Taking 2.5 year old on NCL ? Thoughts/tips/advice

jessvee

6 hours ago, TrpngBilly said:

NCL now offers the Guppies program for children under 3.  It is not identical to the other age groups in Splash Academy but it is an option not previously available to families.  Programs vary by ship so I would research the Splash Academy info for any NCL ship you're considering.

Only the Escape has a nursery for the under 3 crowd, OP is sailing on the Breakaway.

8 hours ago, BNBR said:

I should have clarified better.  Yes, Escape has a nursery, as do the Royal Caribbean ships for children under 3 and non-potty trained children.  The NCL nursery is an extra charge and it's just a nursery, not camp.  On Carnival, it's fully included, it's available virtually all day/evening, and it's a full camp with 2 - 5 year olds - all sorts of activities and camp stuff accordingly.  They will also change diapers and not just call the parent.  If you have a child that is 2 years old (or even 3+ and not potty trained) - then Carnival is by far the best for day care/camp.

All of the major lines have "options" and if a single time block or two is all that's needed, the nursery might be fine.  But I know my 2.5 year old massively enjoyed Camp Carnival and when we sailed Royal a few months later, we had to use the nursery and he hated it because it wasn't camp, it was just baby sitting, basically - with babies trying to sleep.  NCL would be similar.

We will have to check that out next time. Honestly we won't be using the nursery that much, maybe once or twice. This is a family cruise, where we all want to make memories together and celebrate life 🙂 

I sailed to Bermuda 4 years ago on the Dawn with a 2.5 year old.   The kid will have a blast and you will have a blast, with or without being potty trained.   You're on vacation after all.   That being said, you will have no time for yourself, since you need to be with the LO 24/7.  so long as you know that the vacation choices will be made for the kid, you'll have a blast.  Plus the staff love little kids. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, BNBR said:

I should have clarified better.  Yes, Escape has a nursery, as do the Royal Caribbean ships for children under 3 and non-potty trained children.  The NCL nursery is an extra charge and it's just a nursery, not camp.  On Carnival, it's fully included, it's available virtually all day/evening, and it's a full camp with 2 - 5 year olds - all sorts of activities and camp stuff accordingly.  They will also change diapers and not just call the parent.  If you have a child that is 2 years old (or even 3+ and not potty trained) - then Carnival is by far the best for day care/camp.

All of the major lines have "options" and if a single time block or two is all that's needed, the nursery might be fine.  But I know my 2.5 year old massively enjoyed Camp Carnival and when we sailed Royal a few months later, we had to use the nursery and he hated it because it wasn't camp, it was just baby sitting, basically - with babies trying to sleep.  NCL would be similar.

As long as there is even a baby sitting location I think everything would work out Toddlers can always find something to keep them occupied. My concern would still be and I don't care what ship you are on is making sure they can enjoy times spent in restaurants without getting too bored, as well and mom and dad realizing little ones are not always ready for things like the shows. There is no getting around it, sailing is more confining for a toddler than some vacations. Otherwise, as long as there is baby sitting everything should be fine Our great grand daughter started cruising at 3. She loved it. Would her parents had taken her on a cruise before that? Nope.. They are just happy their youngest has turned 3. Now they can cruise with all 3 girls 

• Like 1

Sorry, did a family cruise with my Daughter's family and my Granddaughter was about that age.  It was nearly a disaster.  Meals with the whole family (12 people) were not pretty.   My Granddaughter is wonderful 12 now, but when she was a terrible 2, she just ruined dining.   I think it depends on the child.  I wish you lots of luck and a nice cruise.

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Sorry, did a family cruise with my Daughter's family and my Granddaughter was about that age.  It was nearly a disaster.  Meals with the whole family (12 people) were not pretty.   My Granddaughter is wonderful 12 now, but when she was a terrible 2, she just ruined dining.   I think it depends on the child.  I wish you lots of luck and a nice cruise.

maybe, you simply didn't have a tablet with cartoons 10 years ago? works wonders for my kid in MDR.

• Like 1

My daughter has been on 6 NCL cruises since she was 10 months old. We always had a great time! Before she was potty trained we always brought a little blow up "pool" with us so she could a) use them for baths as we did not have a tub and b) splash around in it on our balcony or pool deck. 

Naps we also kept structured and took turns, it was actually great because on your off day, we had 2-3 hours all to yourself! Adult time 🙂 The staff on NCL is so good with kids, they love them in the dining rooms. She really wasn't a fussy kid at all so never was noisy or anything, but if she would have been we just would have taken her out and walked her around. 

It is what you make of it, but I always said kids should experience travel too! It is better than staying home!! 

Edited by kkelle17
  • Like 1

When my son was 2 he was a little hesitant to go into the guppies at first but he got used to it after a night.  Also,  He spent a lot of the day in the pools and wore him self out.  We would lay him down on chair on the pool deck, cover him up with a towel and he would nap right there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

maybe, you simply didn't have a tablet with cartoons 10 years ago? works wonders for my kid in MDR.

Our cruise was 9 years ago and almost no one used cell phones or tablets on the ship, since the potential for being hit by huge fees was a problem.

That might work today, buy my granddaughter was very hyper and probably spoiled and it was unmanageable.  As Grandpa, I had no say in how to handle the situation.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:53 AM, cdnsteelman said:

You know your child best and I strongly suggest you trust your instincts.

Spot on. If it were me, I'd totally go, but it really depends on the kid, and you know them the best.

When you're traveling with toddlers, you're always going to have to take an educated guess and roll the dice a little bit. If you think she'd be unhappy and miserable, then stay home, but if you think she'd be good and enjoy it, go for it.

Our daughter (currently 1 year 2 months) went on a cruise when she was 6 months old, and she was good as gold. We bid on a suite to get more space, and it was well worth it for her to have a separate bedroom to sleep in. The crew was wonderful with her, and she loved the people watching. One of us had to stay in the room after she went to bed, but with the extra space (and a butler to bring us meals), it was absolutely fine. We had a great vacation.

Now...our next cruise will be in less than 2 months. She is mobile now, and although she's super agreeable and even-tempered, she is super-different than she was at 6 months. Maybe it'll be a nightmare, but I think she'll be fine. It's not the same as the cruises that my wife and I took before she was born, but hey, I will gladly take a week when someone else cooks and cleans, and we can just concentrate on relaxing.

I'd definitely recommend at least a balcony cabin so you have a place to go when she's napping. I'd think that if you have family onboard that might be able to help out -- maybe watch her while you get dinner -- that'd be great as well.

Know thy kid, and make a decision accordingly. Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

It is very important to remember what works for one may not work for another. I have seen toddler doing very well on cruises, but have talked to parents who have mentioned, even with grandma to help they would never do it again. I have seen kids sit for hours in specialty dining rooms entertaining themselves. I have also seen kids falling asleep in restaurants as well as ones who have to be taken out every few minutes because they can't sit still. this is specially true in the specialty dining rooms. Same with the shows, I have seen more parents getting up and leaving than staying when the kids are under a certain age. There are also the kids that drive other crazy but the parents don't seem to realize this. So, I am glad it worked so well for you and your toddler was very well behaved but it is still a 50/50 gamble and everyone has to think of the child, the parent his/her self and the other passengers.  

10 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

As long as there is even a baby sitting location I think everything would work out Toddlers can always find something to keep them occupied. My concern would still be and I don't care what ship you are on is making sure they can enjoy times spent in restaurants without getting too bored, as well and mom and dad realizing little ones are not always ready for things like the shows. There is no getting around it, sailing is more confining for a toddler than some vacations. Otherwise, as long as there is baby sitting everything should be fine Our great grand daughter started cruising at 3. She loved it. Would her parents had taken her on a cruise before that? Nope.. They are just happy their youngest has turned 3. Now they can cruise with all 3 girls 

Good points. For us we are the grandparents so we will make sure that everyone has some rest time, we are giving the parents 4 date nights where the children will sleep in our connecting mini suite. As the grandparents we are just looking forward to spending 15 days with our beautiful grand babies. Hopefully mom and dad will have an awesome relaxing well deserved vacation 🌴🌴

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cathi007 said:

Good points. For us we are the grandparents so we will make sure that everyone has some rest time, we are giving the parents 4 date nights where the children will sleep in our connecting mini suite. As the grandparents we are just looking forward to spending 15 days with our beautiful grand babies. Hopefully mom and dad will have an awesome relaxing well deserved vacation 🌴🌴

What are you doing in early March? Can you come with us too? 😄

• Haha 1

Well a group of us, 9 adults, 7 children, ranging in ages from 11 to 7 months are going to Alaska.  We're all in Aft H6 cabins.  I wonder about the reception we'll get in the Haven restaurant?  Grandparents of all the children will be along and we'll try to keep the kids occupied and not offensive to the other diners, but I can just imagine the raised eyebrows (and rightly so, we understand!!!) when our entourage walks in!  Oh my!!!  I think we may have to find other venues for meals if it becomes a problem.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

Well a group of us, 9 adults, 7 children, ranging in ages from 11 to 7 months are going to Alaska.  We're all in Aft H6 cabins.  I wonder about the reception we'll get in the Haven restaurant?  Grandparents of all the children will be along and we'll try to keep the kids occupied and not offensive to the other diners, but I can just imagine the raised eyebrows (and rightly so, we understand!!!) when our entourage walks in!  Oh my!!!  I think we may have to find other venues for meals if it becomes a problem.  

Especially to Alaska, I would imagine it is an older crowd. Oh well, I'm sure you will have a great time and the kids will behave 🙂

I am a mother of 4. I have cruised since my oldest was 6 months old. We have taken about 17 cruises since then. GO!!!! Do not let people discourage you.  Yes life with children is different but you will still have a good time. You will have to make adjustments to schedule, food Etc.. it will be ok.  Go make the memories with your family. You never know what curve balls life may through you.  Don't miss this opportunity because it may put you out of your comfort zone.  We traveled on NCL many times with the babies and they were great. We also traveled with them in the Haven at one point too everyone was just fine and very welcoming. However, Nothing beats Disney when you have kids. We have sailed Disney the last 9 cruises and did Alaska a few years ago. It was Amazing.

We are cruising on the Bliss this summer to Alaska again with all of them. Ages 6, 9, 12,13 now. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sargemrs said:

The Haven is not geared toward adults. They have several 2 bedroom family suites. I'm sure there will be several other children around. You should get nothing but a warm reception in the Haven restaurant. We are taking our 4 kids to Alaska this summer as well and staying  in the Haven with a few other families.  Have a wonderful time!!! Alaska is our new favorite! This will be our second time taking the kids to Alaska. 

I wonder about the reception we'll get in the Haven restaurant?

You'll get a warm reception from the staff. Many of the staff have children back home and are happy to see children guests. Don't be surprised if the staff dotes on the children all week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marley said:

The Haven is not geared toward adults. They have several 2 bedroom family suites. I'm sure there will be several other children around. You should get nothing but a warm reception in the Haven restaurant. We are taking our 4 kids to Alaska this summer as well and staying  in the Haven with a few other families.  Have a wonderful time!!! Alaska is our new favorite! This will be our second time taking the kids to Alaska. 

Agreed.  When I sailed Haven in February, the courtyard was completely overrun by little kids.  Snorkeling in the hot tubs, playing games in the pool, nowhere to sit, loud, obnoxious, and the restaurant wasn't terribly loud by still lots of kids too.

I would never sail the Haven again unless I was taking my kids with me.  Can't beat them.... join them.  So yeah, the last thing I would worry about when sailing the Haven is my kids offending people.  You'll fit right in!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sargemrs said:

Young children and infants are frequent Haven passengers.  The staff at all levels are experienced in their presence in the Haven and its restaurant. One great feature of the Haven is the close proximity of suites to the restaurant.  If the situation requires it, you are only minutes away from your suite.  In the past, our now 6-year old grandson would routinely fall asleep at the dinning room table.  We just moved the table away from the bulkhead (wall) and laid him down on the floor to sleep.  When we left we put him in a wheel chair and transported him to our suite.  Believe me the haven staff will almost certainly pamper your children.  The older kids will bond with other Haven kids and have a blast.  In that respect, you will need to monitor their behavior in the Haven pool area so they do not become unruly and disturb other passengers. 

6 hours ago, BNBR said:

Agreed.  When I sailed Haven in February, the courtyard was completely overrun by little kids.  Snorkeling in the hot tubs, playing games in the pool, nowhere to sit, loud, obnoxious, and the restaurant wasn't terribly loud by still lots of kids too.

I would never sail the Haven again unless I was taking my kids with me.  Can't beat them.... join them.  So yeah, the last thing I would worry about when sailing the Haven is my kids offending people.  You'll fit right in!

Oh my......now I AM worried!!!  I figured having a cruise before school is out wouldn't have too many kids.  Our grandchildren are home schooled so they'll be finished by then, (May) The other children are getting out early I guess.  Well, we WON'T let ours go, I can tell you that!!  But hopefully the crew will enjoy them, some.

10 hours ago, sargemrs said:

So long as everyone is a paying customer, who cares what anyone thinks.  Let them stare, you are all there (including the kids) to have fun, not be robots.   

Oh my......now I AM worried!!!  I figured having a cruise before school is out wouldn't have too many kids.  Our grandchildren are home schooled so they'll be finished by then, (May) The other children are getting out early I guess.  Well, we WON'T let ours go, I can tell you that!!  But hopefully the crew will enjoy them, some.

My cruise was in February, nowhere near spring break or summer or any other break. It only took a few families to overrun the Haven. It's such a small courtyard. 

But there are plenty of stories of it being quiet too. Seems hit or miss.  I don't like hit or miss with my vacations but others aren't bothered by it much.

Even my wife was trying to stay positive at first and saying I was being dramatic, lol... and she still ended up not wanting to be in the Haven because the kids were so loud she couldn't read and relax.  We ended up hardly even using it. We couldn't hardly talk to each other it was so loud.