Opinion - Hilton Rome Airport vs Crown Plaza Rome

larry_s_taco

We just booked our first European cruise on the NCL Epic for 2020. It is a 7 day round trip Rome. We plan on spending three days in Rome prior to our Cruise. Our question is: The cruse line offers the Hilton Rome Airport, and the Crown Plaza Rome/St Peters Hotel and Spa as our options. I would appreciate opinions on both from those who have personal experience with them. 

Thanks, 

Larry

I have not stayed at either, however I did look seriously at the Crown Plaza for our pre-cruise stay a few years ago, as I had hotel points to spend. I ultimately went with another property as the CP was too far out for touring and the transport options weren't good. Personally I wouldn't even consider staying at the airport as it is quite a ways from Rome.

Are you locked into the cruise line's hotels? Because most of the time you can get a better deal booking on your own. Lots of info on this board regarding hotels and transport in Rome.

2 minutes ago, Twickenham said:

I have not stayed at either, however I did look seriously at the Crown Plaza for our pre-cruise stay a few years ago, as I had hotel points to spend. I ultimately went with another property as the CP was too far out for touring and the transport options weren't good. Personally I wouldn't even consider staying at the airport as it is quite a ways from Rome.

Are you locked into the cruise line's hotels? Because most of the time you can get a better deal booking on your own. Lots of info on this board regarding hotels and transport in Rome.

I'm locked into the two hotels. The cruise line doesn't allow you to fly early if you don't purchase their flight/hotel package. I don't really mind because their flight was about half the price of what I could find elsewhere, and the hotels are reasonable. I know that the Crown Plaza is closer, but both hotels offer shuttle service to downtown Rome. 

Have stayed at the Hilton...nice hotel, great breakfast buffet. I would suggest using the train to go into Rome, you will have more freedom.

But I also wouldn't try to see Rome from the airport. There are pitfalls to cruise line airfares...you just discovered another one.

To be very honest we would not choose either of those hotels for a 3 night stay.  The Hilton FCO (airport) is very convenient for folks with an early flight, but an awful choice if you want to use that as a base to explore Rome.   You are a long way from the city and would have to use a hotel shuttle (not very convenient) or go over to the nearby airport where you could use the train (either the fast/expensive Leonardo Express or a less expensive and slower local train).  Either way you are going to spend a lot of time just getting back and forth to Rome.  And dining at the Airport Hilton is somewhat pricey (you are talking typical Hilton Hotel restaurants).

The Crown Plaza is certainly the better of the two, in terms of location for exploring Rome...but even that hotel is a bit far from the nearest Metro station (I think its about a 15 min walk) and to many of the sites.  Since we have never stayed at the Crown Plaza I cannot speak with a lot of detail (we have stayed at the Airport Hilton several times).

If you have not already made a commitment to using the cruise line hotel packages you might want to explore other Do It Yourself options.  There is a lot of online info regarding Rome hotels and its relatively easy to look at locations and read reviews.  Getting from FCO into Rome is pretty easy via the train.  From a Rome Hotel to the port can be done by arranging a private transfer (we like to use RomeCabs.com) or is possible (and less costly) using the trains (more complicated and a pain if you have a lot of luggage).

Hank

I'm the same as the others.  I've stayed at the Hilton at the end of vacations because I want to have a good long sleep before taking a morning flight (rather than getting early to get a car to the airport).  It's a nice business-class hotel.  As a HHonors Gold, I've always been upgraded and given access to the Lounge.  The hotel is right at the airport - it is maybe a 10 minute walk through the attached structure to the train station.  

I haven't stayed at the Crowne Plaza.  I know it's one that many cruise lines and large tour groups use.  As others have said, it's not near the Centro Storico.  

Thanks to all. Good info to know. I've heard that the Crown Plaza has a shuttle also, and that the bus stops right outside the hotel just in case you don't want to wait for the shuttle to town. I'm not worried about getting to and from the airport  or cruise port because I got those transfers through the cruiseline.

It's a shame that it is really too late for you to do anything else, but just for the record (for others that might read this before booking), neither of these hotels are to be recommended for anyone spending several days in (?) Rome and getting the most from their experience.

Neither hotel has much in the immediate vicinity (e.g., restaurants, etc.).  Both are a long way from what you came to Rome to see and experience -- the history and the beauty and charm of Rome. I would only recommend the hotels at the airport (and then only reluctantly) IF one is needing a place to stay for one night before an early morning flight. My sister and BIL, on taking their first cruise out of Rome, found themselves in the same situation and stayed at the Crown Plaza, and they would say the same as me -- it is NOT worth it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Larry, we stayed at the Crowne about 6 years ago 2  night pre cruise and had all the transfers. It was a nice hotel, great swimming pool. The hotel food wasnt the best, we walked to a restaurant next door that was decent..There was a shuttle that took us into Rome. We had a great time. Going on another cruise out of Rome in Nov 2019.  We booked with CruiseOnly and some how the NCL flight and hotel package got dropped off our booking. So CO had to re book us with another hotel which we will be staying at the Rome Hilton Airport hotel. I think it will be decent with the shuttle. Im trying to figure out how to get from the baggage claim to the hotel with all of our luggage. Im hoping there is a shuttle. Most people say its a 10 min walk. 

There are rolling baggage carts that make it easy. Just take the walkway to the hotel.  Just don’t take the first elevator you come to to get to ground level or you will be trying to cross a very busy road. Go to the end of the walkway and take that elevator down to easily access the Hilton. It is a good ten minute walk. 

On 2/8/2019 at 2:41 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Have stayed at the Hilton...nice hotel, great breakfast buffet. I would suggest using the train to go into Rome, you will have more freedom.

But I also wouldn't try to see Rome from the airport. There are pitfalls to cruise line airfares...you just discovered another one.

Exactly, neither crown plaza is in down town Rome but much closer then Hilton Airport.

Four years ago we stayed at both . Pre cruise we were at the Crowne Plaza . For our purposes that time the location was ok as we were visiting the Vatican etc . We used the hotel shuttle to our meeting point for the tour . On the way home we stayed at the Hilton which was convenient for the flight home . Both hotels were fine . However, this time we will stay pre cruise at a more centrically located property as we will want to see the Colosseum ,Pantheon etc . The hotel on the way  home will be the Hilton if we don't fly home directly from Venice .