MSC seaside

mutuelmanager1

39 minutes ago, mutuelmanager1 said:

Thank you do you know if he will be master in early feb. 2, have a great weekend

I'm not sure, but he was the Capt for our sailing last week. Hopefully someone else will know the answer!

I don't understand wanting to know who the Captain is/was. We'be been on 46 cruises and the only Captain's name that i know is Captain Johnny, on RCL's Allure of the Seas. The only reason I know that is he rode his Harley motorcycle around the Promenade deck during the Halloween festivities that night a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I don't understand wanting to know who the Captain is/was. We'be been on 46 cruises and the only Captain's name that i know is Captain Johnny, on RCL's Allure of the Seas. The only reason I know that is he rode his Harley motorcycle around the Promenade deck during the Halloween festivities that night a couple of years ago.

Been on 20 and you know one more name than me.   I think some people on CC like to name drop and it probably makes them feel like they are more informed.  To each their own I guess.   Hope the OP gets the answer to who the El Capitan is.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

Been on 20 and you know one more name than me.   I think some people on CC like to name drop and it probably makes them feel like they are more informed.  To each their own I guess.   Hope the OP gets the answer to who the El Capitan is.

Of course, nobody is required to know the Captain's name...or the name of any other crew member for that matter. However, there is nothing to be gained by bemoaning the fact that some people just might want to know.

All those cruises without knowing who was in charge of the entire ship. Can't you see that there is a possibility...even a small possibility...that by NOT knowing, you have missed out? You'd have to agree that there must be a reason that people want to know...maybe, just maybe, you could also benefit from that information.

If you don't know "why", then why not try to learn it and see what (if any) difference it might make? You could just find out what you've been missing.

The old "don't knock it until you've tried it" comes to mind. Has to be better than playing the part of Aesop's Fox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Of course, nobody is required to know the Captain's name...or the name of any other crew member for that matter. However, there is nothing to be gained by bemoaning the fact that some people just might want to know.

All those cruises without knowing who was in charge of the entire ship. Can't you see that there is a possibility...even a small possibility...that by NOT knowing, you have missed out? You'd have to agree that there must be a reason that people want to know...maybe, just maybe, you could also benefit from that information.

If you don't know "why", then why not try to learn it and see what (if any) difference it might make? You could just find out what you've been missing.

The old "don't knock it until you've tried it" comes to mind. Has to be better than playing the part of Aesop's Fox.

As I said to each their own.  

Edited by Nymich

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Totally agree.

I, also, have frequently wondered why cruisers would want to know who would be the captain on their upcoming cruise. However, before I would post this opinion, l would hesitate and realise that it is rude to post such a comment. Many cruisers like engage with crew more than l do and, often, the captain's personality can enhance the cruise experience. I recall happening on a Q&A being hosted by a captain on an early cruise(l think RCCL or NCL) and it was very entertaining. On another, the captain's witty announcements were very entertaining. Who am l to disparage another cruiser's desire to know the name of the captain of the ship! Respect for all fellow cruisers trumps snarky every time. Ken

• Like 1

There seems to be a few thin skinned people out there. I didn't flame them I just said I didn't understand why they wanted the name of the captain. It was just trying to understand if there was a reason I couldn't think of. Maybe, if someone would explain, I too would be interested in knowing the name.

6 hours ago, CruiseIreland said:

I, also, have frequently wondered why cruisers would want to know who would be the captain on their upcoming cruise. However, before I would post this opinion, l would hesitate and realise that it is rude to post such a comment. Many cruisers like engage with crew more than l do and, often, the captain's personality can enhance the cruise experience. I recall happening on a Q&A being hosted by a captain on an early cruise(l think RCCL or NCL) and it was very entertaining. On another, the captain's witty announcements were very entertaining. Who am l to disparage another cruiser's desire to know the name of the captain of the ship! Respect for all fellow cruisers trumps snarky every time. Ken

Exactly!

A lot of people make similar snarky comments when it comes to the cruise director. I had the pleasure of cruising three times with Pedro on NCL and meeting his lovely wife who was once a member of his staff. In fact he told us when his family was cruising and said it would be great if we could cruise the same week and we could catch up.  

They are just people.  Sometimes you click with certain people even if it is just a casual acquantance and  you like seeing a friendly face.     Another case in point, Brian Walters with NCL, the hotel director on the Sun. We had dinner with him and found him very engaging and interesting. We weren't best buds but it would be great to see him again just to say hi.   And our butler, Maxi on the Epic, well I just wanted to take him home with me.  Best butler ever!

Edited by DMH15
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CruiseIreland said:

... often, the captain's personality can enhance the cruise experience.

From our experience, the crews' attitudes can be very influenced by the captain onboard.  For that reason, I'm delighted to know that Captain Scala is currently on Armonia and am looking forward to meeting him in 2 weeks time.  (I don't normally pay any heed to who the Captain is on the ship but we've met a few not-too-pleasant types;  some of the crew would agree with our assessment when we asked them for their opinion).

• Like 1

The Executive Chef is another important 'Stripe' who will have a major impact on your cruise.  A few years ago we sailed on Coral Princess twice within a few months, and the food was dramatically better the second time – because the Executive Chef had changed.

• Like 1