Crossing the Tasman Sea

Little Monty

Hello again. I just wanted to add some interim thoughts about trip so far (Auckland NZ to Sydney Aust on Orion).

Firstly the itinerary. It is good, for us DW retired on 21 Dec and we booked this in April 2018 to coincide with her retirement. We were just looking for a couple of weeks, low stress, itinerary not so important. We have been to NZ probably more than 10 times (manly South Island for skiiing .. we are too old to ski now).

The itinerary is good, but it could be much better. I know theses things are planned years in advance and any change would be years away .. but if this was a 16 night cruise and not 14 it would allow a visit to Doubtful Sound (on the west coast) and an overnight in Hobart.

Doubtful Sound is magnificent (quite similar the the fjords of Norway, on slightly less grand scale). 

Tasmania is also a magnificent pristine environment and there would be no worries fill up an overnight stay with great excursions.

So there for what it is worth .. the addition of an extra 2 days would turn a very good itinerary to something really special. I will write this on my Feedback form, please feel free to let Viking know if you agree.

For those of you in Europe / USA etc .. in my humble opinion 4 sea days are too many for a 14 night cruise. It doesn’t bother us as DW is just looking to chill out for 2 weeks, but for you to travel all this way for this itinerary, I just don’t  think it does justice to these beautiful parts of the world.

Just my opinion of course.

We knew when we booked crossing the Tasman Sea from Dunedin to Hobart would be a challenge. Grab a map and find Invercargill on the far southern tip of the South Island. We cruised in the general area of Invercargill but did not visit.

On you map look south from Invercargill - nothing for a 1000 miles till you reach Antarctica. Now look east or west from Invercargill - either way the first land you will reach is Argentina. This is wild, open ocean. I had convinced myself that the seas would be kind, but the last 2 days have been very uncomfortable. 

For the first part of the trip out of Dunedin we were buffeted by a big swell coming from the Southern Ocean. We were heading  south then west and we were right in its path ( hitting us on the port side with much side to side rolling. Once we cleared NZ the swell seemed change to be more directly into us.

We had a dream run on Star for Viking Homelands in 2017 and only one sea day (which was dead calm).

For this one we left Dunedin at 6pm Saturday night. We were at sea all day yesterday and again today. Tomorrow we reach Hobart at midday ... 66 hours on the open ocean (although we arrive in Hobart via the Derwent River which should be calm),

The seas between midnight last night and 6am where worse than anything I have experienced in my very limited cruising career. The banging / shaking / rolling kept me awake all night. 

I have have been taking seasick medication supplemented by ginger tablets for the past couple of days but even with that I felt very unwell this morning. I have been drinking green tea to settle my tummy and thankfully now (11am) the swell does seem to be less fierce.

Unless you are a very experienced cruiser / yachtsman etc I would be surprised if you don’t find this crossing a challenge. These conditions are apparently quite common - but of course there would be days when seas are calm and some will wonder what all the fuss is about.

And of course most importantly, I am a bit of a wimp and if anyone was going to feel unwell, it was me. I have spoken to others and they have confirmed there are a number on board who are under the weather so at least I am not alone.

Dont let me put you off - please come to this lovely part of the world .. but please do be prepared.

Most of you will likely have no problems at all and most of you have much more experience with the open ocean than I do .. any no doubt know how to deal with the situation.

We just hit two really big waves (not over the bow big, but big enough).

I might go and have a lie down 💤 😴 

Regards, Monty

Edited by Little Monty
Spelling

DW isn't looking forward to this portion next year. Only crossed it once and it was a little lumpy.

There is a good reason we referred to the waters from the Southern Ocean to Tasman Sea as being the roaring 40's (referencing the Latitude) 

Hobart cancelled .. at midday the Captain has advised he must slow our speed to compensate for the rough seas. As such our arrival in Hobart would be only very shortly before we were due to depart. 

Therefore our day in Hobart has been cancelled and we will head straight to Melbourne where we have an overnight.

Bummer.

This means another sea day tomorrow.

Double bummer.

We also missed Christchurch a few days ago due to high winds.

Not exactly what we were hoping for, but we are being philosophical and positive 🍷

C’est la vie

I imagine those sea days are becoming very tiring now. Such a shame missing Hobart - not so much for locals but for the Internationals. I thought the seas looked quite calm from the bridge cam but I guess not. Try enjoy. 

1EE67A4D-597D-40E8-AD41-0F34E1B97863.thumb.png.3d5e4e5d33a2f0da49cfee1bb09d8999.png

Hi Little Monty, thanks for taking the time to post.  Sorry you are experiencing rough seas.  We are looking at this itinerary for 2020.  Do you think time of year (January versus March) or direction (Auckland to Sydney versus Sydney to Auckland) makes any difference in the weather or sea conditions?  

Was going to wait until we got home to post, but I see Monty is updating so I’ll chime in. We understand safety we’re on board and don’t want something bad to happen, but quite frankly we don’t get it. My husband was just saying, we knew this was new to Viking, but they really were totally unprepared for this. The Tasman is known for this, I have been sick (with great apologies to our room attendant for last night before meds kicked in) really sick, but I expected to be!! I came prepared for this. The seas are not THAT bad. Christchurch is a total mystery. Some people were on phone with Christchurch cancelling excursions and they could not understand they said there weren’t weather issues. The two previous poets they said we barely got in. This has got us confused. 

First time on Viking. We love the ship, the service, the food is good, but they really do not have their act together yet on ocean cruises. 

Will write mire later. 

Hello Puahka .. yes I feel for everyone, but especially those who came half way around the world.

Hello Frenchberet .. on the balance of probabilities March would be better. One of the recent issues has been a cyclone in far North Queensland. Whilst this a long way from where we are that weather system has pushed several other weather systems down south. The flow on effect is part of what are experiencing. Cyclones are less likely In March - but only slightly less likely. It is a guess, but March may be better (but don’t rely on me and don’t bet on the weather !). I can’t see any advantage with one direction v the other.

Stretchczuz .. I hope others join in, but this body of water is notorious for wild weather - but equally notorious for being relatively calm. Again, luck of the draw but some experienced cruisers might be able to add.

And Sunflower .. I’m with you. As we cruised past where Christchurch was I said to DW - they must be kidding. The weather was quite good and winds very light. I don’t really understand. 

And things are are as good right now as they have been for a couple of days so why not head for Hobart ? 

We are however going very slowly and if the Captain increases speed he decreases our discomfort - so maybe we should be careful what we ask for.

DW and I are ok with what has happened as she just needed a break with plenty of downtime and we certainly have that. But I am very sorry for those have travelled from afar.

I read as many Viking Ocan reviews as I can and the common theme in recent months has been - onboard really good, excursion planning and execution fairly poor. I would be interested to see the number of missed ports for Viking ships v other cruise lines over say a 6 month period ?

On water decisions are of course at the discretion of the Captain and I want to be safe and comfortable, but ... I do want to go to the places I paid for 😢

And I hope you are feeling better 👍

Edited by Little Monty
Error

We are doing a little better than LM and his wife, but did spend much time in bed yesterday watching Cheers reruns (forgot how funny that show is).

We did run 3 miles on treadmill yesterday morning and this morning and that was challenging, but not impossible.

Today is better.

Disappointed about Christchurch and Holbart, but know anything is possible on a 14 night cruise.  Once did the Silver Spirit mainly for the Amalfi Coast and that was the only port cancelled (and we had already sailed the Spirit before)

Like LM, making the best of it.

Still getting our $ worth with SSBP, but did take a few steps back yesterday.  I consider it a detox day.

We’re on board too.   Sad and bewildered to know why we missed Christchurch but can understand Hobart being cancelled after the rocky seas.  We did manage 4 laps of the deck yesterday morning but gave up after nearly being blown over!  Things went downhill then, DH had to start his seasick pills and I got gradually more queasy as the day went on.  We had to cancel our booking at Chef’s Table and just managed a bowl of miso soup with bits in at the World Cafe.  The SSBP was not utilised, so like impca, yesterday was a bit of a detox day!

Compensation has been mentioned, wonder how that works.  5 days at sea out of 14 is torture in these conditions!

Hello fellow travellers.

We are much better .. for the moment anyway. Had a light lunch and then a nap. Now having coffee - which is big improvement. I couldn’t look at anything diary yesterday.

All being well I will graduate to a Whiskey Sour shortly.

And yes, let’s see how the compensation works out.

Have a good night.

16 minutes ago, BeeD said:

We’re on board too.   Sad and bewildered to know why we missed Christchurch but can understand Hobart being cancelled after the rocky seas.  

If it was windy, I suspect that might be the reason for missing Christchurch.

Lyttelton, which is the closest port to Christchurch can be a very challenging arrival for cruise ships, when the wind blows. The entrance into the bay is OK, but I believe the cruise ships use the inner berths, inside the breakwater. Memory is hazy, as it has been many years, but I don't believe modern cruise ships can turn around inside the breakwater. Therefore they have to turn around out in the bay and reverse through the  breakwater, or reverse out on departure.

When windy this is a very challenging and risky manoeuvre.

Jim - can you confirm from last year's WC, if my memory is correct, or have they built a new berth. 

• Like 1

In the Living Room bar right now. Overhearing several very unhappy guests who came on this cruise with 2 ‘must-sees’ ...Christchurch and Hobart.

Very unhappy that they will miss both.

I’m not judging .. just reporting 😡

Andy’s explanation above is likely correct .. a crew member told us Lyttelton is a challenge at the best of times and almost impossible in windy conditions.

FYI Christchurch wharf has never recovered from the 2011 earthquake and cruise ships almost exclusively go to Lyttelton (again, that is what I was told)

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If it was windy, I suspect that might be the reason for missing Christchurch.

Lyttelton, which is the closest port to Christchurch can be a very challenging arrival for cruise ships, when the wind blows. The entrance into the bay is OK, but I believe the cruise ships use the inner berths, inside the breakwater. Memory is hazy, as it has been many years, but I don't believe modern cruise ships can turn around inside the breakwater. Therefore they have to turn around out in the bay and reverse through the  breakwater, or reverse out on departure.

When windy this is a very challenging and risky manoeuvre.

Jim - can you confirm from last year's WC, if my memory is correct, or have they built a new berth. 

You are correct about Lyttelton.  No new berth.  Docked right in the town and shuttle bussed into Christchurch.  I remember a great cheese shop in CChurch.  We loaded up for our snack food bar in the cabin.

23 hours ago, Little Monty said:

In the Living Room bar right now. Overhearing several very unhappy guests who came on this cruise with 2 ‘must-sees’ ...Christchurch and Hobart.

Very unhappy that they will miss both.

I’m not judging .. just reporting 😡

Andy’s explanation above is likely correct .. a crew member told us Lyttelton is a challenge at the best of times and almost impossible in windy conditions.

FYI Christchurch wharf has never recovered from the 2011 earthquake and cruise ships almost exclusively go to Lyttelton (again, that is what I was told)

Monty - another alternate for Christchurch is available at Akaroa, but it is 50 miles each way. BTW - I don't recall ships ever docking in Christchurch Bay, we always used Lyttleton.

We paid a deposit on a Viking Ocean cruise from NZ to AU for March 6-20, 2020 (it would be our fifth VO cruise).  The very long flight to get there from SC was already a potential nightmare, but now we're getting worried about the Tasman Sea crossing. Both of us have problems with motion sickness (even with medication), so we're beginning to wonder if we need to find a replacement cruise

20 minutes ago, moatenote said:

We paid a deposit on a Viking Ocean cruise from NZ to AU for March 6-20, 2020 (it would be our fifth VO cruise).  The very long flight to get there from SC was already a potential nightmare, but now we're getting worried about the Tasman Sea crossing. Both of us have problems with motion sickness (even with medication), so we're beginning to wonder if we need to find a replacement cruise

Tasman sea can be smooth as glass, or some of the roughest seas in the world, if you’re going NZ to Sydney it’s more likely to be tamer, but if you are heading down to Tasmania....

59 minutes ago, moatenote said:

The Southern portion of the Tasman Sea between NZ & Tasmania is on the edge of the Westerly belt, so while winds can be variable, as is common in the Horse Latitudes, you should experience more Westerly winds than from other directions.

Therefore, when bound NZ to Aus, you would have a higher chance of head winds. However, your cruise is scheduled for the beginning of Fall in the Southern Hemisphere (equivalent of Sept in N/Hem), so definitely not the worst weather. Unfortunately, like many areas of the world, the Tasman Sea is susceptible to storms, at any time of year. However, many ships have made the same passage without discomfort and/or delays. The current storms are most definitely not overly normal during the summer months.

I have experienced similar weather in Alaska in May & Sept and it doesn't stop cruise line sending even more ships to Alaska. We can't guarantee you smooth sailings, but a little research should provide you some stats regarding how many similar sailings (other cruise lines) are delayed.

Hope you continue the cruise and enjoy.

March is usually the best time to visit Southern Australia. The weather has settled into the late summer pattern and the winter period doesn’t usually kick in until late April through May at the earliest. It’s usually warm and sunny.