high and street surfaces uneven (cobblestone).  Cell phone "zombies" blindly plod along and create a moving hazard.

Beyond this, Vallarta offers opportunities that never grow old and can be enjoyed on your own. Some must be booked through the ship due to contract obligation between the tour providers and the cruise industry. Virtually all excursions offered by Vallarta Adventures must be booked through the ship if you are a cruise ship passenger.  I believe the popular pirate ship excursion is also a ship-booked activity.  Beyond that, just about anything that you can think of can be booked or done on your own.

I believe Splendor stays in Vallarta overnight and this will offer you opportunities that most cruisers can't experience. Vallarta is a foodies paradise but most of the city's good restaurants don't open until 6 PM.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

On 12/30/2018 at 11:50 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you look down the board, there are regular and frequent discussions about Mexican port safety. Note that the cruise lines will not put their pax in danger zones. 

Additionally, every port you mention is frequently discussed here for options of activities. Some a ship's excursion might be a better idea, others can easily be done on your own. It can also depend on exactly what you are interested in doing.

Generally Mexico is no more dangerous than any large city. The headline news violence is almost never involving tourists or tourist areas. When this becomes an issue, the cruise lines quit going to that port. For example, Acapulco is not a port on your cruise for that reason. We have been to all three of your ports many times, and on land vacations. In fact, we will be in Cabo on a land vacation in March.

I agree with abut everything you say expect that Mexico is the just as dangerous as any large cities.  This just isn't true even if it is out of sight to the tourist community.  Mexicans themselves don't like to talk about their security challenges with tourists as they don't want to scare off their paycheck.

3 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I agree with abut everything you say expect that Mexico is the just as dangerous as any large cities.  This just isn't true even if it is out of sight to the tourist community.  Mexicans themselves don't like to talk about their security challenges with tourists as they don't want to scare off their paycheck.

Yoiu are comparing a country with cities!  Not all of Mexico is safe, but also not all of Mexico is unsafe! We have traveled a lot in Mexico and in many parts of this beautiful country without any problems. We soon  will again have a long winterstay of some  months in Puerto Vallarta as we do since some years . I drive our car here, (and I donot look mexican being dutch) we shop local, we eat in restaurants where only mexicans come, we walk the streets etc. Let me tell you PV is one of the safest places we have been. This as long as one doesnot drink too much, doesnot involve in drugs, leave valuables at home, you will enjoy this part of Mexico.

4 hours ago, Ine said:

Yoiu are comparing a country with cities!  Not all of Mexico is safe, but also not all of Mexico is unsafe! We have traveled a lot in Mexico and in many parts of this beautiful country without any problems. We soon  will again have a long winterstay of some  months in Puerto Vallarta as we do since some years . I drive our car here, (and I donot look mexican being dutch) we shop local, we eat in restaurants where only mexicans come, we walk the streets etc. Let me tell you PV is one of the safest places we have been. This as long as one doesnot drink too much, doesnot involve in drugs, leave valuables at home, you will enjoy this part of Mexico.

The person who I quoted made the original comparison of Mexico to large cities,  not me - "Generally Mexico is no more dangerous than any large city."  I merely referred to Mexico in the same manner as they did. 

I try to raise people's awareness of Mexico to see beyond the resorts and tourists zones to understand the plight of Mexicans and their lack of security and their poor governmental institutions for the many of their citizenry.  I have seen fist hand impact of insecurity on people's lives in Mexico including murder kidnapping, extortion, etc  and it is a tragedy.

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

The person who I quoted made the original comparison of Mexico to large cities,  not me - "Generally Mexico is no more dangerous than any large city."  I merely referred to Mexico in the same manner as they did. 

I try to raise people's awareness of Mexico to see beyond the resorts and tourists zones to understand the plight of Mexicans and their lack of security and their poor governmental institutions for the many of their citizenry.  I have seen fist hand impact of insecurity on people's lives in Mexico including murder kidnapping, extortion, etc  and it is a tragedy.

Since this board is for cruisers who are in various towns just for a few hours and often stay within a few miles from the ship they hardly ever or even never will be confronted with kidnapping, extortion etc.  Also those bad things most of the times are related to people within the drugs scene not to tourists.

Again I traveled through many parts in Mexico  over the years and never had any problem. Yes bad things can happen, but not just in Mexico!

For your information on January 2 there were 3 large cruiseships docked in Puerto Vallarta. Regal Princess, Eurodam and Carnival Splendor. They brought over 8000 passangers plus a lot of crew into town without any problem.

schepen pvr.jpg

Edited by Ine

1 hour ago, Ine said:

Since this board is for cruisers who are in various towns just for a few hours and often stay within a few miles from the ship they hardly ever or even never will be confronted with kidnapping, extortion etc. 

That is why I largely agreed with the person I quoted and only objected to his broad generalization as to the safety of Mexico.

1 hour ago, Ine said:

Again I traveled through many parts in Mexico  over the years and never had any problem. Yes bad things can happen, but not just in Mexico!

I am glad you have not had any personal problems.  Of course bad things happen everywhere, they are just much more likely to occur in places like Mexico with poor government, institutionalized corruption (going to be worse with AMLO) and rampant organized criminal gangs.

BTW - Did you see AMLO wants to create yet another "police" force of 50k to go after crime.  Pena Nieto tried the same with his "gendarmerie" idea with no success.

13 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

That is why I largely agreed with the person I quoted and only objected to his broad generalization as to the safety of Mexico.

I am glad you have not had any personal problems.  Of course bad things happen everywhere, they are just much more likely to occur in places like Mexico with poor government, institutionalized corruption (going to be worse with AMLO) and rampant organized criminal gangs.

BTW - Did you see AMLO wants to create yet another "police" force of 50k to go after crime.  Pena Nieto tried the same with his "gendarmerie" idea with no success.

Let us wait/see what AMLO can do with what he promised. In the past he did a rather good job in Mexico City, but there is a major difference between being in charge of a city or a country. It depends also how politicians, police etc. will work with or against him. Pena Nieto I think disappointed  because he was much involved with his rich friends and some corrupt politicians. Also maybe he didnot take enough action against the drugproblems. Major factor unfortunately is as long there is demand there will be supply.

Knowing the problems Colombia had in the past and is doing so much better now there still is hope for Mexico.

Anyway we are looking forward to our winterstay in Puerto Vallarta.

3 hours ago, Ine said:

For your information on January 2 there were 3 large cruiseships docked in Puerto Vallarta. Regal Princess, Eurodam and Carnival Splendor. They brought over 8000 passangers plus a lot of crew into town without any problem.

schepen pvr.jpg

Great picture! Although I image there was one problem that day....the lines in Wal-mart. 😂

On 1/3/2019 at 9:01 AM, Ine said:

Let us wait/see what AMLO can do with what he promised.

So far it seems he wants  to return to the ways of the past and become Mexico's newest "Caudillo."

Some signs -

1) cancel education reforms and trust the totally corrupt teacher's union

2) fake referendum to cancel the new airport

3) train to nowhere in the Yucatan

4) trying to rebuild the totally corrupt and bankrupt Pemex

5) the new police force which is 180 degrees away from what he said in the election

Lots of problems ahead -

New records of violence for us locally with over 2500 murders

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacion/noticias/1/28/accidentes/2018/12/31/1061335/crece-el-numero-de-homicidios-en-tijuana

New mayor in Oaxaca killed 2 hours after taking office

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/02/681536831/in-mexico-a-mayor-is-murdered-within-hours-of-taking-office

Only one of 175 politicians killed in the last year

Since he is in office for just 1 month one cannot expect any miracles whatever way, good or bad.  As I mentioned before there are places that are unsafe, but also places that are still safe. 

On 1/4/2019 at 11:35 PM, Ine said:

Since he is in office for just 1 month one cannot expect any miracles whatever way, good or bad.  As I mentioned before there are places that are unsafe, but also places that are still safe. 

So,  do you know where the Sinaloa drug cartel is active?  And  has it affected recent tourism in Cabo, P.V.,  Manzanillo, or Matzalan?  Those of the ports of call on Princess we will be calling on next week.  Im keeping my fingers crossed we won’t be caught in the middle of crossfire between rival drug cartels.

I recently read this in a report from 2017:

“Though violence around Los Cabos has largely avoided tourist areas, they have not totally been spared. During the first weekend of August, at least five gunmen attacked a group on a beach, killing three men, severely wounding a man and a woman, and forcing authorities to evacuate the beach, which was crowded with tourists.” 

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 1/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, mkcurran said:

Great picture! Although I image there was one problem that day....the lines in Wal-mart. 😂

On 1/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, Ine said:

schepen pvr.jpg

Are they all through with the construction around pier 1?

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

So,  do you know where the Sinaloa drug cartel is active?  And  has it affected recent tourism in Cabo, P.V.,  Manzanillo, or Matzalan?  Those of the ports of call on Princess we will be calling on next week.  Im keeping my fingers crossed we won’t be caught in the middle of crossfire between rival drug cartels.

I recently read this in a report from 2017:

“Though violence around Los Cabos has largely avoided tourist areas, they have not totally been spared. During the first weekend of August, at least five gunmen attacked a group on a beach, killing three men, severely wounding a man and a woman, and forcing authorities to evacuate the beach, which was crowded with tourists.” 

As far as I know it was 1 one time incident. Cruiselines sail at Cabo as before and I havenot heard from any recent problems.

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

2 hours ago, Rosefloater said:

Are they all through with the construction around pier 1?

As far as I know it is partly ready, but the plan like making an aquarium not. I am not yet in Vallarta, but will know more in about 10 days.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:40 AM, MrRileyD said:

Hi all,

Cabo San Lucas

Puerto Vallarta

Mazatlan

All help appreciated!

You might want to check this out.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-mexico-to-avoid-at-all-costs.html/

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

BTW, next cruise on Princess,  Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Manzatlan, and Manzanillo, are scheduled ports of call.   Many posters on this thread said not to worry.  So I’m not.   :classic_dry::classic_dry:

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947