Help us decide, please!

twoboys

We were on a Windstar for the Sicilian Splendors a few years ago and it was fantastic!  We were on one of the old Seaborne ships, I think it was the Star Breeze. The service, the food, the other passengers and the cabin were amazing.  We were also on the second voyage of the Seaborne Quest and we loved that as well. We are not considering a cruise on one of the sailing  ships. I have been on many cruises but I have NEVER not had a balcony. This, along with the small size of the regular cabins, is making us hesitant to book.  While the idea of a suite is nice because of the size, there is still no balcony and once we pay that much we might as well go back on Seaborne.  I would love to hear from folks who love a balcony but still choose the sailing ships anyway. Also it is hard to tell from the photos if the cabins are as nice on the Surf as they are on the Seaborne ships. Are they?  Thank you

I haven't been on Seabourne, but I've done many cruises with a balcony and honestly didnt miss it on the Surf from our recent sailing two weeks ago; also our first sailing with Windstar and we loved it. The "oceanview" cabin on the Windsurf had more usable space and storage than the balcony cabins we normally sail in with Celebrity. We also found ourselves out and about on the ship; up at the yacht club, out on the open decks, etc. We have booked the Star Legend as our next WS cruise and contemplated a balcony but went with oceanview instead as we didn't miss the balcony as much as I thought we would. We may change that later on but we're fine with a window.

• Like 1

The beautiful motor yachts and the incredible sailing yachts should not be compared Sail/Motor. Different beings! We have experienced both. 

We love the sailing ships and honestly that is the preference. Huge amounts of deck space, nooks and crannies  for private space, never feels crowded. Great yacht club, better lounge, better Compasd Rose bar space. Better Candles space. The cabins have terrific storage as sailboats need to have, very comfortable. The bathrooms have the best water pressure of any place we have ever stayed/been.  Better viewing space on deck. Better sail away experience.  We certainly enjoyed our Star Breeze experience but our heart is in the sails. The Caribbean, Panama Canal, Costa Rica, Mediterranean and Southern  Europe absolutely sailing. Northern Europe, Northern North America definitely the motor yachts. This is our preference. We just completed our 24th, we love the experiences. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 1

We love both the sailing ships and the motor yachts.  My recollection is that the standard Windsurf cabins are very similar, if not the same as on the other two smaller sailing ships, so not the same size as the former Seabourn ship standard rooms.   It doesn’t bother us at all, as everything is so well laid out, plus we like to spend our time upstairs on deck.  I’m told that some of the motor yachts have a tiny ‘juliet’ balcony, but hav’nt seen these.

In any case all 3 motor yachts are going into dry dock for a big overhaul this year, so who knows, they might get balconies.  We always go for a balcony on Seabourn, but somehow we don’t feel the need on Windstar.  Bottom line -  don’t miss out, do try the sailing ships, they are lovely and very special.  Despite the lack of balconies Windstar remains our favorite line.

The Wind Surf is spectacular and needs no balcony. There is so much beautiful outdoor space and really is much like a private yacht. The standard cabins are not as large as the Star class motor ships but laid out beautifully. The suites on deck 3 are fantastic with 2 bathrooms. We have been on all 6 ships multiple times and sail based on itinerary when we want to go somewhere new but out hearts belong to the Surf! There is magic in those sails.

Windsurf has windows in the cabins? 🙂

We spend our time on deck- so much room, you can get private space in the Surf as well.

Once every cruise my wife and I order room service and have it delivered to the top deck, where we enjoy a private dinner just the two of us!

As for the cabins themselves, they are very spacious and lots of storage places.

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve done cruises where we have had a balcony and have just returned from a Seabourn Cruise that had the suite rooms, the suites are great, but honestly when we sailed on the Windstar Surf (Italy/Croatia) didn’t miss the balcony one bit....can’t wait to get back on this yacht, it was fantastic!

I'm reading between the lines of your OP, but having been on several WIndstar sail ships and several of their motor yachts, it's clear to me that you should not book any suite on the sailing ships. We certainly enjoyed our sail trips, but we love the spaciousness of the motor yacht suites - and I think they are slightly better air conditioned. I'm only 5'-7" tall, and I can imagine a tall person hating the shower stalls and similar issues on the sailing ships. Having said that, I've seen both passengers and hotel crew having to bend their heads to get out of the Veranda restaurant to the outdoor seating on the motor yachts!

I do think that the first factor in selecting a cruise should be the destinations, not the cabins, however.

We just returned from our 7th Windstar cruise (all Caribbean itineraries). We did our first 3 on the Wind Surf and Wind Star, we switched for the next 3 on the Yachts (Star Pride and Star Legend). We now went back to the Surf and as far as the room is concerned, while I liked the size of the yacht suites, we really did not miss it as we were in our room to sleep and change before cocktails . The same would apply for a Mediterranean cruise.  Having a balcony may make more sense in cold climate cruises

29 minutes ago, Misty Morning said:

We just returned from our 7th Windstar cruise (all Caribbean itineraries). We did our first 3 on the Wind Surf and Wind Star, we switched for the next 3 on the Yachts (Star Pride and Star Legend). We now went back to the Surf and as far as the room is concerned, while I liked the size of the yacht suites, we really did not miss it as we were in our room to sleep and change before cocktails . The same would apply for a Mediterranean cruise.  Having a balcony may make more sense in cold climate cruises

I agree that the balcony was well worth it on our Star Legend Alaska cruise, but I never missed it on the sailing ships.  Many of my best photos were taken from the balcony in Alaska.

• 4 weeks later...

Love Windstar. Windsurf is beautiful. Nothing can compare to the experience of sailing with the wind.  No balconies is not a problem. You can be outside quickly.  Balcony cabins are overrated. I often find ocean view cabins on other lines sell out quickly.  On big ships, there are few ocean views compared to veranda cabins.  Cabins on Windsurf are well organized. They have lots of good storage. I also like having 2 closets.  I also like the Star type motor yachts. Cabins are huge. Again, I opt for a cabin with no balcony. Balcony cabins are only a window that opens. Size wise, S and BS cabins are same size. 

15 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I also like the Star type motor yachts. Cabins are huge. Again, I opt for a cabin with no balcony. Balcony cabins are only a window that opens. Size wise, S and BS cabins are same size. 

Planning a booking on the enlarged Star Legend and debating between OV and Balcony.  They are all listed as the same size (277 sf) but looking at pictures of the outside of the ship it seems that the outside of the balcony on the deck 5 cabins lines up with the window of the deck 4 cabins – so does that mean that the OVs are actually slightly larger?

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Planning a booking on the enlarged Star Legend and debating between OV and Balcony.  They are all listed as the same size (277 sf) but looking at pictures of the outside of the ship it seems that the outside of the balcony on the deck 5 cabins lines up with the window of the deck 4 cabins – so does that mean that the OVs are actually slightly larger?

The balcony is a Juliet (aka French) balcony. It is slightly over 1 foot deep. It doesn't have any significant square footage. The OV and Balcony cabins are the same size. 

The rooms on the sailing vessels are quite spacious.  I echo that a balcony is not needed.  The open deck layout and the fact that the deck is never crowded you will not miss a balcony.  On bigger ships I always opt for balcony to escape the crowds.  I have never felt the need to do this on the any windstar vessel.  Personally Wind Spirit and Wind star seem to be the least crowded except during the Deck BBQ - then they all feel crowded.

You already like the small ship experience, I would suggest that you give  the sailboats a try.