Island Princess pool question

OttawaJohn

A quesiton for those who have sailed on her

Research is providing different answers to this but there clearly is a pool that is covered it seems in the pics

My question is, is that pool part of the spa or some special package, or just a general pool any can access?

And does that roof retract?

Thanks in advance!

I was just on her over Christmas and there is one pool in the open on lido deck and then the other one before you get to the spa that has a retractable roof. It's supposed to be adults only, but I saw a few kids there occasionally. They were far and few between and I doubt they bothered anyone.

• 2 months later...

I know that the Lido pool is not handicap accessible.

Is the Lotus pool accessible -- an area of STEPS into the pool, not ladders?

I've booked a 28 day cruise & now realize that there probably won't be any pool time for me other than hot tubs.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:38 AM, OttawaJohn said:

A quesiton for those who have sailed on her

Research is providing different answers to this but there clearly is a pool that is covered it seems in the pics

My question is, is that pool part of the spa or some special package, or just a general pool any can access?

And does that roof retract?

Thanks in advance!

The pools are open to anyone.

In our 70 Princess cruises over 30 plus years we have never seen them open a ships retractable pool roof.

Someone did post a photo about 10 years ago showing one of the roofs open. But we have never seen it.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The pools are open to anyone.

In our 70 Princess cruises over 30 plus years we have never seen them open a ships retractable pool roof.

Someone did post a photo about 10 years ago showing one of the roofs open. But we have never seen it.

I wonder if these roofs even still operate, if they haven’t opened them in years I bet not. 

19 minutes ago, antsp said:

I wonder if these roofs even still operate, if they haven’t opened them in years I bet not. 

Think you are right.....

Lots of layers of paint to gum them up.

They really have to be operated/luricated regularly to work right.

1 hour ago, antsp said:

Yes, they do. I was on the Island a couple of years ago and the roof was open several days on the cruise. Like so many things, I’m sure they open and close at least for maintenance purposes. 

• Haha 1

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/island-princess-279/lotus-pool-368578/

Can anyone confirm whether or not there are STEPS into the Lotus pool between the lion figures & the large shell sculpture?  I can almost see them in the photos (above link) but want to be sure.

I'd sure hate to spend 28 days on the ship in the S. Pacific & not be able to go in a pool.  I'd probably have to cancel the booking.

1 hour ago, DRS/NC said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/island-princess-279/lotus-pool-368578/

Can anyone confirm whether or not there are STEPS into the Lotus pool between the lion figures & the large shell sculpture?  I can almost see them in the photos (above link) but want to be sure.

I'd sure hate to spend 28 days on the ship in the S. Pacific & not be able to go in a pool.  I'd probably have to cancel the booking.

There are steps. Here's a pic I took a couple years back that shows them.

lotuspool.jpg

Idahospud --- Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm saving your post & photo!

This cruise is w/my BFF & her DH; we'll be celebrating my 75th b'day.

I really need the pool for basic therapy w/my old joints.

You've answered my "make or break" question.  Now I can happily anticipate our cruise.

Once again, a CC member to the rescue!

11 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

Idahospud --- Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm saving your post & photo!

This cruise is w/my BFF & her DH; we'll be celebrating my 75th b'day.

I really need the pool for basic therapy w/my old joints.

You've answered my "make or break" question.  Now I can happily anticipate our cruise.

Once again, a CC member to the rescue!

Glad I could help. I have two knee replacements so I know the importance of stairs over ladders. Enjoy your cruise - it sounds like a great one!