Just off nieuw statendam any questions

Johnmike1234

2 hours ago, Johnmike1234 said:

1 no discounts on any specialty any night on this ship they do offer specials for 2 night for 33 for the italian and asian but we did not do any this year 

2shows 8 and 10 Humanity was amazing stages was ok but everyone has there own opinons the 2 production shows have no singers they are dance shows the singer are in the alternate 3 rooms bb kings rolling stong and billboard and those were awesome the production shows will change every 4 months also test kitchen was on both sea days at 1pm very informative if you like cooking shows 

3 wedid not do any boat excursions

4 did not like new layout of the daily planner very hard to follow

Thank you for your reply.   

On 1/13/2019 at 10:22 PM, oceanmom said:

We had two retreat cabanas on the Christmas NS cruise and loved every minute of it. There are solid panels and canvas panels between the individual cabanas so if you choose the right two cabanas next to each other, you can push the canvas to one side and have a double size cabana--although the two lounges take up most of the space in a cabana with a small table between the lounges.

Unfortunately, I didn't choose cabanas with the canvas between them--but we survived. As I recall, the family size cabanas had solid panels on each side. Then the next two cabanas had a canvas wall between them, then a solid panel, then a canvas panel, etc. We had cabanas #17 and 18 with a solid wall between us. There are lounges out in the open area, several dining tables, and a hot tub that was popular. And three wonderful cabana stewards!! Champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and frozen grapes at 3PM each afternoon.

Thank you. I loved the Retreat on my first HAL cruise. We have 13 and 14. Couldn't get a family one. 

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Yes, I know there was 1 in the lido pool area.

Thanks for the info. Were people using them frequently with the plastic cups? Seems like a past traveler in another thread said they weren't working yet or something.

Thanks for info. We are trying HAL for first time on NS in March.  

Can anyone give me explanation of what the VQ Veranda Spa class includes.  TA just said admittance to Spa - is there special relaxation rooms or Persian Garden-like lounge similar to X or entrance to Retreat.

Also, since we are doing last minute, interested in the Retreat - if you don’t get a cabana can you reserve lounge chairs?  We enjoy quiet, full-sun lounging from 9:30ish to Noon.  Any hidden spots (near pool not important).

How is the fitness center, yoga or Pilates classes - fee?

Have heard great things about HAL, Kdam so I am excited to try the Nieuw Statendam.

appreciate any advice to make a great first experience.

Appreciate the advice!

10 hours ago, stevea326 said:

Thanks for the info. Were people using them frequently with the plastic cups? Seems like a past traveler in another thread said they weren't working yet or something.

Yes, NS has the machine, but no cups yet, so you cannot buy the package. We are on until 1/30 and they led us to believe that the cups won’t  be available until after that sailing.

56 minutes ago, Jdpapillion said:

Thanks for info. We are trying HAL for first time on NS in March.  

Can anyone give me explanation of what the VQ Veranda Spa class includes.  TA just said admittance to Spa - is there special relaxation rooms or Persian Garden-like lounge similar to X or entrance to Retreat.

Also, since we are doing last minute, interested in the Retreat - if you don’t get a cabana can you reserve lounge chairs?  We enjoy quiet, full-sun lounging from 9:30ish to Noon.  Any hidden spots (near pool not important).

How is the fitness center, yoga or Pilates classes - fee?

Have heard great things about HAL, Kdam so I am excited to try the Nieuw Statendam.

appreciate any advice to make a great first experience.

Appreciate the advice!

I don't think any stateroom category includes free access to the spa area. You would have to buy a pass if you wanted to use it.

The only place to have reserved loungers is in the retreat cabanas. You would have to reserve a cabana to use the loungers. They can be quite popular so booking before your cruise is advised. 

Edited by OVgirl

I just got off the NS on Sunday. They had the Freestyle Coke machine but not the cups. We were very disappointed since we purchased the package for this reason. We had to order from the bar. I inquired at guest services and was told... the cups haven't arrived yet. They offered to refund the package price but would not give us the online price ($25 for $50) for Coke cards. So we kept the package and purchased insulated tumblers at our first stop. 

Edited by charterchick
added info.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, CruiseLady88 said:

Any one dancing on the dance floor in the Ocean Bar, or Queen's lounge?

Thanks!

A few would use the small dance floor in the Ocean Bar, but in the Queen's Lounge (now called the BB King's Club/Lincoln Center Live), the floor would fill up when the BB King's group would be playing.  Also, in the Rolling Stone Rock Room, many would dance as well.

1 hour ago, SAPMAN said:

Anyone do back to back at FLL? What was the process after 1st cruise?  We have different stateroom for 2nd cruise. 

My Nieuw Statendam was a b2b, but in the same stateroom.  There were 538 of us doing my b2b.  We met in the World Stage around 9:30 A. M.  Shortly after, we were led off the ship and to the area of the terminal where the luggage is picked up when one disembarks.  Like good soldiers, we lined up and quickly walked through a line where there were three ICE folks matched your passport photo with you.  Then, we formed more lines waiting for the "zero clearance".  As usual, one "gentleman" delayed our re-embarkation by several minutes by his tardiness for the procedure.  Once the ship was cleared, each of the lines were allowed to go up the escalator and re-board the ship.  (This was handled by the HAL staff very well.)

Each cruise, the process could change.  From the HAL staff member, how the clearance is done is totally controlled by ICE once the ship's first line hits the dock upon arrival.

When I disembarked, the next b2b group met in the Lincoln Center Live/BB King's Lounge.  There appeared to be fewer b2b guests for the next group than what was on mine.

I have never changed staterooms during a b2b, but I have been told that the ship's personnel will assist you in moving luggage, clothing on hangers, etc. from one stateroom to another.  I am sure you will be informed before you arrive at Fort Lauderdale.

What does a guest require that morning?  PATIENCE!  

Do you by chance have any pictures of the menus from the bars especially the wine options. I just read a review tonight it said the only offer Chardonnay or Merlot with the signature beverage package which just someone who does not drink either those why is horrifying. If that's the case I'm very concerned and feel a little bit of a bait-and-switch though I know it's all subject to whatever the cruise line wants to offer. I guess I'm going to have to decide how and when to upgrade to the premium beverage package if that is the case. Thank you so much for any insight

On 1/13/2019 at 10:22 PM, oceanmom said:

We had two retreat cabanas on the Christmas NS cruise and loved every minute of it. There are solid panels and canvas panels between the individual cabanas so if you choose the right two cabanas next to each other, you can push the canvas to one side and have a double size cabana--although the two lounges take up most of the space in a cabana with a small table between the lounges.

Unfortunately, I didn't choose cabanas with the canvas between them--but we survived. As I recall, the family size cabanas had solid panels on each side. Then the next two cabanas had a canvas wall between them, then a solid panel, then a canvas panel, etc. We had cabanas #17 and 18 with a solid wall between us. There are lounges out in the open area, several dining tables, and a hot tub that was popular. And three wonderful cabana stewards!! Champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and frozen grapes at 3PM each afternoon.

Thunderbay,  have you looked at a lot of photos?

I cannot compare,  as I have not done the Retreat on HAL.

And I do not know which Princess Ships you have experienced.

We recently did the Sanctuary on the Regal Princess...

All I can say is...  OMG...  how wonderful!

I think it is safe to say,  just by photos and comments, that the Princess Sanctuary, especially on the ships like the Regal, is just absolutely gorgeous and outstanding.

I do not want to discount the Retreat on HAL... as I am sure it is exactly that, a very nice private retreat.

But, going by photos, just by comparison... on HAL it looks more like rows of EZ-ups.

This is good if one wants the actual cabana, and some total shade.

But, we would def. prefer the beautiful surroundings and experience of the Princess Sanctuary.

Most of the seating on Princess is pairs of very nice padded loungers, but not an actual cabana.

The Sanctuary Cabanas on the Regal Princess are like, major, seating, TV, etc..  But, so is the cost.

Edited by Wishing on a star

RKA,  Thanks for the detailed info.  I was thinking of getting off for a couple of hours and take the crew bus (heard they can do it) into the mini mall very close to port.  Then returning and getting on.  To get some wine and other items.  Sounds like that may be an issue.  I will inquire when on board and see how it goes. 

14 hours ago, thunderbay said:

Yes I am talking about the Regal Princess Sanctuary.  It was so wonderful!  I just checked HAL online and I don't even see an option to book the Retreat before boarding

You can call HAL special services and see if they have any open.