Flu on Anthem of the Seas

Hopefully all the people who had out of pocket medical expenses have taken out insurance, or have coverage through their own medical insurance. 

Received treatment for an accidental injury several years ago and found the medical staff (doctors and nurses) to be excellent. I believe that they are contracted employees. 

It is always very unfortunate when people are ill on vacation; however, I never feel that any one is to blame.  I can never really understand why some people think compensation should be offered.   Regrettably sometimes things happen and it’s hard to “blame “ any one.  

Hope everyone one gets well soon. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Hopefully all the people who had out of pocket medical expenses have taken out insurance, or have coverage through their own medical insurance. 

Received treatment for an accidental injury several years ago and found the medical staff (doctors and nurses) to be excellent. I believe that they are contracted employees. 

It is always very unfortunate when people are ill on vacation; however, I never feel that any one is to blame.  I can never really understand why some people think compensation should be offered.   Regrettably sometimes things happen and it’s hard to “blame “ any one.  

Good advise. Insurance that has coverage for out of Country/Cruise and pay for missed days while staying in Cabin. Back 20+ years ago when I first made Diamond it was Top Tier. We'd get a Formal get together with Capt and all Department Heads. Was sitting there talking with ship Doctor. He had retired from Job he did for years on shore and he was currently a Contract Employee... Flu, Noro, Ten's of Millions get them and It's time of year and is in schools and on every Cruise Ship. Feel for everyone, had Noro once, not on a ship but was down and didn't leave home for a week. Did loose 12 pounds though

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

It's the season.  If a passenger is sick and lies to the cruise line upon embarkation that they are not sick, they will infect passengers. It happens every year.  There is nothing the cruise line can do but take all the bad press and be blamed.  Sad but true.

4 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

Very true and sad.  RC probably has lots of cleaning going on that they are probably doing great at.  The situation was not their fault.

People do not necessarily have to lie at embarkation to bring it aboard. You can be asymptomatic for the first 24-36 hours after infection. Also, there are some that can have the flu virus, and never have symptoms.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So if your child gets sick at school and has to stay home does the school excuse her from the school work she misses.  It stinks to get sick while on vacation but why should it be up to Royal to compensate anyone who gets sick.  You could have brought it on with you instead of the person who was in front of you or behind you when boarding.  Maybe your little girl brought it with her from school.  Why do we always expect something when something bad happens.  If you had a perfect time on your cruise and everything went as you planned and expected would you offer Royal extra money because they provided the perfect vacation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

So if your child gets sick at school and has to stay home does the school excuse her from the school work she misses.  It stinks to get sick while on vacation but why should it be up to Royal to compensate anyone who gets sick.  You could have brought it on with you instead of the person who was in front of you or behind you when boarding.  Maybe your little girl brought it with her from school.  Why do we always expect something when something bad happens.  If you had a perfect time on your cruise and everything went as you planned and expected would you offer Royal extra money because they provided the perfect vacation.

I completely understand your point, but some people also pay for extras such as dining and beverage packages that are not able to be used due to being sick.  People could complain about these kind of factors then Royal could have a disturbed image, causing them to loose guests.  Royal needs to upkeep a good public image, which is why they compensate.  Therefore, your logic makes complete sense, but the industry adds a business aspect to it, which changes the logic used.

8 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

It is always very unfortunate when people are ill on vacation; however, I never feel that any one is to blame. I can never really understand why some people think compensation should be offered. Regrettably sometimes things happen and its hard to blame any one.

I agree! Far too many people get that entitlement, compensation, refund attitude so quickly. In this situation refunds of any kind are not warranted whatsoever. While quarantined they are compensated. They are compensated with unlimited complimentary room service on anything from the menu, food can be ordered from the main dining room & unlimited complimentary movies are given.

Additionally, if a quarantined passenger simply asks guest services they will also be compensated with internet as well. But they typically have to request that. Complimentary internet isn't just given, has to be requested. 

5,000 people on a cruise ship during flu season, of course some people are going to get sick. It doesn't even have to be flu season. Cruise ships are floating cities.

I'm sorry for those that are sick, BUT the title to this post alone makes it sound as if hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of passengers on Anthem are sick with the flu, and that is NOT the case. This is not widespread.

🌴

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Absolutely - it is not  prison! 🙄

Why does everyone have to turn a simple sentence into something that was never meant. I don’t expect them to treat it like a prison. My point was only that they are letting people out of quarantine before they’d no longer be contagious. I didn’t put any value on whether that was right or wrong. Just a statement of fact. 

12 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

I agree! Far too many people get that entitlement, compensation, refund attitude so quickly. In this situation refunds of any kind are not warranted whatsoever. While quarantined they are compensated. They are compensated with unlimited complimentary room service on anything from the menu, food can be ordered from the main dining room & unlimited complimentary movies are given.

Additionally, if a quarantined passenger simply asks guest services they will also be compensated with internet as well. But they typically have to request that. Complimentary internet isn't just given, has to be requested. 

5,000 people on a cruise ship during flu season, of course some people are going to get sick. It doesn't even have to be flu season. Cruise ships are floating cities.

I'm sorry for those that are sick, BUT the title to this post alone makes it sound as if hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of passengers on Anthem are sick with the flu, and that is NOT the case. This is not widespread. 

🌴

‘I think some sort of compensation would be nice, but as I mentioned before, not expected, nor will I even ask for any from them or make a stink about it. 

As to your point about what compensation is available, they never told us any of that except we can order from room service. I had no idea we could get free movies or order from the dining room. We already had internet so it wasn’t a problem, but had we not had it, it never would have occurred to me to ask for it. 

Honestly, if they had told me ANY of that, it would have gone a long way. But they didn’t. This is my first Royal Caribbean cruise and I’m not exactly a hard core cruiser. I’ve been on 3 cruises the past 10 years, all different lines. People can’t be expected to just know this stuff. Someone needs to inform them. Someone from the ship, not someone from cruise critic, because there’s no telling whether someone comes here or not. 

I’m not sure how many people on the Anthem are sick, but it’s at least 50. Over two trips to medical we saw that many people with our own eyes who were sick. How many more are there that we didn’t see? Still not saying it’s anyones fault, but it’s not only a handful of people either. 

Edited by aflyingbuttress
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Thank you.  Anthem is sailing from a northern port during peak of flu season.  Feel bad for those affected, but really not that surprising. 

Do you think NY/NJ has more flu than Florida or most other states in the country?

You'd be wrong

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Do you think NY/NJ has more flu than Florida or most other states in the country?

You'd be wrong

So very true.

People must also think about the flying petri dishes that bring passengers to Northern or Southern ports from all over the world.

59 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Op paid for the drink package. I think that Royal Caribbean  should make an exception  and deliver the water and cocktails if desired  to quarantined passengers. It doesn't make sense that they will only deliver it if she pays for it. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 4

We are presently on the ship.  Noticed shortly after we boarded that there were a lot of people coughing.  Lots of colds on board.  DH feels like he may be coming down with a cold.  Hope it's not the flu.  We did have the heavy duty flu shot.  DD di get the flu although she had the flu shot too.  A crew member told me that our delay entering Nassau was because of illness on board.  they almost didn't allow us off the ship.  There were 3 other ships  in at the time.

2 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Sheesh!! Good grief.....

🤔       🤔         🤔

Oh, is that not allowed? I’m not allowed to think it would be nice. If they did give it to me should I have no reaction? No thoughts about whether that was nice or not?

As I said, it’s not expected and I’m not going to ask for anything and I won’t be upset if I don’t get any. Not sure why it’s a problem to think getting it would be nice. 

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Op paid for the drink package. I think that Royal Caribbean  should make an exception  and deliver the water and cocktails if desired  to quarantined passengers. It doesn't make sense that they will only deliver it if she pays for it. 

Yes. This. Thank you. 

11 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

We did take out insurance. We need paperwork from the onboard doctor to have our trip covered. We’ve asked for it twice and we’re told it wasn’t ready. They said it’ll be ready by tonight but originally they said it would be ready yesterday. Hopefully we’ll be able to get it during their open hours this evening. After that they’re closed for good. 

40 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

We did take out insurance. We need paperwork from the onboard doctor to have our trip covered. We’ve asked for it twice and we’re told it wasn’t ready. They said it’ll be ready by tonight but originally they said it would be ready yesterday. Hopefully we’ll be able to get it during their open hours this evening. After that they’re closed for good. 

We have multiple experiences with on board medical. The paperwork has always been deliver to our cabin on the last day of the cruise! 

4 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

BUT the title to this post alone makes it sound as if hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of passengers on Anthem are sick with the flu, and that is NOT the case. This is not widespread.

I am so sorry if the connotation to the title of the forum makes it seem so widespread, I was only curious on what was going on.  

8 minutes ago, Allura_317 said:

I am so sorry if the connotation to the title of the forum makes it seem so widespread, I was only curious on what was going on.  

I don’t think it does. The title is “Flu on Anthem of the Seas”. Which is true. It’s not like it says “Flu Running Rampant on Anthem of the Seas”. 

The nurse at at the doctors office did say that they’ve been seeing patients through the night and are completely backed up. So there are a lot of people with the flu. 

• Thanks 1