* ms Oosterdam in Port Everglades & Zuiderdam in Aruba - Sail a Way - Feb. 9th, 2019*

kazu

Bad luck!  I think if I fell and did something like that, I might just pretend I twisted it and stay on board.  I think they have air boots in the medical room.  And without an x-ray, how can they be sure it is broken?  We have the platinum insurance for our cruise, and it stops the day before we leave, so if something like that happened, the cost of the whole cruise is lost, right?

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Bad luck!  I think if I fell and did something like that, I might just pretend I twisted it and stay on board.  I think they have air boots in the medical room.  And without an x-ray, how can they be sure it is broken?  We have the platinum insurance for our cruise, and it stops the day before we leave, so if something like that happened, the cost of the whole cruise is lost, right?

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that the regular insurance stops when you get on the ship.  Platinum insurance covers you through the entire cruise.  Hope someone can clarify.

Helen

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I think the insurance lasts until you disembark at the end of the voyage.  Most policies have medical evacuation as part of their coverages so you are covered if you injure yourself while in a port and need an air medivac back to the states.

Just now, HELENPSL said:

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that the regular insurance stops when you get on the ship.  Platinum insurance covers you through the entire cruise.  Hope someone can clarify.

Helen

That's my understanding.  Why would insurance bought through HAL not cover such an accident?

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Poor lady; it could have been a compound fracture, and possibly very painful.  It's a terrible way to start (and end) a cruise!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

It's certainly easy to understand how such an accident could happen.  One must watch where you are walking as you walk up the gangway and onto the ship.  It's so tempting to look out the glass windows, but watching where you are walking is so important.

You're all right!  Just checked the policy.

Cancel for any reason prior to the start of HAL travel - you get back 90% of eligible amounts.

Trip interruption - covers up to 150% of total cruise vacation cost, and return home.

Evacuation up to $50,000, medical expenses up to $10,000, and something for baggage loss.

We've never got it before, as we have good medical coverage, but we got it this time because of HAL flights to BA and home, plus 35 days on a ship!:classic_biggrin: 

Just now, rafinmd said:

I probably should be going through the 68 pictures I took at Gyrtviken (plus more on board) but here I am.  What an awful start to a cruise.

Roy

Roy, Enjoy Oostie's departure and then go back to the pictures.  I have been enjoying them on your thread.  Those Icebergs are just huge and you got so close to that one, I would be thinking Titantic as close as they looked in the pictures.

10 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Poor lady; it could have been a compound fracture, and possibly very painful.  It's a terrible way to start (and end) a cruise!

🙂🙂

I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic.  I have sprained my ankle (hit by a small truck) and it was very painful, and I have broken a leg and it was painful too.  I just think I would hate to have to miss out on my cruise!  What a disaster.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I probably should be going through the 68 pictures I took at Gyrtviken (plus more on board) but here I am.  What an awful start to a cruise.

Roy

Hope you had great visit to Grytviken.  Did you drink a toast to Shackleton at his grave?

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Hope you had great visit to Grytviken.  Did you drink a toast to Shackleton at his grave?

Yes and no.  Not a drinker so it had no attraction.  It's discouraged but I heard the gift shop actually sells  small bottles.  I guess they don't mind drinking a toast as long as it isn/t spilled.

Roy