Do you leave unused toiletries and such behind?

aflyingbuttress

On 2/2/2019 at 12:28 PM, aflyingbuttress said:

Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward? I want to do

this but I’m also wondering if it’s actually just more of a pain for them to deal with than anything.

Do they really keep it or will they just be stuck cleaning up after me? 

If you have any doubts if the steward would want them and would be tossing them if he does not want them, then I suggest that you do what we have done in the past.  Put anything you are leaving behind on a table right near the trash can.  If the steward does not want the items, he(she) can sweep them in the trash. If the steward wants the item he can easily grab them.  In our case we let the steward know the items are for him if he wants them. 

On 2/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, akcruz said:

Not disagreeing but can 100% see where some can say if you open a container and don't finish it, the rest is unused.  The OP would have gotten a much better response if they started off with unopened instead of unused, that's all I am trying to say.  Again unless you are VERY specific, the written word is up for interpretation and in this case there are two valid interpretations.

I would have gotten a much better response of people didn’t feel the need to be abrasive and inflammatory on the internet for no reason. If there was confusion, people could have kindly asked for clarification as opposed to assuming the worst. That’s in them, not my choice of words. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 3:36 PM, jagsfan said:

I take any unopened toiletries from cruises and hotels and when I have a box full, I add  a few deodorants and take them to one of our local homeless shelters or one for abused women. 

It’s an inexpensive way to contribute less to waste and more to people who can use a hand. 

Our local hospital has a Ronald McDonald House, so that's where our sealed extra toiletries go.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Now I am kind of wondering about the dish soap.  Do people really bring their own dish soap and wash dishes in their cabin sink?

I could see bringing dish soap for washing my own personal dishes.  We bring our own insulated tumblers and I've read about people bringing storage containers for left overs from room service or food brought back from the buffet or MDR to keep in the fridge.

I prefer liquid hand soap and could see using dish soap for this too.  In a pinch it could be used for hand washing too.

22 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

I would have gotten a much better response of people didn’t feel the need to be abrasive and inflammatory on the internet for no reason. 

Haha, you must be new to the internet/forums.  :classic_biggrin:

21 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

I always bring them home when they are not opened. I get a little collection together, and then take them to our local women's shelter for them to use when they house people there.

You and some others have posted making these kinds of donations.  Great idea!  

On 2/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Would you use partially used toiletries left in a hotel room by the last guest?

Good question.

I wonder about the refillable dispensers that Holland America and Princess use.  Seems a bit icky to me.  I mean someone else used that dispenser before I was in that room, and they (the room steward) most likely just filled it up again (without cleaning it out), right?

1577527895_bathroom-veendam100_8331.thumb.JPG.b9cc9587c876d96cfb855a1985f70197.JPG

On 2/2/2019 at 1:28 PM, aflyingbuttress said:

Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward? I want to do

this but I’m also wondering if it’s actually just more of a pain for them to deal with than anything.

Do they really keep it or will they just be stuck cleaning up after me? 

They will just throw away anything you have left behind.  

I know I would not want to use somebody's used soaps.

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

They will just throw away anything you have left behind.  

I know I would not want to use somebody's used soaps.

The OP already clarified several times that unused also means unopened in this context, not left-over (also unused since it is still there) open containers.  No one in this thread is suggesting leaving behind open containers that were not provided by the cruise line with the thought that someone would use them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Good question.

I wonder about the refillable dispensers that Holland America and Princess use.  Seems a bit icky to me.  I mean someone else used that dispenser before I was in that room, and they (the room steward) most likely just filled it up again (without cleaning it out), right?

1577527895_bathroom-veendam100_8331.thumb.JPG.b9cc9587c876d96cfb855a1985f70197.JPG

Why?

Unless they opened them up to add something, there is nothing in there except what the steward put in there.

58 minutes ago, SRF said:

Why?

Unless they opened them up to add something, there is nothing in there except what the steward put in there.

I use the gym/spa showers all the time on cruises and every shower has similar type of soap, shampoo and conditioner dispenser. I'll continue without any hesitation. 

Edited by davekathy