Seaside YC Restaurant Dress Code

gmbhardy

On 2/5/2019 at 8:09 PM, gmbhardy said:

I really don’t need people’s opinions on what is appropriate or not, I just want to know if they have a dress code and if they enforce it.

wow - quite a stance given you asked, in an open forum, for advice!

With that in mind here is my experience: We were YC on Seaside last month, I did not see any official dress code quoted nor enforced.

Now for my opinion: Shorts for breakfast/lunch are fine (and saw this regularly). However, if you are considering turn up for dinner service in your shorts and flip flops then you should probably stick to the buffet anyway 👍

• Like 1

Just to say, Jono, that the 'suggested' dress code is always indicated in the Daily Programs, including what's not 'accepted' which is, as follows:

"Tank tops, bathrobes, flip flops and bare feet in any indoor restaurant or buffet areas are not permitted at any time.  No shorts in restaurant for dinner".  (Photos of this have been posted on this forum many times before, including one I posted in the last week or so from the Daily Program, dated Jan 22nd last).

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Just to say, Jono, that the 'suggested' dress code is always indicated in the Daily Programs, including what's not 'accepted' which is, as follows:

"Tank tops, bathrobes, flip flops and bare feet in any indoor restaurant or buffet areas are not permitted at any time.  No shorts in restaurant for dinner".  (Photos of this have been posted on this forum many times before, including one I posted in the last week or so from the Daily Program, dated Jan 22nd last).

Fair point - however I thought that was only for dinner service and not a dress code for breakfast/lunch? But you are correct, there is a code for evening service

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 3:12 PM, gmbhardy said:

Thanks everyone for all your posts. I guess it depends on the mood of the maître’d on any given day. Drink package inclusions are also ambiguous. Not sue I’m going to like MSC.

Dress code enforcement is suspect on many of the mainstream lines.  

FWIW, It matters not to me what anyone else chooses to wear as long as it is not offensive.  

Here in Dallas I have seen men in dress shorts in nice restaurants during dinner.  Especially when over 100 F.

• 7 months later...
On 2/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, graphicguy said:

Been in the YC on the Meriviglia and Divina.  Both enforced a slacks and button shirt with closed toe shoes for the YC restaurant....no exceptions.  My son was turned away trying to get in with sandals.  No hats allowed, either.  Saw someone make a scene because they said they wore a cap because their head got cold in the YC restaurant.  He was turned away, too.

Women there wore dresses and slacks (no jeans) with a button top.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the insights. Was this for all meals?  I’d hate to have to run back and forth all day to dress for meals. I’m good with dressing for dinner. 

5 minutes ago, kevin&randall said:

Thank you for the insights. Was this for all meals?  I’d hate to have to run back and forth all day to dress for meals. I’m good with dressing for dinner. 

We were usually in port for lunch, and we had breakfast in the Top Sail Lounge where they had a continental breakfast set up.  I believe we only at lunch in the YC restaurant on embarkation day.  I don't recall a dress code then.

Have fun!

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, graphicguy said:

Been in the YC on the Meriviglia and Divina.  Both enforced a slacks and button shirt with closed toe shoes for the YC restaurant....no exceptions.  My son was turned away trying to get in with sandals.  No hats allowed, either.  Saw someone make a scene because they said they wore a cap because their head got cold in the YC restaurant.  He was turned away, too.

Women there wore dresses and slacks (no jeans) with a button top.

Hope that helps.

Now that's my kind of cruise dress code: clearly defined and no exceptions whatsoever! 😁 I'm joking somewhat, obviously. Part of me says since people are on vacation, they ought to be comfortable. Trouble is, everyone seems to have a different idea of "comfortable," hence the need for some reasonable rules and to have them followed by staff. 

On 2/7/2019 at 5:14 PM, gmbhardy said:

I just enjoy being comfortable. Nice shorts and sandals are allowed in the Haven dining room so that’s why I asked.

I hear you.  If you're like us, you're going to be more comfortable in the Haven.  Some like that.  Some don't.

I did the shuffling back and forth from the YC to Le Muse restaurant on Divina which were on opposite ends of the ships, with no direct way to get from one to the other.  Not the ideal set up.

We sailed a lot on Disney which (at the time) required dress pants and button down shirt for dinner. Fine. I can handle that.  But breakfast and lunch were casual - shorts, sandals, etc.  As long as YC Restaurant (Seaside, Miami, January) allows casual for all times other than dinner I’m good with that. I’m on vacation. I want to relax and not stress over clothes. 

From what I have been reading the Top Sail lounge allows casual all the time. Am I interpreting that correctly?  

25 minutes ago, kevin&randall said:

We sailed a lot on Disney which (at the time) required dress pants and button down shirt for dinner. Fine. I can handle that.  But breakfast and lunch were casual - shorts, sandals, etc.  As long as YC Restaurant (Seaside, Miami, January) allows casual for all times other than dinner I’m good with that. I’m on vacation. I want to relax and not stress over clothes. 

From what I have been reading the Top Sail lounge allows casual all the time. Am I interpreting that correctly?  

Yes you are. I would go to dinner and then change back to my shorts for the rest of the evening in the TSL.

As we know, people are different. In my experience, many people follow the “I’m on vacation, I want to relax” motto. But what about people who don’t dress up usually & want to while on vacation? I see a number of people on CC who appear to be (or clearly state that they are) retired. I would assume that means they don’t dress up in a suit and tie most of the time. My father is like that, so he likes to dress up while on a cruise. Believe it or not, I’ve had fellow cruisers mutter things under their breath or out loud to the effect of “you’re on vacation, why are you all dressed up”? I think there’s nothing wrong with dressing down (shorts, sandals, etc) while on vacation, but please don’t begrudge those of us who like to put on our glad rags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There was certainly no problem with shorts and t-shirts in YC on Seaview - even on Captain's Night!  We were sniggered at by some in that attire because we were dressed to the nines for the evening in question.  I don't comment on others' dress;  I really wish some would extend the same courtesy!

• Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 8:13 PM, DMH15 said:

Dress code enforcement is suspect on many of the mainstream lines.  

FWIW, It matters not to me what anyone else chooses to wear as long as it is not offensive.  

Here in Dallas I have seen men in dress shorts in nice restaurants during dinner.  Especially when over 100 F.

The restaurants we go to rarely do you see shorts on even 100 degree days , table 13 and 3 forks.

Edited by George C

Just back from Seaside YC.  Here's my observation.....

Dinner (incl. Elegant nights): If you're wearing long pants you're good to go.

Breakfast/Lunch:  If you're wearing clothes, you're good to go.

Seriously, on Elegant Night there were a few people dressed formal, a few people in jeans and tee-shirts and the rest dressed pretty much like they did every other night.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Just back from Seaside YC.  Here's my observation.....

Dinner (incl. Elegant nights): If you're wearing long pants you're good to go.

Breakfast/Lunch:  If you're wearing clothes, you're good to go.

Seriously, on Elegant Night there were a few people dressed formal, a few people in jeans and tee-shirts and the rest dressed pretty much like they did every other night.

I have sailed Seaside two times, always the week after President's Week, and another sailing booked in February and this is exactly how we see people dressed.  We even saw men in nice shorts and button down shirts.

I cruise MSC with my mom and leave my family at home.  When I sail with my dh/adult kids, we sail RCCL and NCL in the Haven, since I know they would prefer the nightlife of those lines over MSC. We have to get dressed every day for work and I like the fact that my dh can wear nice short/collard shirt for dinner, even in Haven/specialty restaurants.  Sometimes my dh/ds are dressed nicer than someone who has a mini dress barely covering themselves but that's just me (maybe my ds would argue that LOL).

Anyway, my experience in the YC has been like the poster I quoted.

Edited by js
  • Like 1

Can anyone comment on YC dress code on Bellissima (western Med) for dinner?  We are trying to pack "carry on" only, and I am struggling with "editing down" our clothes/shoe assortment.  Traveling with my 20 year old grandson who owns some decent pants and button down shirts - but will he be turned away for wearing athletic shoes in the dining room for dinner if his pants/shirt are appropriate?  His size 13 dress shoes take up half of his suitcase 😟!

39 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

There is a large array of styles and colours for athletic shoes. 

I am not seen in more than polo shirt, chinos and sneakers on a cruise evening so they better don't expect dress shoes or button down shirts for YC dinner. 

You will be fine.