Formal nights on Ovation of the Seas

AP1959

I’m going on Ovation of the Seas. Is it compulsory to wear a suit on the Formal nights in the main restaurants? Last year on the Explorer of the Seas not many suits were worn. Almost felt overdressed wearing a suit. Young people turned up wearing shorts and hoodies. 

Thanks for the replies. Last time I also packed a sports coat for the Smart Casual nights and they didn’t happen. I’ll take a sports coat only this time to save suit case space as being a larger build (ok fat), the clothes (suits) take more space 🤣

1 hour ago, AP1959 said:

Thanks for the replies. Last time I also packed a sports coat for the Smart Casual nights and they didn’t happen. I’ll take a sports coat only this time to save suit case space as being a larger build (ok fat), the clothes (suits) take more space 🤣

Yeah it's changed no longer have all 7 nites being Formal, Semi-Formal or Smart Casual. First cruised when was required just for Dinner's: 1 Suit, 1 Tux, 1 Sport Coat, 4 slacks, 7 Dress Shirts, 7 white T-shirts and pairs Dress Sox, 2pr Dress Shoes and 2-3 belts....Does save on luggage space and cost. But back in mid-80's wife had me in a Speedo. Some changes are for the better...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 1

We always make an effort to dress to impress on formal nights.  I used to wear a dark suit and tie but now feel more comfortable in slacks, a tie and a blazer.  We do this on formal nights for either the MDR or speciality dining.  IMHO,  you owe some respect to your fellow travellers to certainly avoid sloppy or casual clothing on formal nights, most especially in the MDR. I mean you will only stand out by not joining in...and seriously, who really wants that?

Edited by IslandHopperPro
  • Like 1

Oh I intend to dress as best as I can, but was just asking if a suit was really necessary to pack for only 2 formal nights.  Thought it might be easier with a lighter jacket and tie.  I’m cruising this weekend and have started packing already.  I think the suit will just fit.  I don’t want to carry the larger suitcase.  Thanks for your advice. 

When I took a full-on black suit, I put it in a suit bag which was then an extra burden.  I then started taking a linen blend blazer and folded it as best I could into my suit case. Yes, linen can crush and crease but my stateroom attendant could organise to have it pressed splendidly if needed! Just make sure he gets it soon after you board.  So, this is my preferred strategy now to deal with formal nights.  Enjoy your cruise!

I too took a linen jacket last time and got it pressed. Cost me about $10AUS to press it and never wore it. I wore the suit on the formal nights but they didn’t have the advertised smart casual nights. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Ovation on Saturday and although there were two formal nights I saw one tux and not even that many suits. Many more women were dressed up than Men. I wore dress slacks and a dress shirt on formal nights and was dressed better than most. Throughout  the cruise I was pretty was shocked how many T-shirts, shorts and flip flops I saw in the dining rooms. I wore long pants but frankly would prefer shorts.

• Like 1

I just got off Ovation today.  Same thing.  Not many suits. More men with shorts than suits.  And forget Smart casual nights. Felt overdressed in a jacket.  I’ll save some 

luggage space next time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AP1959 said:

I just got off Ovation today.  Same thing.  Not many suits. More men with shorts than suits.  And forget Smart casual nights. Felt overdressed in a jacket.  I’ll save some 

luggage space next time. 

Could not agree with you more. Ran out of shorts and had too many pairs of pants.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were on the Harmony in January.  We have been cruising for the last 20 years.  We ladies gussy up every night, not necessarily formal dresses but something a step above "church" clothing.  Our guys wear suits on formal nights and usually a dress shirt and slacks the other evenings.  I saw a table (every night actually) of 10.  The women looked like they stepped off the runway,  the guys wore t-shirts and jeans most nights (they looked very inappropriate)

I saw similar too.  At least the men should wear a business shirt (and tie) on a formal night.  Pacific cruises in summer get too warm to wear jackets for dinner. I hated seeing shorts and caps on formal nights.  They should just have Smart casual nights on these cruises.

As the number of Aussies cruising increased, the crew seem to have gotten tired of trying to stop the many wearing t-shirts, shorts, and less (which is a pretty thankless and painful job), and just gave up.

And then when other passengers who did dress more formally saw that, it just made them feel out of place or not need to bother, so the standards fell.

Edited by The_Big_M
  • Like 1