Missed port insurance

2wheelin

Thought I posted this question earlier today but I am not seeing the thread. Apologies if I am just blind.

I have read here that Nationwide Cruise insurance will pay $500-$750 for a missed port on the itinerary. When I look up their policies, all I can find for explanation is that they will pay non-refundable excursion fees. I had a quote from the website but lost it changing computers.

Can anyone confirm how to be sure on this.

I believe the Nationwide Cruise Choice policy has that feature (and perhaps one or two other Nationwide policies). If you go to insuremytrip and run your travel details through it, the Nationwide policies will be options.

Edited by joepeka

Itinerary Changes

Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
    Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
    Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion

from https://travel.nationwide.com/plans/cruise

Edited by shof515

Well that explains why I am not seeing it even though the person at insuremytrip said it was there. I am from MN. Lack of insurance coverage AND 33 degrees below zero. How lucky can we get? Lol

Guess I can go back to the cheap insurance.

13 minutes ago, coevan said:

depends what you mean by missing a port? If you are diverted by weather and they go elsewhere or have a sea day, most excursions including private ones will refund your money. 

only if you cancel within their cancellation schedule, be mindful of that when booking tours. most tour operators i see require at least a 24 hour notice if you need to cancel. If you are on the ship, and the ship says it is too rough to tender in the morning then you are basically screwed with getting any money back.

ship shore excursions is always refundable as onboard credit if the port is missed

Edited by shof515

5 minutes ago, shof515 said:

the ship says it is too rough to tender in the morning then you are basically screwed with getting any money back.

This is not true with any of the major shore excursion companies. Most clearly state if the ship cannot dock or anchor, there will be no charge. The companies I have used for years, you put up a 10% refundable deposit and pay when you go on the tour. They are not out to "screw" you. Their online reputation is everything. 

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

This is not true with any of the major shore excursion companies. Most clearly state if the ship cannot dock or anchor, there will be no charge. The companies I have used for years, you put up a 10% refundable deposit and pay when you go on the tour. They are not out to "screw" you. Their online reputation is everything. 

That has been my experience also. The tour companies depend on good reviews. The really reputable ones have a disclaimer that says there is no charge if the ship does not dock. I always look for a company that does not charge for missed ports.

5 hours ago, coevan said:

Unfortunately, with Tripadvisor/Viator, many of their excursions I've seen have the 24 hour cancellation rule and specifically say that if your ship does not make it, you WILL be charged. :classic_sad:

5 hours ago, scsagh said:

Unfortunately, with Tripadvisor/Viator, many of their excursions I've seen have the 24 hour cancellation rule and specifically say that if your ship does not make it, you WILL be charged. :classic_sad:

When booking a tour through a third party website that doesn’t cater to cruisers - yes.  I think that is an issue. However, there are third party booking sites that cater to cruise excursions and many independent tour companies you can book directly with that will allow for a refund if the ship doesn’t dock. 

13 hours ago, shof515 said:

What’s the deal with excluding some states? Are we residents of those states more resilient and able to deal with the disappointment of misssing a port without compensation? Are we just too humble to expect it? Too rich? HA!

All in jest. NOT insinuating that people who can get this insurance are anything but wonderful. I may have to move.

My question wasn’t about excursions, but thanks for reminding us to check the cancelation requirements when booking a non ship excursion.

15 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Well that explains why I am not seeing it even though the person at insuremytrip said it was there. I am from MN. Lack of insurance coverage AND 33 degrees below zero. How lucky can we get? Lol

Guess I can go back to the cheap insurance.

I inquired about the same option since the poster clearly implied they were refunded $750 for missing ports during the cruise not just reimbursement for prepaid, non refundable excursions.