Does Anthem of the Seas sail past Lady Liberty?

Looking at maps...it appears the port is closer to the ocean than where Liberty Island is meaning during a typical sail away....if you left port and headed for the Narrows bridge...the closet you would ever get to Liberty is basically when you are still in port.

12 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Looking at maps...it appears the port is closer to the ocean than where Liberty Island is meaning during a typical sail away....if you left port and headed for the Narrows bridge...the closet you would ever get to Liberty is basically when you are still in port.

Correct, you do not sail past Lady Liberty.  You can see her in the distance from the ship.  Occasionally, on longer NE/Canada cruises, there has been a sail by but I have only heard that has happened twice.

Man that's a bummer ;(.  I was hoping to sail past it and have a little learning moment with the kids about their family history on my wife's side and her family's immigration to America in the early and mid 20th century.

Edited by dodgestang

You are correct. Ships ,RCCLand Celebrity,leaving the Jersey port usually do not go past the Statue.

Sometimes captains make a bit of a detour by going up into the harbor,circling Liberty Island before going under the Verrazano Bridge out to sea.

NCL and Carnival ships leaving from pier 88 Manhattan Terminal and Princess and Cunard ships leaving from the Brooklyn port have excellent views of the Staue and the Manhattan skyline.

15 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Last time I sailed RCCL out of NY area was 2000....and they were still leaving from Manhattan I think because I remember sailing past 😞

This is as close as you will get on the Anthem unfortunately

IMG_0233.HEIC

Edited by torbs

If you plan come in a day or two before your cruise,I would suggest that you and your family take the Statan  Island Ferry either from the Staten Island side or the Manhattan side.

For a minimal fare, you will have very good views of the Staue and the lower Manhattan skyline as well as the water traffic in the harbor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

If you plan come in a day or two before your cruise,I would suggest that you and your family take the Statan  Island Ferry either from the Staten Island side or the Manhattan side.

For a minimal fare, you will have very good views of the Staue and the lower Manhattan skyline as well as the water traffic in the harbor.

Or, take the statue cruise ferry from liberty state park in Jersey City to the SOL and Ellis Island, makes for a fun and educational day.

This is a spring break cruise...leaves Sat AM....so we will just be driving up in the AM and getting on the boat....also then I won't have to worry about all the suitcases sitting in the back of my pick up ;).

Maybe I'll ask one of those Genies to get us to sail past 😉

On the Inaugural Quantum TA we came into NY early one morning, everyone was on deck, champagne in hand...... "New York State of Mind" blaring on the speakers... and we did a loop of Lady Liberty.

A moment never to forget....

I'm hoping Anthem, after her drydock in Europe and her TA does the same.......

Edited by little britain

3 hours ago, dodgestang said:

We did NE/Canada cruise September 2016 and had Captain Erik Standal and Cruise Director Graham Seymour (LOVE HIM!!) 

Captain Standal was gracious enough to sail up the Hudson to pass Lady Liberty.  It was AWESOME.

IMG_3648.JPG