New(?) Reminder of upcoming Regent Cruise

Portolan

Well, new to us, at least since we didn't receive this type of notice before our last Regent cruise (6 weeks ago).  Nice touch to keep the anticipation up.  Of course, the general information provided shouldn't be things we haven't already thought of.  I'd add (for US residents), registering with the State Department STEP program to receive alerts about anything of concern in international ports.

Email entitled: Countdown: 2 Weeks Until Your Luxury Cruise

Restates particulars about our booking and status plus this general information:

In two weeks you will set sail on an unforgettable journey to enchanting destinations from BUENOS AIRES to SANTIAGO (SAN ANTONIO) on the luxurious SEVEN SEAS EXPLORER® where your every wish and whim will be indulged We eagerly await your arrival and have attended to every detail so that you can relax and enjoy every moment of your Regent Seven Seas Cruises vacation.

To assist with your final vacation preparations, here is a checklist of travel reminders:

• Inform your credit and debit card providers of where and when you will be traveling. Verify whether cards assess foreign transactions fees to prevent unexpected charges.
  • Inform your cell phone carrier of the destinations you will be traveling to ask if they have a plan for the time you will be away. Be sure to inform them you will be on a cruise.
  • Place mail delivery on hold, and also place a hold on newspapers or other regular deliveries.
  • Ensure your baggage is tagged with your contact information and your Regent Seven Seas Cruises luggage tags.
  • Reconfirm travel times with airlines if flying to your destination, and don’t forget your passport!

Visit the Onboard Cruise Consultant for savings on your next cruise.

Edited by Portolan

36 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Nice I guess, but all pretty simple stuff, a no brainer except perhaps if you're a first-time traveller.

Oh, and my credit card and bank stopped demanding to know where I am years ago.  

Have a great time Portolan, on what I'm sure will be a fabulous cruise!

It is still a good idea to let your credit card companies and bank know your itinerary so when you use ATM's and/or credit cards in various countries, they know that the card is not being used fraudulently.  

The note from Regent nice for those who are not well traveled. My 30 year old kids might not think of this. 

Our American Express seems to be fine where ever we go. Our credit union that our ATM is associated with requires a day to day itinerary. This is a real pain for long trips, I dread the form for long cruises.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is still a good idea to let your credit card companies and bank know your itinerary so when you use ATM's and/or credit cards in various countries, they know that the card is not being used fraudulently.  

Yeah, well as I've said, my bank has specifically stated that this is no longer necessary.

Received same email.  A first for me.  Of course, it was stuff I already know, as would seasoned travelers.  But still useful for people who don’t travel frequently.

i also received an offer to switch to the next cruise and get a huge suite upgrade, but that is a no go.  The Buenos Aires to Santiago cruise is apparently well over sold.

46 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yeah, well as I've said, my bank has specifically stated that this is no longer necessary.

As have the two primary travel cards I carry with us. Being the old dog that I am, I still do the online notification.  

Completely unnecessary I know. Just makes me feel better. 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

The note from Regent nice for those who are not well traveled. My 30 year old kids might not think of this. 

Our American Express seems to be fine where ever we go. Our credit union that our ATM is associated with requires a day to day itinerary. This is a real pain for long trips, I dread the form for long cruises.

I just copy the itinerary from the Regent website and paste it into a letter to our credit union.  Very easy.  While we rarely go into the credit union, I need to stop there for "tip money" (not on the ship but for tour guides, bus drivers, baggage handlers, etc.). Our Chase credit card does not require it but appreciates it.  For them I paste the itinerary for our trips onto a message on Chase's website.

I don't think feel that this is being an old "dog" (or in my case "cat") but rather insuring that a credit card charge and/or an ATM withdrawal is not refused due to the country where I am.

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

Received same email.  A first for me.  Of course, it was stuff I already know, as would seasoned travelers.  But still useful for people who don’t travel frequently.

i also received an offer to switch to the next cruise and get a huge suite upgrade, but that is a no go.  The Buenos Aires to Santiago cruise is apparently well over sold.

How can they "over sell" a cruise? Doesn't each guest have a specific cabin assignment? It's hard to imagine bumping cruise passengers. Does it happen?

4 minutes ago, tripperva said:

How can they "over sell" a cruise? Doesn't each guest have a specific cabin assignment? It's hard to imagine bumping cruise passengers. Does it happen?

They sell a certain number of 'Guarantee' cabins on each ship that will allow them move passengers between cabin classes - those who have the Guarantee cabins don't have a specific cabin number assigned and theoretically may not have one until they embark.  We booked an H Gty on our last cruise and ended up in a PH C.

I believe this allows Regent to fill as many cabins as possible with the downside of having higher level cabins occupied by people paying for lower levels - but it's still better than sailing them empty.

But as with every other type of travel reservation system, there are times when they miss their estimates and have too many people booked - that's when the offers start coming out...$XXXX to switch to another cruise, $XXX to upgrade a cabin, etc.  I haven't seen it happen often, but it does happen.

Others may know more of the details than I do, but that's my understanding of the situation.

Just like airlines, cruise lines will oversell, knowing that they will have a certain number of last minute cancellations.  If that doesn’t happen, they start making offers, to switch to another cruise in a higher (often substantially higher) cabin.  But I have even received and have taken an offer to cancel completely with full refund and a very substantial cash payment which was enough to cover another cruise—offer given and accepted the evening before we were to fly out.

3 hours ago, RachelG said:

Just like airlines, cruise lines will oversell, knowing that they will have a certain number of last minute cancellations.  If that doesn’t happen, they start making offers, to switch to another cruise in a higher (often substantially higher) cabin.  But I have even received and have taken an offer to cancel completely with full refund and a very substantial cash payment which was enough to cover another cruise—offer given and accepted the evening before we were to fly out.

Would they do this for the upper categories as well?

Regarding overselling; then making an offer one could not refuse as to canceling and rescheduling: 

Voyager, 2014 Sydney to Singapore; then three-day add-on to Kuala Lumpur.

The offers started coming about a month-out.  Kept escalating as to total refund; then cash.  The final offer--which we refused--was received five days before we were due to fly out--early--to Sydney.  Total refund, of course; then $23,000 cash. 

We refused to change our plans due to several considerations, including scheduling that cruise over a year earlier to get what we wanted--and taking it with family and dear friends.  There were other aspects affecting our decision, but these were the main ones.  If it had just been me and my wife, we would probably have taken that final offer, and maybe, an earlier one.  Shortly after receiving Regent's initial inquiry/offer, talked to our TA.  The TA advised this was a common industry practice.  Just wait--Regent would continue to sweeten the pot.  It would do so until obtaining the necessary number of "takers".  Whatever. 

Stayed the course.  Great cruise; full ship. 

GOARMY!

We are on this cruise, BA to Santiago, and have done it before on the Mariner. The bottom of South America has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, so no surprise the cruise is sold out, even overbooked. Sometimes rough seas, sometimes not. Hoping for an excellent group of passengers again.

One of my CC issuers (UBS) has told me not to bother to inform them when I am travelling.  The other two - Harris Bank and Citi - still seem to want to know...

Had a funny thing happen once.  We live close to the Italian and French borders with Switzerland.  One morning I ordered a book from Amazon UK, paying with a US Visa card.  Lunch - we went to a restaurant in France and paid with the same card.   Then on our way home we stopped at a hardware store here and again paid with the same card.  That payment was refused.   I called the bank and was told the activity on the account was more than suspicious because how could I be in three countries in one day !!!!   Happily my call was enough to get the card unblocked.

• Haha 1

Just as a side note for those users whose banks still require travel notifications - don’t forget to include any layovers you might have.  About 5 years ago we had a few hours layover in LHR but I neglected to include the U.K. on my list of countries.  My US issued card didn’t work for a desperately needed cup of coffee...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Just as a side note for those users whose banks still require travel notifications - don’t forget to include any layovers you might have.  About 5 years ago we had a few hours layover in LHR but I neglected to include the U.K. on my list of countries.  My US issued card didn’t work for a desperately needed cup of coffee...

Great advice - will include that information for our trip next month.  

Amex told us we don’t need to call them as they know our frequent travel habits but I do anyway just for peace of mind .  We are Centurion with Amex.  Visa and Master Card we do notify just to be safe.  We have have never had a charge declined but if they did it would be for your protection and you would need to call the CC company to authorize payment.