What To Do With a Morning in Auckland

My part of planning our trip to New Zealand is planning the logistics around arriving in Auckland and boarding our ship at Queen’s Wharf two days later.  Our flight gets in at 6:45 am in the morning.  After going through customs and gathering luggage, we ‘re going to try to drop off luggage at the Citylife Auckland, assuming we can’t check in until the afternoon.  Any suggestions for that morning/afternoon, since we’ll all be a little jet lagged?   One person has mobility issues, but can do most things.  We’re splitting up for various interests while in Auckland for 2 days, but would love to find an interesting thing to do with that first block of time. Up for any suggestions for sightseeing or restaurants as we haven’t seen anything yet.  Thanks!

3 things I enjoyed in Auckland are the City Tower, the Auckland Art Gallery, and Martime Museum.

All are relatively close to your hotel, butin different directions. It is also a little hilly, so mobility would have to be considered.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

3 things I enjoyed in Auckland are the City Tower, the Auckland Art Gallery, and Martime Museum.

All are relatively close to your hotel, butin different directions. It is also a little hilly, so mobility would have to be considered.

Thank you for these.  Will look them up as they sound interesting.  Uber might help.  

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If it's a nice day take the ferry across to Devonport. It's a lovely place to have lunch. After a long flight it's best to be outside for a few hours rather than inside museums.

Thank you. That’s on our list for the weekend, but that is a great suggestion about the fresh air.  I’m hoping they don’t find up asleep on the boat.  

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

As a bonus: the Maritime Museum is between the two wharves used for cruise ships 

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If it's a nice day take the ferry across to Devonport. It's a lovely place to have lunch. After a long flight it's best to be outside for a few hours rather than inside museums.

I always forget Devonport. Beautiful spot and a nice little ferry ride.

I was going to mention Mt Eden, which I have hiked up. However, equity a mobility challenge even around the rim of the volcano crater. Lovely place and great view across both sides of the island.

Devonport is my suggestion. Very pretty place.  Perhaps you could organise a private tour if that interests you. We did a three hour tour of Auckland in a mini bus/van which allowed us to have a good overview of the city. The company we used was Bush and Beach. 

Leigh

catch a bus - there's the Innerlink Bus - that does a circuit around the city and to Newmarket and Ponsonby - it's only a few $$ and you get to see a little of Auckland.  It's what we tend to do when there.

https://at.govt.nz/media/1977383/innerlink-map_july-2018-web.pdf

https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/bus-services/link-bus-service/

Or the hop on hop off bus.  We intended to do it last month when we had a 5.15 am arrival into Auckland airport.  As we had all done it previously and we were weary from an overnight flight we ended up taking a shuttle to the port, left our luggage and just stayed around the port area until we could board around midday.