Flu on Anthem of the Seas

17 hours ago, ggtjr said:

Tis is why people should get insurance. Get verification of quarantine from medical staff and that should be proof for reimbursement of prepaid dining packages and such.

The other way to look at it is that the packages are not a huge amount of money. If I could not afford to lose that money then I would not spend it in the first place. I am sure insurance companies love people that insure for every possible loss that they might ever incur. That is how they make money.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

So we finally got out of quarantine about an hour and a half ago. Finally! 

I think I mentioned earlier that they were going to refund my prepaid dining package for the portions we didn’t use. I originally paid $136 for a 3 night dining package, plus a buy one get one package for $99. A total of $236. We ate in 3 specialty restaurants. This morning they agreed to refund the buy one get one but instead refunded the 3 night dining package and then charged me for the full meal at Izumi as if we had no package. Which is ridiculous because we DID have a package. On top of that. Our bill at Izumi was $76 minus the $70 included in the package. But now they’ve reprinted the receipt with an added service charge that raised the price to $88. So now we’re paying a total of $188 for 3 specialty meals even though I prepaid for a 3 night package for $136. 

I have been trying to fix it for 2 hours now. Guest services sent me to wonderland and then wonderland sent me to guest services and now guest services is back on the phone with wonderland. They are trying to fix the bill discrepancy but absolutely refuse to honor my 3 night dining package that I paid for in advance. 

Now this I am rather pissed about. I don’t think its right. But seems there’s nothing I can do about it. 

In the end we saved a whopping $26 on our meals even though we bought a much more steeply discounted package. 

Sorry about the run around. The more I follow the Royal Caribbean board the more I regret booking. I usually enjoy the pre cruise planning as much as the cruise but it’s becoming a full time job just to keep up with their pricing. This may be my last cruise with them just based on that. I will probably go back to Celebrity or Princess after this. We are at the age where we don’t travel with young children anymore so we don’t need all of the activities that are provided on Royal Caribbean. The only plus is that they sail from Cape Liberty which would be my only reason for consideration. 

Sorry your trip turned out the way it did hope all are feeling better.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Sorry about the run around. The more I follow the Royal Caribbean board the more I regret booking. I usually enjoy the pre cruise planning as much as the cruise but it’s becoming a full time job just to keep up with their pricing. This may be my last cruise with them just based on that. I will probably go back to Celebrity or Princess after this. We are at the age where we don’t travel with young children anymore so we don’t need all of the activities that are provided on Royal Caribbean. The only plus is that they sail from Cape Liberty which would be my only reason for consideration. 

Sorry your trip turned out the way it did hope all are feeling better.

This was our first cruise with Royal Caribbean. I wasn’t put off by anything until this last bit. I really think the way they handled it was poor. When I was trying to work it out with guest services the guy was very patronizing and said to me “Don’t you understand that we refunded you the 3 night package because you got more back than you would have with the buy one get one package?” But then they charged me $88, so I didn’t get back $136 like they kept saying. I got back $46. They could not seem to understand that I wouldn’t have had to pay the $88 if they had left the 3 night package. 

Then when I asked him if they were going to fix the incorrect price of the meal that was supposed to be $76 (that is how much the bill was for and I had the receipt to prove it) he said “since we already charged your account, no, we are not going to fix it”. At that point I walked away. I don’t know how they can get away charging me $12.50 more for a meal than what the meal actually cost and what was reflected on the bill they gave me. 

On top of not getting my medical paperwork after asking asking for it 7 times, I  had to chase it down myself at 5:40 am this morning. At that time guest services told me I didn’t need it because they didn’t charge me but I’d already told them repeatedly that I needed it for my travel insurance, which covers trip interruption due to sickness. 

I left with a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I doubt it will deter me from booking them again because in the big picture they were small things. But they were rather ridiculous and unreasonable. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

This was our first cruise with Royal Caribbean. I wasn’t put off by anything until this last bit. I really think the way they handled it was poor. When I was trying to work it out with guest services the guy was very patronizing and said to me “Don’t you understand that we refunded you the 3 night package because you got more back than you would have with the buy one get one package?” But then they charged me $88, so I didn’t get back $136 like they kept saying. I got back $46. They could not seem to understand that I wouldn’t have had to pay the $88 if they had left the 3 night package. 

Then when I asked him if they were going to fix the incorrect price of the meal that was supposed to be $76 (that is how much the bill was for and I had the receipt to prove it) he said “since we already charged your account, no, we are not going to fix it”. At that point I walked away. I don’t know how they can get away charging me $12.50 more for a meal than what the meal actually cost and what was reflected on the bill they gave me. 

On top of not getting my medical paperwork after asking asking for it 7 times, I  had to chase it down myself at 5:40 am this morning. At that time guest services told me I didn’t need it because they didn’t charge me but I’d already told them repeatedly that I needed it for my travel insurance, which covers trip interruption due to sickness. 

I left with a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I doubt it will deter me from booking them again because in the big picture they were small things. But they were rather ridiculous and unreasonable. 

Did you take it up with the GS manager on up to Hotel director like I suggested?  If so, and it ended this way, I would definitely be taking it up with the Miami office when you return home and get settled.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

Did you take it up with the GS manager on up to Hotel director like I suggested?  If so, and it ended this way, I would definitely be taking it up with the Miami office when you return home and get settled.  

Wheni was talking with guest services I didn’t think to specifically ask for the hotel director. But I did ask several times to speak to a manager. When they and wonderland told me they didn’t have the authority to fix the problem, I repeatedly asked “who does?” and asked to speak with them. I said multiple times there has to be someone who can fix this. They refused to budge or let me speak to anyone else. 

We are somewhat amateur cruisers so I’m not completely up to speed with the workings and who I should ask for. I know you mentioned the hotel director but that was before this specific issue (originally they agreed to the refund over the phone) and I wasn’t thinking about it by the time I got out of quarantine. But I do appreciate that you suggested that. 

1 hour ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Very normal service experience with RCI!:classic_rolleyes:

They just can't do any better....:classic_wacko:

1 hour ago, aflyingbuttress said:

I'm still twisted by the bottled water situation. It just speaks volumes about their customer service. My opinion is probably skewed because I have been cruising since 1986 on multiple cruise lines . While I understand the deterioration of the MDR and other necessary cut backs that are apparent on all cruise lines, it cost them nothing to provide good customer service. Maybe their ships are just too large now to provide such service or maybe the complaints out number the staff  that they have to handle them. Either way you didn't leave on a positive note. 

3 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

‘lol oh my god, I hope that’s not true. 

Your experince totally matches up with what I have experienced and seen over the years with RCI!

I do not understand all the praise that RCI gets for service  from the cheerleaders on this board...:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm still twisted by the bottled water situation. It just speaks volumes about their customer service. My opinion is probably skewed because I have been cruising since 1986 on multiple cruise lines . While I understand the deterioration of the MDR and other necessary cut backs that are apparent on all cruise lines, it cost them nothing to provide good customer service. Maybe their ships are just too large now to provide such service or maybe the complaints out number the staff  that they have to handle them. Either way you didn't leave on a positive note. 

You are right. That made me angry too. I almost forgot about it. I agree with you that excellent customer service would cost nothing. I couldn’t believe they would nickel and dime me after we missed nearly 4 days of our cruise. I wasn’t asking for much. I did not ask them for one iota of compensation. Just for the packages I prepaid for to be honored and, if not that, then to at least be charged the same amount on the bill they gave me. 

Edited by aflyingbuttress
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Your experince totally matches up with what I have experienced and seen over the years with RCI!

I do not understand all the praise that RCI gets for service  from the cheerleaders on this board...:classic_rolleyes:

Well, that is unfortunate. Based on the experience of others, I thought perhaps ours was unusual. We sailed Celebrity years ago and they were great. I think we will try them again. Or do a Disney Cruise while our daughter is still young. 

Well, that is unfortunate. Based on the experience of others, I thought perhaps ours was unusual. We sailed Celebrity years ago and they were great. I think we will try them again. Or do a Disney Cruise while our daughter is still young. 

No - it was just a honest review.......many will just let it go and forgive all the C*** they do with their les than mediocre service....

Just one more example - search for the scam they do with their coffee card.....it says a LOT about their service attitude - when they change the rules as they like and/ or will argue with a cutomer about a coffee shot!

How low can you go.....:classic_rolleyes:👎

23 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

No - it was just a honest review.......many will just let it go and forgive all the C*** they do with their les than mediocre service....

Just one more example - search for the scam they do with their coffee card.....it says a LOT about their service attitude - when they change the rules as they like and/ or will argue with a cutomer about a coffee shot!

How low can you go.....:classic_rolleyes:👎

We were on line behind someone with a coffee card and I they were told one punch for a small, two for medium, three for large. I thought it was ridiculous. We almost bought the card and I’m glad I didn’t. I’d have been so annoyed. They don’t even have that many “specialty” coffee drinks. Maybe 5? I expected more variety to be included. 

34 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Do Disney, she won’t be young forever. Plenty of time to sail Celebrity when you are old and the kids have moved away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OceanBlue123 said:

Do Disney, she won’t be young forever. Plenty of time to sail Celebrity when you are old and the kids have moved away.

Someone mentioned it to us onboard. I never realized, but they said Disney was all inclusive. So no add-one. Had I known that before I booked, I probably would have chosen them to begin with. I assumed it was a premium price and then more for everything else on top of that. 

52 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

You are right. That made me angry too. I almost forgot about it. I agree with you that excellent customer service would cost nothing. I couldn’t believe they would nickel and dime me after we missed nearly 4 days of our cruise. I wasn’t asking for much. I did not ask them for one iota of compensation. Just for the packages I prepaid for to be honored and, if not that, then to at least be charged the same amount on the bill they gave me. 

I suggest you get a good night sleep and then summarize your week in a detailed email (sans emotion and small details) and send it to Michael Bayley's office.  

Edit - hope you all are feeling better!

Edited by PhoenixCruiser

10 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Someone mentioned it to us onboard. I never realized, but they said Disney was all inclusive. So no add-one. Had I known that before I booked, I probably would have chosen them to begin with. I assumed it was a premium price and then more for everything else on top of that. 

I am not sure what you mean. Every mass market cruise line has add ons you can opt for. For example, Disney has some high end specialty dining you can pay for — if you want an upgrade over their very nice MDR’s. What did you mean by all inclusive?

Edited by OceanBlue123

7 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I suggest you get a good night sleep and then summarize your week in a detailed email (sans emotion and small details) and send it to Michael Bayley's office.  

Edit - hope you all are feeling better!

‘I don’t know who Michael Bayley is. I’m assume an RCI exec of some sort. How to I get the contact info?

7 minutes ago, OceanBlue123 said:

I am not sure what you mean. Every mass market cruise line has add ons you can opt for. For example, Disney has some high end specialty dining you can pay for — if you want an upgrade over their very nice MDR’s. What did you mean by all inclusive?

They told me that all drinks were included and it sounded like all dining too, but not that you’re saying that, perhaps I misunderstood them. We were at the character breakfast, which we paid we paid extra for, so perhaps that’s the kind of thing they meant. 

They told me that all drinks were included and it sounded like all dining too, but not that you’re saying that, perhaps I misunderstood them. We were at the character breakfast, which we paid we paid extra for, so perhaps that’s the kind of thing they meant. 

Specialty dining, fancy coffees, character meals were extra. Standing in line to get character signatures was free. All shows, MDR, buffets were included, but that is similar to other cruise lines. It is quite possible to enjoy a cruise without paying for any extras, but to truly get all-inclusive you would have to go a lot higher than Disney or RCL.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

We were on line behind someone with a coffee card and I they were told one punch for a small, two for medium, three for large. I thought it was ridiculous. We almost bought the card and I’m glad I didn’t. I’d have been so annoyed. They don’t even have that many “specialty” coffee drinks. Maybe 5? I expected more variety to be included. 

They advertise ALL coffee's ONE punch ....when you buy online....3 punches is more than buying without the card!:classic_wacko:👎😱

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Last week on Adventure the was an issue with the people in the adjacent cabin. I went to Guest Services to discuss it. They immediately got a rep and security officer to go back to the cabin with me and they took care of the issue. The rep called me a couple if times during the week to make sure the issue was not recurring and also sent me a bottle of wine. I could not have been more pleased with the response and concern that RCI staff showed.

I do agree that the coffee card issue is quite bogus.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Last week on Adventure the was an issue with the people in the adjacent cabin. I went to Guest Services to discuss it. They immediately got a rep and security officer to go back to the cabin with me and they took care of the issue. The rep called me a couple if times during the week to make sure the issue was not recurring and also sent me a bottle of wine. I could not have been more pleased with the response and concern that RCI staff showed.

Very hard to belive....but I guess there can be some exeptions!👍

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:47 AM, reallyitsmema said:

We always have insurance so we are covered. The captain made an announcement that consultations were free in an attempt to get people to go get checked out. It was clearly explained to us that we would be charged if we chose to see a doctor.  Due to pre existing conditions, we chose to see a doctor, even though the nurse was just giving us DayQuils which neither of us can take. Test proved we made the correct call. 

How much does a consultation cost, otherwise?