Semi-limited Live: Escape to W. Caribbean 14 days Jan 6, 2019

mking8288

@graphicguy - looked like, IMO, you found a nice deal - if you can pin down a balcony @SailAway Rate, I would book it - then, you would've saved $$$ to take your best shots for Haven, although, not too many folks on our Roll Call, run by Arzeena, reported success (take a closer look, skim thru "posts" at our Roll Call)

We booked pretty late, the FAS things really don't matter to us so we started w. Inside (non-GTY) for the WiFi's 250 minutes (no 1GB by the bytes, unlike BA) but with careful metering, it has worked for me on last few 7 days sailing on BA & Gem over last 4 years - in PC/FL, it's home rate & GSC/Nassau - Google Fi 4G/LTE coverage, only need it for sea days to access satellite.  I would allocate 40-60 minutes daily, spread out to about 5 days (plus DW & I got 30 x 2 minutes being Platinum) so it worked out.  Pushing the limits on 14 days, but, I think we are fine - worst case, add 100 extra minutes I.C.E. with the "development" & need to post & get words out, etc.  Otherwise, saving money - if you can expense it, go for unlimited.  We can chat offline about strategies & options, etc.

The Upgrade Advantage scheme seemed changing, not going to get into it here - but, should get you positioned to move up - with the savings/price differential between SailAway & higher categories ... there really aren't bad locations for a balcony, and if you bidding up, definitely not a deal breaker to roll the dices.  Do the math, for those who "must" have UBP - it's a different Calculus.  

As for Yotel or what's best, see what your point options are, LGA is much improved these days, still not ideal but nicer with new gates opened, closest to gate, EWR is preferred by some over JFK ... a question of your air miles/affinity options.  Pack & travel light, we actually each took an expandable 22" rollerboard as my main piece, for 14 days, 2 free laundry  ... done deal.  If you aren't sure, post on East Coast Destination sub-forum, 138East/Carol is good with helping ... post as much particulars & details as you wish, she can suggest.   

Hang in there & I'll see what else might be helpful once we get home, hard to believed that we are nearly 2/3 done on 14 days.  More later.  

• Like 1

"Rainy Days and Mon(Tues)days get me down" ... singing/humming (Carpenters, around 1970)  okay, not a great day but it's where many would rather be, rain barely eased up so we didn't get off the gangway to go ashore.

Crew are getting ready to set sail, Capt. came on PA system a short while ago to reaffirm efforts & commitment to best practices, urge all to wash hands frequently, etc. No changes in plans or skipping next port, etc. 

Unless there is something important, posts will be minimal later this evening. Will be online in the morning once we get to next port, just 120 nm ...seas must be a bit choppy later. 

Another downpours started, lousy weather forecast.

Collage 2019-01-15 15_23_56.jpg

Collage 2019-01-15 16_30_15.jpg

Edited by mking8288

While I still got 4G LTE data, here are 40 + food pictures for those of you sailing soon, we get to enjoy all 14 days of MDR menu rotation. 

Menus will get uploaded next week.

Not responsible for food hunger attack. 

Collage 2019-01-15 16_59_42.jpg

Collage 2019-01-15 16_57_16.jpg

Collage 2019-01-15 16_51_13.jpg

Collage 2019-01-15 16_53_52.jpg

Collage 2019-01-15 16_52_12.jpg

Collage 2019-01-15 16_50_09.jpg

• Like 1

Henry

Thank you for all your work.  I was on the Escape Last month. Agree with  

everything you have to say.  I tried to have lunch in O'Sheans  everyday.  I will be aboard for the next two cruises.  Can you tell me if they have the complimentary dinner shows in the Supper Club?  Stay away from that virus and make should it disembarks in NYC on Jan 20.

• Like 1

Good morning, Hola ... ship had been cleared n folks going ashore, just asked everyone to sanitize both hands before stepping off & to report if ... Coming back from dinner, we could smell cabin's bathroom cleaned with bleach. Buffet users had to wash hands & wait 15 minutes after tables are cleaned before being allowed to sit down & use it. 

Book4U (and, BobBrown) did passed on message to AR & RJ when we saw them in the atrium, enjoyed the music by Golden Octaves nightly.

Will ask n see about COM replacing Brat Pack on next sailing, didn't look obvious, but ... Most if not all shows at SC are paid ones requiring booking, I will check again. IMHO, a little too much of comedy shows everywhere, some of the singers could be better - this is just my biased opinion, as we expect variety for 14 days.

Dexddd, absolutely correct about visibility yesterday n could see folks caught in the rain & easily get sick. There's a chill this morning w a breeze, about 70 degree, good weather for a stroll down shopping Main Street once we eat breakfast & get out.  

Later folks.  Google Fi coverage is just great for us on this sailing, don't need the unlimited WiFi plan on the ship.

15476459451633329280230598263574.jpg

Screenshot_20190116-084331.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

I hope some of the folks on these small & speed boats can swim or at least thread water to keep their heads above water, not wearing PFD thru choppy waters ... nothing directly related to NCL. Just a matter of personal water safety & traveling smartly.

Collage 2019-01-16 14_25_57.jpg

Collage 2019-01-16 14_25_13.jpg

VoIP calling at sea, over satellite WiFi, latest brief/Escape update ... YMMV for tech geeks only. Rest can skip this post.

Latest Android OS ... Nexus, Moto, LG and Fire HD8, WiFi calling over ship's basic (paid/free, except premium-unlimited) plans, VoIP calling over Google Voice/Hangouts did not work this time for us.  However, WiFi calling home & office with Ooma App did work and get thru. Will test out Skype, FaceTime and FB Messenger on our way back at sea.  Otherwise, all of the above work great over cellular or MiFi hotspot, and thanks to Google Fi, it's automatically VPN secured.

According to ship's WiFi data meter, speed vs. MB used is pretty decent & not exactly slow, even if it's cached & compressed.

Our out of pocket Google Fi roaming data charges in several foreign ports thus far, with 2 to 3 devices used, around $20 USD extra only.

Ship & local port time is about 3:07 pm or 15:07 - all abroad is less than 90 minutes, we sail home toward NY @ 17:00 ... checking the weather updates.

Screenshot_20190116-151241.png

Once we get underway this afternoon, posts & updates will be short & brief, essential info & alerts only, some of that 80 minutes will be set aside for emergency posts. 

Please feel free to bookmark & follow along, comment & leave questions, as I will answer & respond to them once we pick up home signals again closer to NY harbor, as we get near the VZ Bridge ... whenever we get in, probably earlier than scheduled. 

Crews have been doing lots of extra cleaning & scrubbing all over the ship, bleaching the restrooms & disinfecting the walls, railings & corridor panels.  They probably will need extra time this Sunday to do some more extra cleansing once everyone disembarked.

Edited by mking8288

A few thoughts n comments before we sail from Cozumel, as Ms. M relaxed out on our shaded balcony, done w coffee & cheesecake.

Our 6' USB extension cord from the bedside lamp is long enough to reach with the 3' OEM cable to her chair. I recommend getting a longer 10' one if you need to use the desk outlets, which has 3x 110 volts and 1 220 volts outlet, just get a simple round 2 pins adapter plug for dual voltage US devices.  Unlike the BA, there is no hidden accessible extra outlet behind the storage doors, under the TV, which had room for up to 6 eBags medium packing cubes, and more spaces for 3 tablets, 4 smartphones and a travel notebook/laptop, and assorted cables in another pouch.

CPAP user, I would bring a good 25' extension cord, just in case Guest Services run out of them.

The dual LED ? or halogen lights above the dresser/table at the mirror is slightly adjustable. Noticed our 3 LED usb-powered night-light, the tealight's battery ran out & not replacing it.

Lastly, this is going to be our subjective, biased n personal opinion, YMMV - it appeared some of the entrees are trending toward healthier eating & lighter in portion sizes and calories.  We liked the old Cooking Light series 😁 but if you enjoy a bigger portion, might wish to consider ordering an extra (free) serving to share with a table-mate. Please do not turn this comment into ... there are several ongoing ones already, take another look at our food pictures & decide for yourself.  We are on this cruise now and it is what it is, to us, as "critics".  The crews are excellent ! 

10 minutes to sailaway, appeared everyone is back onboard.

Collage 2019-01-16 16_26_53.jpg

A few thoughts n comments before we sail from Cozumel, as Ms. M relaxed out on our shaded balcony, done w coffee & cheesecake.

Our 6' USB extension cord from the bedside lamp is long enough to reach with the 3' OEM cable to her chair. I recommend getting a longer 10' one if you need to use the desk outlets, which has 3x 110 volts and 1 220 volts outlet, just get a simple round 2 pins adapter plug for dual voltage US devices.  Unlike the BA, there is no hidden accessible extra outlet behind the storage doors, under the TV, which had room for up to 6 eBags medium packing cubes, and more spaces for 3 tablets, 4 smartphones and a travel notebook/laptop, and assorted cables in another pouch.

CPAP user, I would bring a good 25' extension cord, just in case Guest Services run out of them.

The dual LED ? or halogen lights above the dresser/table at the mirror is slightly adjustable. Noticed our 3 LED usb-powered night-light, the tealight's battery ran out & not replacing it.

Lastly, this is going to be our subjective, biased n personal opinion, YMMV - it appeared some of the entrees are trending toward healthier eating & lighter in portion sizes and calories.  We liked the old Cooking Light series 😁 but if you enjoy a bigger portion, might wish to consider ordering an extra (free) serving to share with a table-mate. Please do not turn this comment into ... there are several ongoing ones already, take another look at our food pictures & decide for yourself.  We are on this cruise now and it is what it is, to us, as "critics".  The crews are excellent ! 

Ooops, 5 minutes passed sailaway @ 17:00 appeared everyone is back onboard, except one - 2nd paging with same guest to contact Guest Services at extension 00. 

3rd page for same guest @ 17:18 ... this isn't good.

Collage 2019-01-16 17_17_08.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Thank you for the update.  I went to the Supper Club 7 times for complimentary dinner and show between the pay for events like Choir.  It was not well publicized and usually about half filled .  But each performance was great.  Acts included headliners, lounge acts and solo performance from After Midnight/Brat pack casts.  It would be disappointing if they did not continue.

• Like 1