Flu on Anthem of the Seas

It was brought up in the "No AC on Anthem of the Seas" thread that the flu is currently spreading on the Anthem.  I wanted to start a new thread about this to find out more.  If you are currently on Anthem, I would appreciate to hear your current experience, thanks.  Here is the last post on the no AC thread:

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have heard nothing about refunds or FCC and we are quarantined. An announcement was made yesterday saying a consultation at medical was no charge but that seems to only be for those who got otc meds from the triage nurse. If you saw a doctor, you were charged. 

11 minutes ago, Allura_317 said:

It was brought up in the "No AC on Anthem of the Seas" thread that the flu is currently spreading on the Anthem.  I wanted to start a new thread about this to find out more.  If you are currently on Anthem, I would appreciate to hear your current experience, thanks.  Here is the last post on the no AC thread:

We are on Anthem and there is influenza. We were quarantined yesterday so have not seen what is going on. I have read that sanitizing has increased today. We were in medical for about three hours and easily saw more than twenty others while we were waiting. 

11 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We are on Anthem and there is influenza. We were quarantined yesterday so have not seen what is going on. I have read that sanitizing has increased today. We were in medical for about three hours and easily saw more than twenty others while we were waiting. 

I hope you have a speedy recovery, sorry to hear this.  Do you know if the entertainment staff are handling food at the Windjammer as they did on the Oasis when they had noro? Or how many are sick? 

10 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

In before someone says “the ship is cursed”. 

Yes, dealing with all the folks from Jersey and NY....  it is a curse.  :classic_biggrin:😈... I think we have found the common denominator of the curse.  

JC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

In before someone says “the ship is cursed”. 

Thank you.  Anthem is sailing from a northern port during peak of flu season.  Feel bad for those affected, but really not that surprising. 

• Like 2

It's the season.  If a passenger is sick and lies to the cruise line upon embarkation that they are not sick, they will infect passengers. It happens every year.  There is nothing the cruise line can do but take all the bad press and be blamed.  Sad but true.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

It's the season.  If a passenger is sick and lies to the cruise line upon embarkation that they are not sick, they will infect passengers. It happens every year.  There is nothing the cruise line can do but take all the bad press and be blamed.  Sad but true.

Very true and sad.  RC probably has lots of cleaning going on that they are probably doing great at.  The situation was not their fault.

My daughter and I are both sick. I woke with a bit of a cough on Wednesday morning. I didn’t think much of it until Wednesday afternoon when my chest started burning. At that point I self-quarantined and went to our cabin hoping I’d feel better. My daughter then came back from the kids club that afternoon complaining of a severe headache. We all stayed in for the night and the next morning we woke up feeling worse.

My daughter threw up so we went to the doctor that morning to get her seen. We arrived at around 7:15 and since it was before open hours they wanted to charge us an extra $75 to be seen. We decided to return to our room and see how we felt later. By the afternoon I was pretty convinced I had the flu. My daughter hadn’t thrown up again but she was still complaining about stomach pains so we went back to the doctor around 5:20 PM.

when we arrived the waiting room was full. They triaged quickly but it was a pretty long wait to see the doctor. While we were waiting someone came in and said that they made an announcement that anyone having flu symptoms should get seen. They probably triaged another 20 or so people while we were waiting. 

‘When we were triaged, I was told my daughter was required to see the doctor but it would be complimentary. They gave me the option and I chose to see him because I knew I had the flu and I was hoping for some relief. I was charged a total of $276 for my visit, including medication. 

They swabbed my nose and confirmed i have influenza A and gave me 4 doses of tamiflu. The doctor told me they only had 18 doses left, so not enough for the whole ship. Yikes! I feel bad for the people who got there after me because I was totally wrecked last night and I think the medicine has made this at least bearable. 

‘My daughter was given something for her stomach pain and ibuprofen for fever and we were quarantined to our cabin for a minimum of 24 hours. Someone came back around a couple hours ago and checked our temps. We still have fevers so we are quarantined until the end. In total, we’ve missed 3 1/2 days of our cruise. 

They are waiving the room room service fee, but they have nothing on the menu that my daughter was recommended to eat by the doctor for her belly. She’s pretty much starving and existing only on bananas and the only plain rice my husband could find in windjammers. We asked for water and we were told there would be a charge because it’s not included in room service which, frankly, I find outrageous! If I’m quarantined, they need to give me free water. Especially since I have a beverage package that includes it. Thankfully, my husband is not sick and not quarantined, so he can get some stuff, but I don’t know what people are doing if their whole cabin is sick. Probably leaving anyway because they have no choice. 

I’m also a little shocked that even though my daughter was feverish and had just recently thrown up, that they would not see her without charging extra. That felt really irresponsible, especially now that I know they were treating gastro issues for free.

all in all, the whole experience has been frustrating. I don’t blame anyone for us getting sick. But they should have seen my daughter the first time we went. They should have food available to eat that they advise people to eat. And they should be providing us with water.

There has been no talk of refunds or credits. It would be nice, but I’m hardly expecting one. 

45 minutes ago, brookmill18 said:

Everyone is quarantined or just those with symptoms?

Only people who actually saw the doctor and have fevers, I expect. They would have released us from quarantine today if we no longer had fevers, even though I still feel extremely awful and I know the flu is contagious for 7 days. 

1 hour ago, Allura_317 said:

Very true and sad.  RC probably has lots of cleaning going on that they are probably doing great at.  The situation was not their fault.

To be fair, you don't know that.  It could have been brought on by a crew member.

24 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Only people who actually saw the doctor and have fevers, I expect. They would have released us from quarantine today if we no longer had fevers, even though I still feel extremely awful and I know the flu is contagious for 7 days. 

Yes. If it was influenza, you would be contagious for at least 5 days after becoming symptomatic. It would be odd to release people from quarantine that soon. Incubation 1-4 days, people infected today would be off the ship before becoming symptomatic. 

6 minutes ago, Duffys wife 1957 said:

So sorry for those who have gotten sick... 🙁 Hoping you get some sort of compensation!

My gut says nothing is coming if they’re charging people with the flu to see the doctor. But honestly, I feel like if they offered people with no AC compensation they should offer something to us. At least they were still able to visit their ports of call and do things on their vacation. We’ve missed have of our cruise, entirely. We couldn’t go to coco cay, we couldn’t see the shows we booked, we couldn’t swim in the pools or go shopping, we couldn’t go to our specialty dining reservations which we already paid for because we got a package. We also paid for The Key and we’re obviously missing some of those benefits. 

All that said, I do u defat and that the broken ac is their fault, whereas this is not. So it’ll be what it’ll be. I hope we get some, but I won’t throw a stink if we don’t. 

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. If it was influenza, you would be contagious for at least 5 days after becoming symptomatic. It would be odd to release people from quarantine that soon. Incubation 1-4 days, people infected today would be off the ship before becoming symptomatic. 

‘They are, in fact, releasing people with the flu from quarantine. They just called me about 20 minutes ago to ask how we were doing. I told her there was little improvement and she said in that case she can’t lift the quarantine. That tells me that If I had said we felt much better she would have let us leave our cabin. 

22 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Our cabin steward said they’re all given flu shots. She could have meant just cabin stewards, but that seems unlikely. 

Also flu shots are not 100% effective.  According to the CDC:

Flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Also flu shots are not 100% effective.  According to the CDC:

Flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine.

‘That is a good point. 

3 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

I hope you have a speedy recovery, sorry to hear this.  Do you know if the entertainment staff are handling food at the Windjammer as they did on the Oasis when they had noro? Or how many are sick? 

Thanks. Not sure if people are serving in windjammer as we are quarantined and haven’t left. 

58 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

I don’t understand why your daughter is starving, especially since your husband can leave the cabin. We had dinner delivered from the main dining room tonight since we aren’t allowed out. Your husband just has to ask a manager in the mdr or wj for what you need. He should be able to get you water too. 

As as far as people breaking quarantine, we have not and will not. We will just make sure we call and get what we need. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I don’t understand why your daughter is starving, especially since your husband can leave the cabin. We had dinner delivered from the main dining room tonight since we aren’t allowed out. Your husband just has to ask a manager in the mdr or wj for what you need. He should be able to get you water too. 

As as far as people breaking quarantine, we have not and will not. We will just make sure we call and get what we need. 

Well, I had no idea we could get food from the main dining room. You’re the first person to say that to me. They told me to get room service. My husband has gone to windjammer but this morning she was only allowed to have bread, bananas, applesauce, or rice. They only had bananas and bread. My husband asked for the other stuff and they said to order from room service. They did not have either and said to check windjammers. He has gotten her some stuff for dinner at this point but none of it was available through room service. If he wasn’t allowed to leave, she’d have had nothing to eat.

I did mention in my previous post that my husband was able to get us water. We DID call and ask for what we needed but were told they didn’t have it. Obviously your experience has been different than ours. 

Edited by aflyingbuttress