Just off nieuw statendam any questions

Johnmike1234

Just off what a great trip food was fabulous booked another on this ship for next year yes there were some hiccups but overall a fantastic cruise any questions i would be happy to answer ps one thing our last stop was cozumel they never told us to wait to buy jewelry till mexico which they should have cause you get 8.9 % back from the mexican goverment sadly we bought in the cayman islands 

Any tips/tricks/secrets?

I heard there may be drawers at the foot of the beds.

Are there spots in the shade with lounge chairs?  I may miss the promenade deck that was on previous HAL ships....It's been a while since we sailed HAL.

Any nice small or hidden food stands to check out? 

Favorite music spots? Shows? Free wine - meet the captain night? 

Favorite food in the MDR? 

Part of the the fun is exploring, but I love getting info from previous/experienced guests!  🙂

Hope the Crow's Nest is awesome! 

Thanks!

I haven't sailed on HAL in awhile, wondering if there is a band that plays at the pool. Looking for top 40 type music. Also wondering about rooms on deck 11 on the Nieuw Statendam? Are they noisy being on higher deck. Thanks   

7 hours ago, Johnmike1234 said:

Just off what a great trip food was fabulous booked another on this ship for next year yes there were some hiccups but overall a fantastic cruise any questions i would be happy to answer ps one thing our last stop was cozumel they never told us to wait to buy jewelry till mexico which they should have cause you get 8.9 % back from the mexican goverment sadly we bought in the cayman islands 

Did you have a Retreat cabana? If you did, did you notice if the "walls" can be rolled up to make one big cabana out of two?

21 minutes ago, Sunshineliving said:

Did you have a Retreat cabana? If you did, did you notice if the "walls" can be rolled up to make one big cabana out of two?

We had two retreat cabanas on the Christmas NS cruise and loved every minute of it. There are solid panels and canvas panels between the individual cabanas so if you choose the right two cabanas next to each other, you can push the canvas to one side and have a double size cabana--although the two lounges take up most of the space in a cabana with a small table between the lounges.

Unfortunately, I didn't choose cabanas with the canvas between them--but we survived. As I recall, the family size cabanas had solid panels on each side. Then the next two cabanas had a canvas wall between them, then a solid panel, then a canvas panel, etc. We had cabanas #17 and 18 with a solid wall between us. There are lounges out in the open area, several dining tables, and a hot tub that was popular. And three wonderful cabana stewards!! Champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and frozen grapes at 3PM each afternoon.

1 hour ago, lg rover said:

I haven't sailed on HAL in awhile, wondering if there is a band that plays at the pool. Looking for top 40 type music. Also wondering about rooms on deck 11 on the Nieuw Statendam? Are they noisy being on higher deck. Thanks   

No band at the pool but did have a movie there each evening. We were on deck 10 right at the front of the ship and did not find it noisy, but there was definitely a LOT more movement than lower down and more in the middle of the ship. Read someone's review who noted the stern is also a bouncier ride as well. We did have 3 to 4 meter swells for a couple of nights.

Edited by oceanmom

Hi ! Nice to know you enjoyed your cruise on the NS. We will do the western itinary as well in April. Can you tell me on what night were  the formal nights ? We want to book speciality restaurants but do not want to miss any formal nights ! Thank you ! 

15 hours ago, pinkiek said:

Did you go to Ocho Rios?  If you did, where did you dock?  Thanks for your help.

We went to montego bay people that tried to do falls thru ship tours got some money back as they did not have enough time at falls and only did a small portion 

8 hours ago, Mer turquoise said:

Hi ! Nice to know you enjoyed your cruise on the NS. We will do the western itinary as well in April. Can you tell me on what night were  the formal nights ? We want to book speciality restaurants but do not want to miss any formal nights ! Thank you ! 

They did formal on 2 and 4th nights also what i thought was amazing they had lobster and filet at the buffet i never had that on any other line before the food at the buffet was actually some of the best buffet food i ever had on a ship also the sweet pretzel at the pizza place was amazing the carmel almond crunch but only avail in the evenings 

1 hour ago, Johnmike1234 said:

They did formal on 2 and 4th nights

Hi - could you clarify (for my pea brain)?

Was the first formal night on the same day as Half Moon Cay, or the at-sea day?

Was the second formal night after Cayman or Cozumel?

I'm hoping that the NS Western itineraries are the same so I can plan.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, killsport said:

Thank you!

It was on 2nd day which for us was a sea day and also on grand cayman day

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, killsport said:

Thank you!

They did half moon cay first day also worst day for dining room imo was cozumel worst meal of week 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Imvitalized said:

Any tips/tricks/secrets?

I heard there may be drawers at the foot of the beds.

Are there spots in the shade with lounge chairs?  I may miss the promenade deck that was on previous HAL ships....It's been a while since we sailed HAL.

Any nice small or hidden food stands to check out? 

Favorite music spots? Shows? Free wine - meet the captain night? 

Favorite food in the MDR? 

Part of the the fun is exploring, but I love getting info from previous/experienced guests!  🙂

Hope the Crow's Nest is awesome! 

Thanks!

We also just got off the NS yesterday and really enjoyed this Ship and all that she offers!

The NY Deli & Pizzeria are on Deck 10 and has very good overstuffed Sandwiches as well as the Pizza.  They are open, too, for breakfast bagels, etc. and open  until Midnight.  The Breadboard in Lido on Deck 9 makes Made-to-Order sandwiches as well as having the Pre-Mades there.

The new Rolling Stone Rock Room is across from Billboard on Billboard and they switch on and off with their shows.  This, to us, is a Home Run and really enjoyed both Venues.  We also enjoyed the Ocean Bar for a quiet Pre-dinner Drink and listening to the Piano Player.  

We ate in the Specialty Restaurants every night and all were excellent with our favorite being Sel de Mer.  

They did have a Meet the Officers on the first Gala Night at the Mid-Ship Pool and had a Champagne Toast.  I believe it was at 7:30 pm.

Check out Dutch Café on Deck 3!

We were onboard only for a 7 Night Cruise and had a Verandah on Deck 8.  We found there was plenty of storage so didn't look for the "secret drawers".  

We had Room Service breakfast every morning and they were always on time.  You can write in items if you don't see it on the Menu.

Enjoy your Cruise!  She's a beautiful Ship with a wonderful Crew!

On 1/13/2019 at 1:10 PM, Johnmike1234 said:

any questions i would be happy to answer 

1.  Did you notice any 1st night specialty restaurant discounts?

2.  Do you have the when/where?  If not, what time were the evening shows @ the main theater?

3.  What shore excursions did you do?

Edited by mocruzer

Mom and I were on Nieuw Statendam for 18 days. Dec. 19 - Jan 6 so we have been home for a week.

Our visit to Jamaica was Ocho Rios. I did the trip to Mystic Mountain including the chairlift ride to the top, the bobsled and zip lining. Will say since I have done other zip lining that I did not see any double checking of equipment and on some of the platforms we were not connected to a safety line. We were sent through very quickly. As in before one person was done being disconnected from the cable with their equipment the next person was already coming. But after watching other peoples videos of doing this on YouTube it looks like this is just how they do it there. In regards to one platform close to the end it would have been very easy to by accident step backwards and fall off the platform. Due to no safety line and a gate to close the opening.

What I am getting at though is for those that just disembarked yesterday am curious as to how the security situation was getting back to the ship in Cozumel. Wonder if it was any different than what we dealt with as according to Marine Traffic the ship was docked at different piers for her first two visits to Cozumel. Our experience was not pleasant and dealt with one that refused to speak English. We observed others also not being treated very well.

7 hours ago, Johnmike1234 said:

It was on 2nd day which for us was a sea day and also on grand cayman day

Thank you very much for the reply. It’s good to know that Cozumel night menu is less interesting. We might book a specialty restaurant for that night.

Just to make sure I understand correctly (my English is not 100 % 😊)… our itinerary is:

1st night: FLL

2nd night: HMC

3rd night: At sea

4th night: Ocho Rios

5th night: Grand Cayman

6th night: Cozumel

7th night: At sea

Did you do the same itinerary? If so, the first formal night was on HMC day or at sea day ?

Thank you again !

We also just got home from a wonderful 14 days on the NS. I will have to add that after 20 cruises this ship had some of the best cruise dining we have experienced. I am not sure why you would need to add speciality restaurants unless you just want the experience (and I respect all personal dining choices!) but the main dining room and the buffet (which has special nights with extra treats) were both fantastic. I usually skip buffets but with HAL using the staff to serve guests, I did not experience any problems health wise and the choices were awesome. You will love this ship!

• Like 1

May I add some other thoughts? I am very picky (sad to admit this!) and always worry about dining on a cruise ship. I was above pleased with the dining room choices and for the first time we had chefs come around to each table every few nights to make sure all guests were pleased and if any special requests had been met. It may just be the NS as we were on the Eurodam this past summer and I was not as fond of the main dining room but the NS is wonderful. Perhaps because it is the new ship on the block? I just know that you could ask for smaller portions, extra portions, deviations to the sauces and dressings and everything was met with yes, we can do that! The one night we didn't eat in the main dining room the buffet had choices of steak, lobster, shrimp and so on... You can trust me on this one-objective and positive!!

On 1/14/2019 at 5:49 PM, mocruzer said:

1.  Did you notice any 1st night specialty restaurant discounts?

2.  Do you have the when/where?  If not, what time were the evening shows @ the main theater?

3.  What shore excursions did you do?

1 no discounts on any specialty any night on this ship they do offer specials for 2 night for 33 for the italian and asian but we did not do any this year 

2shows 8 and 10 Humanity was amazing stages was ok but everyone has there own opinons the 2 production shows have no singers they are dance shows the singer are in the alternate 3 rooms bb kings rolling stong and billboard and those were awesome the production shows will change every 4 months also test kitchen was on both sea days at 1pm very informative if you like cooking shows 

3 wedid not do any boat excursions

4 did not like new layout of the daily planner very hard to follow

On 1/14/2019 at 8:34 PM, Mer turquoise said:

Thank you very much for the reply. It’s good to know that Cozumel night menu is less interesting. We might book a specialty restaurant for that night.

Just to make sure I understand correctly (my English is not 100 % 😊)… our itinerary is:

1st night: FLL

2nd night: HMC

3rd night: At sea

4th night: Ocho Rios

5th night: Grand Cayman

6th night: Cozumel

7th night: At sea

Did you do the same itinerary? If so, the first formal night was on HMC day or at sea day ?

Thank you again !

3rd and 5th for formal